Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (well, parts of it anyway) getting hot?

So I've got that motherboard... I know, probably a terrible decision - should have opted for a lower cost ASUS motherboard or put in some extra cash and choose the Sabertooth... or a 970 chipset motherboard, since they seem to be just as good ANYWAY.

I've noticed that the radiators covering the mosfets (the ones that deliver power to the CPU, I believe) are getting SCORCHING hot at times. Some times I can't even touch them. And that's with the system idle, like... not gaming or anything like that. I haven't tried touching them yet while gaming (I fear a black hole will form or something).

Anyway. That's not the issue. The issue is... the desk I'm holding my PC in (wood above, below and in the right / left of the case, but nothing in its back or in front of it, you know) is getting hot. If I put my hand in the empty space between the case and the wood walls, it's like an oven in there. The PC case itself is very warm, like a room heater put on low if you know what I mean.

That's while gaming, anyway. With Unreal Tournament 3 maxxed out.

I use Open Hardware Monitor to monitor the temperatures of my PC... I'm not sure how accurate it is, so I'll let you guys decide. Below is a screenshot... temp values outlined with red = while gaming, temp values outlined with green = while idling (Windows, Chrome & such - nothing impressive).

-----

The GPU (Gigabyte Radeon 4860 OC WindForce 3X) stays in ~45 Celsius at idle and doesn't seem to exceed ~50 while gaming, and I'd say the temp sensor on that is pretty accurate.

-----

So, are those readings correct? Bear in mind that the processor is an AMD FX-6300 cooled by a Cooler Master TX3 EVO. Behind that, there is an out-take fan. I also got a front in-take fan. I also have a 240mm side-panel in-take fan and a 120mm top out-take fan (but those are disconnected right now). With those in mind... are those temp values (for the CPU, at least) correct? It looks kind of cold to me...I mean I know AMD processors get really hot, so what the hell...

And the motherboard? 55 Celsius seems pretty hot, but not hot enough to make the case THAT warm. :\

post-76761-0-16280200-1424558946.jpg

if your worried about your mosfets even though those are fine temps. you could get a cooler that blows down on the mosfets, or you could put a little fan that blows on them(i don't recommend small fans). I woulden't worry about it, and not waste money on a new cooler.

Dude... I normal for VRM to get hot since the CPU is pretty power hungry and 990FXA-UD3 is a pretty solid board... If you think theyre hotter than 55C, use an infrared termometer and add a fan above VRM heatsink if you want it cooler...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

55C for a motherboard especially if it's the VRM is pretty normal, I'd be worried if you going into the 70C with overclocking or power hungry CPU's.

I overclocked the CPU from 3.5 GHz to 3.8 GHz. But Speccy and Open HW Monitor don't seem to show higher temperatures.

I just removed the side panel and am keeping the case like in front of my legs while gaming. Touching the CPU radiator from time to time and it's hot... like the radiator alone is 40+ Celsius, so the CPU has got to be >50, yet Speccy and Open HW Monitor say it's 40~45... what the hell.

Dude... I normal for VRM to get hot since the CPU is pretty power hungry and 990FXA-UD3 is a pretty solid board... If you think theyre hotter than 55C, use an infrared termometer and add a fan above VRM heatsink if you want it cooler...

I'll just plug in the 240mm side-panel fan (that blows on the CPU and motherboard - so some air flow has got to reach the VRM as well). See how that goes...

Anyway I need to find a way to limit that fan. It's on MOLEX right now, so not much I can control about it... must make it work on 7V or 5V, cause it's too loud. Anyway, that's a job for another day.

I overclocked the CPU from 3.5 GHz to 3.8 GHz. But Speccy and Open HW Monitor don't seem to show higher temperatures.

I just removed the side panel and am keeping the case like in front of my legs while gaming. Touching the CPU radiator from time to time and it's hot... like the radiator alone is 40+ Celsius, so the CPU has got to be >50, yet Speccy and Open HW Monitor say it's 40~45... what the hell.

Getting a reading is more accurate then relying on just touching the heatsinks, if you need an alternate temp reading a temp probe on the multimeter is your best bet. Since you overclocked your it it's pretty normal to run at 55C on the motherboard it's not a problem and for the CPU 40C isn't that hot.

I'll just plug in the 240mm side-panel fan 

240mm fan?!

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Getting a reading is more accurate then relying on just touching the heatsinks, if you need an alternate temp reading a temp probe on the multimeter is your best bet. Since you overclocked your it it's pretty normal to run at 55C on the motherboard it's not a problem and for the CPU 40C isn't that hot.

SpeedFan / Open HW Monitor show the core CPU temp as 19 Celsius right now. Which is like... what water coolers achieve, not air ones? I'm like WUT?! It's TOO cold to be true -- possible sensor issue? Or is this for real?

240mm fan?!

200mm, sorry. But it was loud, so I reversed the MOLEX connector (due to lack of other options) and forced it the other way around so it's at 5V right now.

According to this, the second temperature reading is for the CPU (huh? base, environment around the CPU or what the hell) and the third one is for the North Bridge... I don't get it :/

SpeedFan / Open HW Monitor show the core CPU temp as 19 Celsius right now. Which is like... what water coolers achieve, not air ones? I'm like WUT?! It's TOO cold to be true -- possible sensor issue? Or is this for real?

That's strange unless your room is 19C or less that's impossible to achieve lower than room temps. It does sound like a possible sensor error but was the earlier 40C on the CPU  idle or during stress testing?

I've noticed that the radiators covering the mosfets (the ones that deliver power to the CPU, I believe) are getting SCORCHING hot at times.

of course, with a cpu that can draw as much power as an high end graphics card from the wall, what do you expect?

even the best motherboard in the world will do that!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That's strange unless your room is 19C or less that's impossible to achieve lower than room temps. It does sound like a possible sensor error but was the earlier 40C on the CPU  idle or during stress testing?

Stress testing... if playing Xonotic and Unreal Tournament 3 can be taken into account :D

200mm, sorry. But it was loud, so I reversed the MOLEX connector (due to lack of other options) and forced it the other way around so it's at 5V right now.

Connect your fans red wire to 12v(the yellow one on Molex) and black wire to 5volts (the red one). This will make your fan run at 7v.

Connect your fans red wire to 12v(the yellow one on Molex) and black wire to 5volts (the red one). This will make your fan run at 7v.

The MOLEX cable coming from the PSU is all black. The MOLEX connectors of the fans have only two wires (first and second, black & red).

When the summer comes, I'll have to switch them to 7V, so I'll rely on this to make the modifications.

Stress testing... if playing Xonotic and Unreal Tournament 3 can be taken into account :D

Wait 19C during stress testing, that's definitely a faulty sensor if that's happen but if it's 40C during stress it's not bad at all.

Wait 19C during stress testing, that's definitely a faulty sensor if that's happen but if it's 40C during stress it's not bad at all.

According to Open Hardware Monitor, the CPU is sittingat 30 Celsius right now (browsing Chrome), and the maximum it got was 51.4 Celsius (which was while gaming). Okay, so I've got good temps, alright.

But I don't know what those three sensors on the motherboard read. One of them shows 54 Celsius maximum and another 51. While one shows 34 Celsius (guess that's ambiental, like on the far side of the board lol). Those sensors are definitely not for the VRM, as those heatsinks are scorching hot (much more than 50 Celsius, I'm sure)... so I'm not really sure what they're showing :/

thats safe, i had a motherboard where the heatsinks used to get to 70c and it was fine, and still works to this day before i upgraded it, as long as the case has good airflow it should be ok

Those mosfet and vrm temps are not mindblowing.

As soon as they go pass 90C then you should worry

The MOLEX cable coming from the PSU is all black. The MOLEX connectors of the fans have only two wires (first and second, black & red).

When the summer comes, I'll have to switch them to 7V, so I'll rely on this to make the modifications.

Just see in which one the red wire goes into... It sgould be the 12v one

Those mosfet and vrm temps are not mindblowing.

As soon as they go pass 90C then you should worry

I'm not sure if any of these three sensors this motherboard has is for the VRMs...

Just see in which one the red wire goes into... It sgould be the 12v one

Yeah, it is. I swapped the connector around and plugged in that way (forcibly), so it's on 5V now (I guess). It'll do, for a while.