New Headphone Time and a total rookie needs help.

Hey LTT,

I've never really been big into headphones and stuff but I am finishing up my New Build and am looking for a nice set of headphones to use. I am really not good at headphones/audio but I do enjoy quality sound. I am a total Rookie on this so please bear with me.

I have done a little bit of research but I felt it was time to ask LTT for some help. I am looking for a pair of preferably closed circumaural headphones. I don't really want to spend over 150$. I plan to get an external microphone such as the Modmic so they don't need to have a microphone attached. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros but again am not good at this. 

Some other things I am looking for are,

7.1 Surround Sound (I don't know the differences in virtual and real).
Comfort during long gaming sessions.
Wired.
Build Quality.

Wired and Comfort are the biggest, I enjoy wireless products but since it will be on my Gaming PC I don't see a reason to be worrying about batteries. 

So if anyone knows a good pair of headphones that won't bother anyone that's in the same room while I am gaming, I could definitely use some help.

Thanks as always!

Longbow

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore
CPU: Intel i7 5930K | Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | 

Hey LTT,

I've never really been big into headphones and stuff but I am finishing up my New Build and am looking for a nice set of headphones to use. I am really not good at headphones/audio but I do enjoy quality sound. I am a total Rookie on this so please bear with me.

I have done a little bit of research but I felt it was time to ask LTT for some help. I am looking for a pair of preferably closed circumaural headphones. I don't really want to spend over 150$. I plan to get an external microphone such as the Modmic so they don't need to have a microphone attached. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros but again am not good at this. 

Some other things I am looking for are,

7.1 Surround Sound (I don't know the differences in virtual and real).

Comfort during long gaming sessions.

Wired.

Build Quality.

Wired and Comfort are the biggest, I enjoy wireless products but since it will be on my Gaming PC I don't see a reason to be worrying about batteries. 

So if anyone knows a good pair of headphones that won't bother anyone that's in the same room while I am gaming, I could definitely use some help.

Thanks as always!

Longbow

Firstly to address the 7.1 surround just find the best headphones in your price range and use a recommended virtual surround program. Personally i prefer stereo but its up to you.

The difference between virtual surround and headphones marketed as surrounded are negligible in most cases. Very few headphones actually have multiple drivers in each ear cup and the ones that do don't sound to great. In addition they're very expensive. 

One headset i can personally recommend is the hyper x cloud. Its insanely comfortable sounds very good for the price range and they are below you budget, includes a mic. This can leave you some wiggle room to get an amp or a dac.

If you want a great audio set up for 150$ with mod mic i direct you do this video by tek syndicate. They are a great audio channel and they will hemp you decide. 

Hope i helped and have a great day.

i5 4670k / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 / Asus Maximus vi hero lga 1150 mobo / Sapphire tri-x r9 290 OC edition / corsair vengeance pro red 4 x 4 gb 2133mhz cas 9 ram kit / nzxt phantom 530 black / 120gb samsung 840 evo ssd / 240 gb ocz arc 100 ssd / 2x 1tb WD Blue / Cooler Master v850 modular psu / corsair k70 rgb cherry mx Brown / mad catz rat 5 laser mouse / windows 10

Sony MDR 1R is usually around $120 used. There's one on Head-Fi classifieds for that price. I actually sold him that one xD. Otherwise, Beyerdynamic DT700 is good too. The dt770 has wider sound stage but the Sony can be used with a V-Moda boommic so no need for 2 wires. 

Not only are most "surround sound" headsets incapable of actually sending different signals to different drivers, like in a true 5.1/7.1 surround system, most games and PC sound cards don't have the processing and/or hardware available to really make it happen.  That doesn't mean they can't sound good, they can.  But before you commit to a headset or soundcard for this feature, make sure the game(s) you are most interested in actually have the feature coded in, and ideally positive reviews of such.  In most cases you are going to find a very good "stereo" pair of headphones will give you at least as an enjoyable "surround" experience as any of the over-hyped stuff that is being sold for things that don't actually exist yet...  and often better sound quality at the same time.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system