My date and time stay don't change from when I turn off my computer.

Steve97
Go to solution Solved by ReadyToGame,

How old is the build? I suppose not very old..

It could be because the battery or whatever that stores that info has run out, but I can't imagine that happening already..

The battery could have died for any number of reason, just a bad battery maybe.

You'll need to get a new battery, you can figure out the kind of battery you need for your Mobo by opening up your build and look for the grey circle, it's a battery, take it out and go to the store and buy one to replace the one in there now. :)

When I turn off my computer and turn it back on again, they date and time will stay the same as when I turned it off. I can manually make it sync with the internet or manually change it myself, but why won't it update while it is turned off?

Is something wrong with the CMOS? And if there is, is it something to worry about besides a minor annoyance? Or a setting I need to change. There are no red warning lights on my motherboard (Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150) but there is a green light near where the power and reset connectors are. My OS is Windows 8.1

Hopefully, this will be the last issue with my new build. And sorry for having to ask so many questions recently regarding it.

It could be because the battery or whatever that stores that info has run out, but I can't imagine that happening already..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You'll need to get a new battery, you can figure out the kind of battery you need for your Mobo by opening up your build and look for the grey circle, it's a battery, take it out and go to the store and buy one to replace the one in there now. :)

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Replacing the CMOS battery should fix it, some dollar story batteries would work, if quality matters then BestBuy I suppose?

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Yeah, you're right. It could have been faulty from the start and it certainly does seem like that kind of problem.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Replacing the CMOS battery should fix it, some dollar story batteries would work, if quality matters then BestBuy I suppose?

Dollar store sometimes doesn't carry the larger batteries like the ones used in mobos (well, I haven't seen them atleast) Drug stores will usually have them at the cheapest price IMO.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Its a type CR2032 button cell battery if you need to know :)

cr2032.jpg

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

A week if that

You mean the CMOS "coin" right?

Its a type CR2032 button cell battery if you need to know :)

Thanks for the type.

So it is that they only thing that could cause it? The CMOS being faulty? If so that doesn't seem hard to replace if I can get one in the UK or online if needs be. Is there any other side effects to a faulty CMOS? Just so I know how important it is to get it replaced.

[EDIT} Didn't know it was just a normal battery, well that makes things a lot easier to get one. Thought the CMOS was a special battery only for computers. The more you know!

No side effects at all, swap the battery and everything should be good, if its not the is a dead board and there's nothing you can do.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

With how new your mobo is, I'd rather complain to the manufactuer and have them spend the money on a replacement battery than you. These batteries should last up to 10 years in most motherboards.

Thankfully getting a new CMOS battery worked.

With how new your mobo is, I'd rather complain to the manufactuer and have them spend the money on a replacement battery than you. These batteries should last up to 10 years in most motherboards.

It was £1.99 for 4 of them at shop near me. Not worth complaining to them for that price, plus it would take a lot longer to get new one that way.