Samsung 840 EVO SSD slow down issue - not actually solved.

GoodBytes

Got a 120GB mSATA and then 250GB and 1TB EVOs in 2.5" format.

The latter 2 have been in storage since I wiped them and ran the performance restoration tool, so no idea if they are affected.

The mSATA one seems to be doing fine, but then again all its data is less than a month old.

I'm going to ask Samsung if I can upgrade mine to 850PROs at a reasonable price. Their color suits my build better anyway.

Next month there will be a "performance restoration" tool that Samsung will include in it's SSD software, which is something you'll need to run every now and then when performance drops.

Which I guess is going to be Windows-only. I love how many companies just go ahead and assume that everybody uses Windows.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Which I guess is going to be Windows-only. I love how many companies just go ahead and assume that everybody uses Windows.

They released a bootable tool last time, so no worries.

They released a bootable tool last time, so no worries.

Oh that's good info. I didn't know about that, but it is still far less convenient than a native port to more platforms...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

It makes me wonder if the EVO 850s will end up having similar problems.

Um surprisingly it is faster for me since it came. Seems like random read/write is going up instead of down.

If this is true, I am fking done with samsung

Its only a problem with the 840 EVO.

My 850 Pros are amazing but the EVO has gotten so bad it doesn't work at all, had to be removed because it made the rest of my PC slow as fuck.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Its only a problem with the 840 EVO.

My 850 Pros are amazing but the EVO has gotten so bad it doesn't work at all, had to be removed because it made the rest of my PC slow as fuck.

The 840 non-EVO's are affected as well. I installed one in my wife's pc a long time ago.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

My time line:

First 2 months: full speed

month 3-6: 450/450

month 6-9: 250/250

1 year later: 130/130

Then i updated the firmware and the cycle is starting again....

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Samsung e-mail the media that it acknowledges that the performance drop over time of old data written on the Samsung 840 EVO SSD is actually not fixed yet.

DSC_1039_678x452_678x452.jpg

The company states:

To be clear, the performance restoration tool is something you'll need to execute every now and then to keep the performance of the 840 EVO up and running with the same original performance.

Basically it is a workaround until Samsung figures it out, if it can.

The performance drop of the 840 EVO is a combination of TLC NAND cell charge decay and NAND management algorithm issues.

TLC%20asd_575px.PNG

Samsung is not saying what is the cause of the problem, and only that they are still investigating.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8997/samsung-releases-statement-on-840-evo-performance-another-fix-is-in-the-works

http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/Samsung-Promises-Another-Fix-840-EVO-Slow-Down-Issue

They've promised to fix it it would seem.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Good thing I don't plan to keep mine too long...

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

This is why I suggest SP900 over 850 EVO.

There were so many Samsung fanboys that were defending the 840 EVO saying it was just a firmware glitch... yeah, bullshit. TLC just simply can't be trusted. 

"Rawr XD"

• 5 months later...

recovering an old threat, i know....

I just tested my 840 evo, and i only have 250mb/s sequential read and write. I just installed Win 10 and thought it needed tweaking. I did get a firmware update for the ssd but no change.

Is this still a problem with no solution, or is win 10 in need of tweeks to take advantage of win 10?

thought this was a better place to ask rather than creating a new thread...

250 ... Is it connected to a SATA2 or a SATA3 port?  If it's a SATA2, the theoretical maximum speed is 275MB/s and the realistic figure is around 250.

huh.... according to samsung magician i only run a sata2 at the moment, but it should (and has) run sata 3. probably should look into that :-)

recovering an old threat, i know....

I just tested my 840 evo, and i only have 250mb/s sequential read and write. I just installed Win 10 and thought it needed tweaking. I did get a firmware update for the ssd but no change.

Is this still a problem with no solution, or is win 10 in need of tweeks to take advantage of win 10?

thought this was a better place to ask rather than creating a new thread...

Did you use the Samsung repair tool?

SATA2 is 375MB/s theoretical max

Did you use the Samsung repair tool?

SATA2 is 375MB/s theoretical max

375 ?

Hang on ... 3000 divided by 8 ...  Yup, you're right.  My bad.  That would make 350 the number we're looking for.  So there might be more to it.

are we talking the performance optimization option in magician??

if not, where can i get it?

are we talking the performance optimization option in magician??

if not, where can i get it?

Ah, magician is the new one, I was referring to the old one which you can't even get off Samsung's site anymore.  I don't think it is necessary

But for example, this is my 840 EVO.  I only did the first fix when the drive was brand new

VzDJNiv.png

that would probably mean i am affected by the issue :-(

pretty sad considering i have 4 x 840 evo in my home.........

SSD requires regular defragmentation to maintain performance is just sucks. I think Samsung should issue a product recall.

I couldn't even begin to imagine how much that would cost them as the 840 evo seemed to be the most recommended SSD for a long time and I'm sure sold incredibly well.

I almost picked one up my self as I was looking to upgrade my old SSD just as the initial story really started to spread.

I ended up grabbing an Intel 530 instead. (Waits for someone to post an article about how the Intel 530 is screwed up as well in some other way)

pretty sad considering i have 4 x 840 evo in my home.........

Same here.  One of them is a 1TB one that I bought literally days before the news broke about the slowdown issues.

Same here.  One of them is a 1TB one that I bought literally days before the news broke about the slowdown issues.

that is just sad.

i have 2 x 256 in raid on my desktop a 128 in my laptop and same in my mediacenter........

desktop runs at 1gb/s+ so they are fine for now, mediacenter is at 610 / 490 wich is rather good for a fanless system "rockin" a atom cpu... but for how long.....

well, guess i will get the new Intel 750 (i think) pcie disk for my desktop and use the two 250gb disks in my laptop and hope they will run a while longer