How to send mineral oil through loop?

Zach99

Hello,

First off I'd like to apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong section, this just seemed to be the closest topic to exactly what I need help on. I'm working on building a mineral oil PC, but without a kit. I have everything planned out except for exactly how I actually pump the oil into the radiators to be cooled and then have it enter back into the fish tank. I have a picture of what I think happens here: post-99490-0-74614400-1424317097_thumb.j

Basically there is an open ended piece of tube coming off of the pump that sucks the oil into the pump, which is then forced upwards into the radiator and then back into the tank. Will this work? Also, will I need a pump of higher strength since it's oil and not water? My very last concern is how to clean out the radiators before I use them. In the past I've always run extra distilled water through radiators to get any gunk out before attaching them to a loop, but will some of that water mix in with the mineral oil and cause issues? Do I even have to clean out the radiator in the first place? Any help on these questions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Zach

P.S. I am NOT planning to put a GPU in this build. Just an i5 4670k I had from my current build (I upgraded to an i7). I won't be overclocking it.

Why do u need mineral oil cooling when u aint over clocking.

You gotta keep it cool man

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

Basically there is an open ended piece of tube coming off of the pump that sucks the oil into the pump, which is then forced upwards into the radiator and then back into the tank. Will this work? Yes. Also, will I need a pump of higher strength since it's oil and not water? I don't know what your current pump is :P My very last concern is how to clean out the radiators before I use them. Run some water through them and let them dry. In the past I've always run extra distilled water through radiators to get any gunk out before attaching them to a loop, but will some of that water mix in with the mineral oil and cause issues? I'm not a chemist, but I imagine that a slight amount of water wouldn't harm it and would eventually evaporate. Do I even have to clean out the radiator in the first place? IDK, I dont unless if they have been previously used, but that's just me. Any help on these questions is greatly appreciated.

Answers in pink ^^^

Why do u need mineral oil cooling when u aint over clocking.

A better question is: Why not? lol.

P.S. I am NOT planning to put a GPU in this build. Just an i5 4670k I had from my current build (I upgraded to an i7). I won't be overclocking it.

Wat. What's the use in a 4670k with no GPU..?

Generally mineral oil is only used when it's in fully submerged builds. It's typically not used solely by running it through tubing. If I were you I'd just stick with water - it'll make things a lot simpler and I'm pretty sure there won't be much a performance difference.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Generally mineral oil is only used when it's in fully submerged builds. It's typically not used solely by running it through tubing. If I were you I'd just stick with water - it'll make things a lot simpler and I'm pretty sure there won't be much a performance difference.

Did you even read what op wrote let alone look at the diagram? He is running a fully submerged build and as with any liquid cooling option, the oil needs to be transferred to a radiator and dissipate heat to keep the whole tank cool.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Did you even read what op wrote let alone look at the diagram? He is running a fully submerged build and as with any liquid cooling option, the oil needs to be transferred to a radiator and dissipate heat to keep the whole tank cool.

My bad. This is what happens when you don't get enough sleep...

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Answers in pink ^^^

A better question is: Why not? lol.

Thanks a ton! Also when I said "higher strength" I just meant higher than you would usually put in a typical custom loop with a single 240 rad or something.

Wat. What's the use in a 4670k with no GPU..?

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this project, so I'm using a CPU I already had lying around but I don't want to buy a gpu because I don't intend on playing AAA titles or gaming at all on this machine whatsoever. It's meant more as a weekend project type of deal.

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this project, so I'm using a CPU I already had lying around but I don't want to buy a gpu because I don't intend on playing AAA titles or gaming at all on this machine whatsoever. It's meant more as a weekend project type of deal.

If you don't mind a weird color...... Vegetable oil will also work, and is much much much cheaper than mineral oil. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Thanks a ton! Also when I said "higher strength" I just meant higher than you would usually put in a typical custom loop with a single 240 rad or something.

Ah, I imagine a D5 pump could handle mineral oil(theoretically, I'm not sure how will the mineral oil would treat the ceramic ball or rubber o-rings, my guess is not good lol).

Ah, I imagine a D5 pump could handle mineral oil(theoretically, I'm not sure how will the mineral oil would treat the ceramic ball or rubber o-rings, my guess is not good lol).

How about we ask our co-lord and saviour @Slick for a suggestion.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Oooo that's right! It could potentially eat at the seals.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.