Is it possible to overclock i5-4690k on H97?

Hi, I own a Gigabyte H97 mobo and I'm actually deciding to change CPU before I get a new GPU to maintain 0 bottlenecks. I'm thinking of an i5-4690k but since I have a H97 chipset is there any possible way to increase frequancy of the CPU or is non-K the only option to go for? I don't want to change the mobo to Z97 because I can't really be bothered :/

Evidence Of Evil

Hi, I own a Gigabyte H97 mobo and I'm actually deciding to change CPU before I get a new GPU to maintain 0 bottlenecks. I'm thinking of an i5-4690k but since I have a H97 chipset is there any possible way to increase frequancy of the CPU or is non-K the only option to go for? I don't want to change the mobo to Z97 because I can't really be bothered :/

It depends on what specific board but most H97 do support OC'ing with a BIOS update.

If it does, it'd only be via the multiplier. It wouldnt be like a Z-series board.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Nope its not possible

My Red/Black rig: CM Storm Trooper Window - i5 4690K - Asus GTX 980 Strix DCU - Asus VII Formula z97 - Corsair H100i - 16GB Vengeance pro 2400MHz -Samsung 850 Pro 256GB(os) - Seagate barracuda 2TB - crucial BX200 250GB SSD - Cooler Master v850.----  Dell XPS 13: i5-5500u - 256GB SSD - 8GB DDR3L.

It depends on what specific board but most H97 do support OC'ing with a BIOS update.

I have the H97M D3H

Evidence Of Evil

Just get Xeon 1231v3, you wont be able to overclock near the performance you get from hyperthreading in games.

And you dont even need aftermarket cpu cooler, just downvolt, there are tutorials.

Just get Xeon 1231v3, you wont be able to overclock near the performance you get from hyperthreading in games.

And you dont even need aftermarket cpu cooler, just downvolt, there are tutorials.

You state that the hyperthreading on the Xeon 1231v3 will benefit him more in games then the higher clockrate of an overclocked 4690K?

If that's what you meant, then no. How many games use 8 threads?

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

If it's able to overclock what is the maximum clock speed I could get?

Evidence Of Evil

If it's able to overclock what is the maximum clock speed I could get?

I think the multiplier can be bumped to at least the maximum turbo boost multiplier. So you'll get the dual core turbo boot performance on all cores.

Might go a bit above tho. Also as every other CPU you can increase the base clock, but it's a bit more challenging, since not only the CPU speed is linked to it.

Haven't done it myself tho.

P.S. Found this thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/200789-oc-i5-4690k-with-h97-chipset-motherboard/I think it has what you need.

EDIT: Just noticed that your board was not ASUS. You might check the forums I've seen a guy overclock a 4690 non-K to like 4.5 or something. I think it will apply to you. Not sure where tho. I'll try to find it after work hours.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

You state that the hyperthreading on the Xeon 1231v3 will benefit him more in games then the higher clockrate of an overclocked 4690K?

If that's what you meant, then no. How many games use 8 threads?

yep, the same way i3 is better than overclocked pentium 4.6ghz in games

just look at watch dogs. we know 100% it uses both hyperthreading and more than 4 cores.

old sandy bridge i7 at same clock as haswell i5. sandy beats it,... because hyperthreading.

also in son of rome

http://gamegpu.ru/test-video-cards/igry-2014-goda-protiv-protsessorov-test-gpu.html

not to mention AMD Zen cpu will also feature SMT, so... games do and will use hyperthreading.

and dont tell me 100mhz on 4770k over 4670k is making like 10 - 20 fps difference xD

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

yep, the same way i3 is better than overclocked pentium 4.6ghz in games

just look at watch dogs. we know 100% it uses both hyperthreading and more than 4 cores.

old sandy bridge i7 at same clock as haswell i5. sandy beats it,... because hyperthreading.

also in son of rome

http://gamegpu.ru/test-video-cards/igry-2014-goda-protiv-protsessorov-test-gpu.html

not to mention AMD Zen cpu will also feature SMT, so... games do and will use hyperthreading.

and dont tell me 100mhz on 4770k over 4670k is making like 10 - 20 fps difference xD

The jump from Pentium to i3 is MUCH bigger than from an i5 to an i7.

More games use 1-2-3-4 threads than games use 5+, so the difference between the Pentium and the i3 is logical, but from the i5 to the i5 with hyperthreading isn't.

This graph shows only a few games that are well optimized for multithreaded performance. If the 8350 performs better than the 4670K, there's something wrong.

The Xeon will be a much better choice if he doesn't manage to get a overclock on the 4690K, but if he could then the i5 will beat the Xeon in MOST titles.

Not including dragon age inquisition, bf4 and similar where the things might still be on pair.

Both are great choices, but I'd get the i5 if there is a way to overclock it on the H97.

^^this is the answer

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The jump from Pentium to i3 is MUCH bigger than from an i5 to an i7.

More games use 1-2-3-4 threads than games use 5+, so the difference between the Pentium and the i3 is logical, but from the i5 to the i5 with hyperthreading isn't.

This graph shows only a few games that are well optimized for multithreaded performance. If the 8350 performs better than the 4670K, there's something wrong.

The Xeon will be a much better choice if he doesn't manage to get a overclock on the 4690K, but if he could then the i5 will beat the Xeon in MOST titles.

Not including dragon age inquisition, bf4 and similar where the things might still be on pair.

Both are great choices, but I'd get the i5 if there is a way to overclock it on the H97.

you didnt look at benchmarks?

"Only a few"

ALL OF THEM??

I am not going to post all benchmarks, if you are lazy too look yourself. I dont deal with hypothetical if there are benchmarks.

why the f**k is 8 core 16 thread @ 3ghz on top then?

geezus

not only that but also Mantle and Coming DX12 will support even load across all cores

so xeon wins unless you watercool 4690k or need strong fpu perf

@HyperHertz I checked the official site for your MOBO and none of the BIOS updates were about enabling OC, so the Xeon might be better for your situation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-snip-

Lets calm down a bit. We all want the truth!

First of all, no benchmark here shows a OC 4690K and the Xeon isn't in any benchmarks.

About the "8 core 16 thread @ 3ghz on top", are you sure that the i7-5xxxs have the same IPC as the Devils Canyon CPUs?

I checked the same site and in the first game that I saw there was Dying Light.

In the benchmarks the 4670K held above the old i7s...

I've seen a lot of benchmarks where the 4690K pulls before the locked i7s WHEN OCed.

If you can find a benchmark showing the Xeon vs OC 4690K, then there will be a point to discuss. Until then it's still theoretical.

are you sure that the i7-5xxxs have the same IPC as the Devils Canyon CPUs?

They sure do, everything that is haswell based has the same IPC count (same performance per core if at the same clockspeed.)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Wow, that article destroys the notion that most games can't make use of 8 threads. The only recent game I have played that only uses 4 threads is Dying Light. I don't think this trend was too hard to see coming with the consoles being effective octacores with really weak IPC and with them being the main target for developers since they're where most of the sales come from. 

First of all, no benchmark here shows a OC 4690K and the Xeon isn't in any benchmarks.

The Xeon E3-1231v3 is about 97% of a stock i7-4770k due to the 100MHz lower clock, which is consistent with the i7-4770k at stock having a 2% advantage over the Xeon E3-1231v3 in Firestrike's physics score.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5896552

They sure do, everything that is haswell based has the same IPC count (same performance per core if at the same clockspeed.)

Ok that's cleared out.

Still the difference in the cache is HUGE. 20 > 6. 

When Linus put together the OC pentium vs the i7 X the cache played a big role.

snip

xeon is just an i7 without igpu and some other stuffs we dont need like ecc mem support and other instructions

this is how looks benchmark with only 4 cores supported, just so you know. difference between i5 and i7 is cache

difference between 8 core and 6 core and 4 core FX is cache and because windows is switching between cores so fast, it is accesing sometimes full cores not just two cores in first two modules, but also one core in each module with full resources. thats why if you disable one ALU cluster in each 8350 module it will perform vastly better than fx 4350

Just so you know so there is no confusion why i7 is better for 0.3 fps  etc..

2671271-3489784541-rome2.png

Maybe you are right, i cant find benchmarks.

I know its tall order, but could you find benches here please? http://pclab.pl/

They got overclocked results, as you can see from up bench picture.

Thanks, i go now. Looking forward for results.

-snip-

I searched for a few titles that came to mind but I saw no OC benchmarks of Haswell CPUs.

Linus should do a video on Xeon-1231v3 vs OCed i5-4690K, pls?

Similar priced beasts that seem to be made for different tasks. Is the famous 4690K really that good for gaming?

EDIT: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/07/03/intel-core-i5-4690k-review/5

here we see a comparison between an OC 4690K and a 4770k at stock speeds.

The OCed 4690K pulls ahead everywhere?

I know that 4.8 might not be an OC that everybody would get, but... it's still something!

EDIT: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/07/03/intel-core-i5-4690k-review/5

here we see a comparison between an OC 4690K and a 4770k at stock speeds.

The OCed 4690K pulls ahead everywhere?

I know that 4.8 might not be an OC that everybody would get, but... it's still something!

That's not a surprise that two games from 2011 would greatly favor clockrate over threads.

That's not a surprise that two games from 2011 would greatly favor clockrate over threads.

Still the majority of games are old. There are like 5-10 AAA titles a year and people still play older games.

However If DX12 is adopted in 2 years, and the trend for games to use more threads continues, I can see how Xeons like 1231v3 and i7s will become the standard.

That is, of course, if intel doesn't decide to make affordable i5s with 6/8cores and continue the no multithreading strategy.

And I'm sure Zen will have the appropriate amount of cores anyways.

Still the majority of games are old. There are like 5-10 AAA titles a year and people still play older games.

However If DX12 is adopted in 2 years, and the trend for games to use more threads continues, I can see how Xeons like 1231v3 and i7s will become the standard.

That is, of course, if intel doesn't decide to make affordable i5s with 6/8cores and continue the no multithreading strategy.

And I'm sure Zen will have the appropriate amount of cores anyways.

looks like i5 takes the cake, but i cant find other benchmarks. i guess we just wait for dx12 to drop.

bf4_1920a.png

wd_1920n.png

What 1150 CPU are you on now? If it's a locked i5 it will Not be bottlenecking performance.

Computer Spec: CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.85GHz Delided    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2*4GB    GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970    PSU: Corsair RM650    Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD    Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD   Case: NZXT H440 Red and Black 

Cooling: EK PWM D5 Pump & EK 140ML RES Combo unit , EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block , 360mm Alphacool Radiator , 3 Noctua NF-F12 Fans on the radiator , Some fancy fittings