Yet Another Chinese Ghost City or Sci-Fi becoming real ?

CrackSilber

Hey guys,
I know this isn't really computer tech but this is just ridiculous:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_City

The chinese approved of building this huge skyscraper city and it should be assembled in only 90 days (with pre-production 210) !!
I fear the thing won't be ready at all and just fall together.
Kind of what EA does with their games :D

gallery_4760_253_160837.jpg

I would like to see a quick reaction of Linus to this (I guess he would just say "Well it's a big skyscraper and it's ridiculous.... sooooo there you go" :D)

Shout out to Nicktendo, I used his meme.

Intel Q6600@3.2Ghz | HD6870 | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
BF3 medium settings | no vSync | 1080p | 50-70fps (:

I saw a 60 minutes thing on YouTube about these "ghost cities" - quite concerning for Australia when the need for them no longer exists or rather the Chinese realise they're not being used and stop buying our minerals.

I also have concerns over the construction quality given the couple who fell out a window in a Chinese super tower after it gave way.

I saw a 60 minutes thing on YouTube about these "ghost cities" - quite concerning for Australia when the need for them no longer exists or rather the Chinese realise they're not being used and stop buying our minerals.

I'll get around to watching it soon, saw an ad for it the other night, but what's the actual thinking behind them? Are they built in preparation for population increases that investors think they will make money off?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

You know, it's funny.

I don't think I've ever heard of a country building infrastructure it didn't need yet. 

I mean, you could think of it like a future investment (in higher population), but still. It's weird. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

To me, the company behind all of this and the way they construct it, is more interesting!

Will be looking forward to this personally.

That's what I'm concerned about.

They are a very young company and the highest they ever did was 30 stories.

They are extremely cheap which scares me.

How can an ultra-skyscraper be safe when it's build as fast as possible and as cheap as possible ?

Intel Q6600@3.2Ghz | HD6870 | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
BF3 medium settings | no vSync | 1080p | 50-70fps (:

That's what I'm concerned about.

They are a very young company and the highest they ever did was 30 stories.

They are extremely cheap which scares me.

How can an ultra-skyscraper be safe when it's build as fast as possible and as cheap as possible ?

And by people with basically no experience regarding these types of buildings (big)?

It's literally a perfect recipe for disaster. The ONLY good part of it is that it's far more than likely no one will live in this building before it collapses.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

And by people with basically no experience regarding these types of buildings (big)?

It's literally a perfect recipe for disaster. The ONLY good part of it is that it's far more than likely no one will live in this building before it collapses.

though this is scary, it would also be interesting if they're able to pull it off.  

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

though this is scary, it would also be interesting if they're able to pull it off.  

Then they'd be the best industrial company ever. All or nothing. I like it. :P

† Christian Member †

I'll get around to watching it soon, saw an ad for it the other night, but what's the actual thinking behind them? Are they built in preparation for population increases that investors think they will make money off?

I don't quite know - theres entire cities built that are empty. Like take sydney and then remove everybody and you've got china.

please those chinese people are quite smart they will pull it of  (at lease i hope) 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

2,700 ft skyscraper for only a bit more than $600 Million? Not going anywhere near that.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Don't trust their capacitors.

Don't trust their buldings.

Only joking :p

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

You know, it's funny.

I don't think I've ever heard of a country building infrastructure it didn't need yet. 

I mean, you could think of it like a future investment (in higher population), but still. It's weird. 

Many would argue that is what the NBN is in Australia :lol: .

Sometimes to ward of a lag in the economy, a government will commission a certain number of projects that, at their very least, will stop some major companies going broke during tighter times.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.