What's a NAS?

Tim Drake

I tried to research what a NAS is but it confuses me.

What is the difference of having a NAS and just adding more drives to your main computer?

Pros?

Cons?

Network attached storage, good for file storing so any PCs that can recognise it can get files from it.

Pros: Handy

Good for backups

Accessible from many other PCs than your own

Cons: Can get a bit expensive

Instead of plugging a HDD into a computer via USB, if it is connected to your router (or switch etc), then every computer on your network will be able to access the files of that HDD or multiple HDDs

In windows it will appear as a network drive

EDIT: forgot to add, there are some cheap ways to get a NAS without buying all the stuff. If your router has a usb port on it you can plug an external HDD in. It won't be as good as buying a proper NAS (in terms of speed and features) but it may get the job done.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

A NAS can serve many PCs, you can set them up to be accessible anywhere.

Apart from the cost they're preferable to local storage.

Get REKT M8

Network

A***** (forgot what the A stands for :) )

Storage

Have a NAS in your home and you will no longer have to run around with USB sticks :)

My rig:
CPU: i7 4790k @4.5ghz (1.165v) COOLER: Hyper 212 Evo  MOBO: Asus Maximus VI EXTREME   RAM: 8GB Kingston FURY @1866 Mhz   GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 DUAL SLI   PSU: Corsair HX750   CASE: NZXT Phantom 830 HDD: WD Black 3TB SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256Gb

A***** (forgot what the A stands for :) )

Attached.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"