Is there a gaming laptop with decent battery life?

Looperted

Recently I bought a Lenovo Y50 4K, expecting about 4 hours or so of battery life as that's what stated, but in absolutely zero conditions will I get close to those results.  It's also a bit too large for my liking.  And I'm a student, so good battery is pretty necessary.

I'm also no hardcore PC gamer, demanding free-roam games that will be awful on PC's for a while like Assassin's Creed will be left to my PS4.

What I'm looking for is 6 hours or greater battery life when web surfing or word editing.  All I want to do is play the occasional game of battlefield or something of that sort.  Other than battery life, screen quality is my number one priority, with the laptop's overall design being number 2.

My budget is around $1000, close to what I can get for this laptop if I sell it.

Desktop: Uhh....

My Console: PlayStation 4      My Phone: ~~Nexus 6~~ RIP. Now a Moto G     

My Tablet: iPad Air 2     My Laptop: Lenovo Y50 4K (i7-4710HQ/12GB Ram/860M)

The problem is that when you unplug the battery the GPU loses most of its power and downclocks itself. You're not getting the full performance without the power pack.

The problem is that when you unplug the battery the GPU loses most of its power and downclocks itself. You're not getting the full performance without the power pack.

I'm not looking for good battery when gaming, I'm looking for battery life when doing everyday notebook things.

Recently I bought a Lenovo Y50 4K, expecting about 4 hours or so of battery life as that's what stated, but in absolutely zero conditions will I get close to those results.  It's also a bit too large for my liking.  And I'm a student, so good battery is pretty necessary.

I'm also no hardcore PC gamer, demanding free-roam games that will be awful on PC's for a while like Assassin's Creed will be left to my PS4.

What I'm looking for is 6 hours or greater battery life when web surfing or word editing.  All I want to do is play the occasional game of battlefield or something of that sort.  Other than battery life, screen quality is my number one priority, with the laptop's overall design being number 2.

My budget is around $1000, close to what I can get for this laptop if I sell it.

I'm willing to take that Y50 off of your hands :P

Though I only have $23.03 that I could pay for it right now....

Also, Demanding free-roam games are great on PC when companies optimize them correctly. (Unlike ubisoft)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Honestly, the new Broadwell Lenovo Y40.

When you're not gaming, you're using a ULV CPU and iGPU. Basically Ultrabook power consumption combined with a gaming laptop battery.

"Rawr XD"

I'm not looking for good battery when gaming, I'm looking for battery life when doing everyday notebook things.

Then the laptop usually downclocks itself my G750 usually lasts 4-5 hours when doing things like word processing or browsing the web.

In that case, they usually switch to the iGPU. (If they are smart)

The Lenovo Y40 gets decent battery life. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Anything with a 6 cell or larger battery and no ODD slot with optimus or Enduro should last pretty decently on battery. 3 hours minimum, especially if screen brightness is lowered.

Please note: Higher refresh rate screens = more power drawn and higher resolution screens = more power drawn.

Having SSDs only and no HDDs help with battery life slightly too.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Honestly, the new Broadwell Lenovo Y40.

When you're not gaming, you're using a ULV CPU and iGPU. Basically Ultrabook power consumption combined with a gaming laptop battery.

Ugh

I guess I'll check that out, although I don't exactly need a new laptop until this fall, maybe something better can happen by then.

What I don't get is why can a company make a laptop with an Optical drive, an i7, SLI 970m's, multiple m.2/msata slots, and a HDD, but they just cant make one with a bigger battery.

What I don't get is why can a company make a laptop with an Optical drive, an i7, SLI 970m's, multiple m.2/msata slots, and a HDD, but they just cant make one with a bigger battery.

In a gaming laptop, bigger heatsinks and fans are more important then a bigger battery :P

"Rawr XD"

Ugh

I guess I'll check that out, although I don't exactly need a new laptop until this fall, maybe something better can happen by then.

It's the size of the battery vs the density of the cells. Sure we could toss in a 20-cell battery, but that'd be over half the size of an ultrabook.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

In a gaming laptop, bigger heatsinks and fans are more important then a bigger battery :P

But when they stick an optical drive bay in there instead of some extra battery....

It's the size of the battery vs the density of the cells. Sure we could toss in a 20-cell battery, but that'd be over half the size of an ultrabook.

But when they stick an optical drive bay in there instead of some extra battery....