Improve my PcPartPicker List!

Jamdog

I'm a bit of a noob to this forum - despite watching LMG videos for the last year.

Here is my PcPartPicker list - I dont want to spend any more than I already am and it will be used for light-medium video editing and 3D modelling in 3DS Max and Maya. Gaming is not the intended use, but I can't help myself from a little of it.

I would be grateful if people could have a look at the list and recommend better products for it.  - Thanks!

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/BvcWwP

get an 4690k and a 970, other ssd, no thermal compound there is one with the CM 212 Evo

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

EVGA psu, defineatly not Kingston SSD, maybe ram with a heatsink

EVGA psu

Them sexy red cables.... Mmmmm...

Specs:

Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz cooled by Corsair H80i | ASUS Maximus VII Formula |  G.Skill 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 2133 | EVGA 980 Superclocked (Fry) | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro OS Drive | WD Black HDD | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair Vengeance K70 | Logitech G502 Proteus Core

lol @ AMD 8350

Looks good to me, but get an MX100. Kingston SSDs are a no go

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£181.00 @ Amazon UK) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£88.76 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£53.94 @ Aria PC) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (£269.96 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£46.39 @ Aria PC) 

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£90.11 @ Amazon UK) 

Monitor: LG 22MP55HQ-P 60Hz 22.0" Monitor  (£101.83 @ CCL Computers) 

Monitor: LG 22MP55HQ-P 60Hz 22.0" Monitor  (£101.83 @ CCL Computers) 

Total: £1097.26

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-25 19:45 GMT+0000

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Thanks, I've got rid of the thermal compound and upgraded to the 840 evo.

How important is it to get the evga psu? It's an extra £40

I'd have to see some serious proof against the Silverstone PSU before I'd change that --- it's not £40 worse than an EVGA that I've yet to hear.

@Jamdog

Do you plan on overclocking the cpu ? If not I would suggest a Xeon cpu.

@Jamdog

Do you plan on overclocking the cpu ? If not I would suggest a Xeon cpu.

I heard of somebody getting 6GHz on the 4790k - not that the cooler is anywhere near that level so I think I should be able to get about 4.5GHz. I don't *need* to overclock - 4GHz is plenty for vegas 13.

I had a look at Xeon E3's and was surprised - I always thought that they were far out of budget but they're actually around the same price. Given that the specifications are the same - only with a lower clock will a Xeon be a noticably more powerful processor?

I heard of somebody getting 6GHz on the 4790k - not that the cooler is anywhere near that level so I think I should be able to get about 4.5GHz. I don't *need* to overclock - 4GHz is plenty for vegas 13.

I had a look at Xeon E3's and was surprised - I always thought that they were far out of budget but they're actually around the same price. Given that the specifications are the same - only with a lower clock will a Xeon be a noticably more powerful processor?

I think 6GHz is probably with extreme overclocking ala 8pack style. 

The Xeon is basically equivalent to a locked i7. I think you can get a slight overclock on it, but obviously not as much as you would with a 'k' cpu.

It is pretty good value for money though, as it is priced not much more than an i5. You don't get onboard graphics, but as you have a dedicated graphics card that isn't really an issue.

This has Hyperthreading just like the i7 and is nearly £60 cheaper. It will boost to 3.7GHz in turbo mode -  http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31230v3

If you want to overclock, and can fit the i7 4790K in your budget then go with that. If not then the Xeon is a good alternative