Here's Why RAM is so Expensive Right Now

http://www.eteknix.com/dram-supply-shortage-will-last-until-the-end-of-the-year/

So, companies aren't producing RAM and they're starting to gain less and less profit, so prices have skyrocketed. I'm sure they'll go back down, but not soon enough.

I'm hoping that with the release of DDR4 will cause manufacturers to get their heads back in the game to help lower prices again.

I'm sure glad I got my 16 GB for $40 when I did! It's looking upwards of $140 nowadays. 

Manufacturers just need to keep in mind that the PC building market is constantly increasing and should keep up production. Hopefully no other parts start having an influx of cost.

Don't worry, this will probably last for maximum of a year and everything should be back to normal. The Price of the ram has gone up and down but it also depends on the speed of it. I know that 2000Mhz+ is way more expensive than 1600Mhz (mainstream).

I paid 100 USD for my 16GB of Kingston HyperX Blu^^

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

RAM around this time last year was so cheap!

Darn, I should have hoarded some. :lol:  I have a new build upcoming, and it seems I have to cheap out on some ram sticks first.

Last November I got 8GB free with my MSI motherboard and got another 8GB for $38! 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

RAM is not expensive now... it was just cheap earlier.

It's all relative. I'm clearly comparing it to earlier, so it is expensive in my context.

Yes, ram is getting more expensive, but since it was cheap already, this is not unexpected, not just that, i am already seeing less ram models to buy in stores, as they stated 2013 shortage is in state. This might even be the new direction of the manufacturers, because 2014 should be the ddr4 launch year, and if you remember when ddr3 launched ddr2 was still too strong, i mean you can still buy a lot of ddr2 ram sticks laying around in storage, and at launch time, a lot of people went and bought ddr2 instead of ddr3 because there was no real difference in real world applications...

ddr4 should not be that much faster so you should not need an upgrade, the problem is that manufacturers might be pushing us to switch faster to a new standard, and focus on manufacturing it, this is just my guess, no sources involved, it's based on the fact that PC are not improving too much, so people keep their machines for a longer period, and manufacturers need to make profit, or they would go out of business. Again this is just my train of taught...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

computer components always level out anyway, when doing a build now it will cost the same as it would have a year ago as other things like SSD's and hard drives have dropped in price.

all the people who still game with around 4gigs of ram will need to get another 8 to keep up with next gen console games so maybe there raising it to get more profit when they know people will need the ram most

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Don't worry, this will probably last for maximum of a year and everything should be back to normal. The Price of the ram has gone up and down but it also depends on the speed of it. I know that 2000Mhz+ is way more expensive than 1600Mhz (mainstream).

I paid 100 USD for my 16GB of Kingston HyperX Blu^^

But in a year DDR4 is coming to Haswell-E.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Hopefully DDR4 would be cheap by the end of 2014/start of 2015 which is the projected time for my next build, doubt RAM will ever be as cheap as before though, which is pretty sad.. (Should have bought 16/32GB instead of 8GB, fer the sake of it)

It most likely means the release of DDR4, this happened when DDR3 came out, the DDR2 got more expensive, and not many manufacturers were making much DDR2.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

About 3 years ago a 6GB kit of Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz C8 latency memory set me back about $270 AUD, you can now get a similar ram kit for <$100, ram is not expensive right now

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600

Haswell cant support DDR4? :(

Not right now. Haswell-E will. 

I payed 32 dollars at NCIX for my 2x4Gb 1600 Rip Jawz memory (November 2012) and I was thinking of picking up another 8 gb kit its like 80 dollars for 8gbs Its getting a bit crazy

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

So in order for me to get DDR4 I'll need a new cpu?

Well, you'll need a new motherboard, and as far as I know the only one that will support it is going to be whichever chipset Intel decides to use with Haswell-E. So yes, until more information is released on what the plan is with DDR4.

So in order for me to get DDR4 I'll need a new cpu?

You will need lots of money for an entry level 3820 equivalent and motherboard. And DDR4 is going to be ridiulously expensive at launch.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

RAM is not expensive now... it was just cheap earlier.

Home Machine:

Ryzen 5900x Processor - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

ASUS PG348Q Monitor -- Samsung 34" TV -  1080ti Card

NAS:

Ryzen 5600x - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

Hot Swap 3u - Redundant Power