Best gaming headset?

mattimatt12

So, i have seen on alot of headsets/headphones and i found these three:

Astro A50: http://www.astrogaming.com/s/AGUS/a50-wireless-system--...

Steelseries Elite Prism: http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-siber...

Razer Tiamat 7.1: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71

What would have been the best choice?
If you want you can come with new headsets, just describe why.

No budget!

So, i have seen on alot of headsets/headphones and i found these three:

Astro A50: http://www.astrogaming.com/s/AGUS/a50-wireless-system--...

Steelseries Elite Prism: http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-siber...

Razer Tiamat 7.1: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71

What would have been the best choice?

If you want you can come with new headsets, just describe why.

No budget!

As a general rule of thumb, a normal pair of headphones + stand-along microphone will generally perform better at a lower price.

However, if you do want a headset with a mic built in. Then the Hyper X Cloud is often recommended around here. And my brother swear by his Astro A-40's, so much so that he have bought three pairs of them over the years.

I would say the Astro a 40s.  The 50s are no better except wireless.  I don't know much about the SS Prism so i can't judge it.  As cool as the Razer one is, I have heard a LOT of negativity about the sound quality and the ONLY good thing about it is the surround.  I personally have the Razer Kraken Chroma (the chroma is a digital rather than analog) and I am more than happy with them.  They are the best sound quality I have heard (the next best I have used are beats studios but I find the Kraken to sound better.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Kingston Hyper X Cloud

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Im personally loving my H Wireless.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I have the Beyerdynamic Custom One headset and I think it's amazing.

It's over-ear, but it's very light for it's size. The material and build is top not, the cushions are really comfortable. It also have a bass slider, which is kinda gimmicky but it's cool to use in some situations. The sound is awesome too, which is expected by the price and brand.

However, it does not have a mic since it's an audiophile headset. Instead Beyerdynamic have a microphone addition which includes a cable, which lets you attach the mic, that you replace with the standard one.

Although it's more expensive than other options, I like it better. It lets you easily use it for listening since you can completely remove the microphone.

As already said, a mid tier headset with a mic addition is often better than most gaming headsets. Gaming headsets aren't bad, generally, but if you the kind that really values your money then there's better options.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

-snip-

Audiotechnica ATH M50 + Blue Yeti or Audiotechnica AT2020 + Mic Arm if you don't have a budget. 

Mic will be a lot better and if 1 would ever break you would only need to replace 1 thing (rather than with a headset, if the headphones part breaks you have to replace it completely)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

if your looking for something cheap I can highly recommend the plantronics 788/780 there only £40 on amazon have virtual 7.1 surround and I think they sound ok for the price.

Considering the three headphones mentioned in the OP,, how about having a look at these:

_ Audio-Technica ATH-AG1 (closed back)  

_ Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1 (open back)

_ Sennheiser G4ME ONE (open back)

_ Sennheiser G4ME ZERO (closed back, probably need an AMP/DAC to go with due to high impedence ~ 150 ohms)

Of course these are not cheap (mostly ~ or > $200), but they sound awesome and the comfort is just great.

Another option is to get a high quality and well reviewed headphone. then get an add-on separate mic, the Antlion ModMic 4.0 is a great choice.

However, if all of these are a confusing or too much (I think they are haha :P ), the HyperX Cloud is a solid choice at a great price (the 2.0 version is coming soon I think)

Hope these help, Cheers!  :D 

I would say the Astro a 40s.  The 50s are no better except wireless.  

@mattimatt12 I agree.  I have the A40 as well.  Some people might laugh at me because it's thought they are too expensive, but I think it's the perfect open-back headset.  It sounds great and is super comfortable.  I used mine for a while, but then I gave it to my son.  He likes it, too.   And as TotalLegitRemix said, they're basically the same as the A50.  Wireless would sure be nice, though. 

The new HyperX Cloud 2

Same as cloud, but has 7.1 audio and a single 3.5inch plug

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Have anyone tried the Mad Catz F.R.E.Q 9? They seems to be awesome

Have anyone tried the Mad Catz F.R.E.Q 9? They seems to be awesome

Mad Catz is meh. Currently using one of their headsets (well Tritton, but still "designed by Mad Catz") and not satisfied.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

As a A50 owner, I would say if you have the money for the A50's get the A40's.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

CLOUD 1 I love them they are so comfortable and honestly I have compared them to the ATH M50x and the clouds don't sound that bad.

As a A50 owner, I would say if you have the money for the A50's get the A40's.

Why is that?

Why is that?

There are 2 key differences between the 50's and the 40's, one being that the 50's are wireless with the mix amp built into the headset. The big difference is that the 40's are open backed, whereas the 50's are a closed off design. Trust me, you want the 40's, the speaker is the same, but it "breathes" a lot nicer and you end up with nicer sound than the 50's.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

@mattimatt12 I agree.  I have the A40 as well.  Some people might laugh at me because it's thought they are too expensive, but I think it's the perfect open-back headset.  

The A40 is open?

The A40 is open?

Ya, definitely.  It sounds great, and super amazing comfortable.  I'm been trying to find a closed-back stereo headphone (for using at work) that is as comfortable.  It's not easy. 

There are 2 key differences between the 50's and the 40's, one being that the 50's are wireless with the mix amp built into the headset. The big difference is that the 40's are open backed, whereas the 50's are a closed off design. Trust me, you want the 40's, the speaker is the same, but it "breathes" a lot nicer and you end up with nicer sound than the 50's.

Interesting.  I really like the A40 a lot, but I didn't know the A50 is closed. (see above reply)    I used my A40 set until I didn't have an application for them any more.  Now my son uses them.   <_<

No budget? QUICK EVERYONE RECOMMEND HD800 WITH SCHIIT RAGNAROK

Dont forget silver dragon audio cable that increases your audiofeels. It needs to be balanced and 100% silver, because copper's resistivity is not optimal for audio.

All musics need to be 24/192 or you wont be able to hear the air sound of 50khz

The A40 is open?

I believe the term they use is "semi-open"

I like chocolate milk.

CLOUD 1 I love them they are so comfortable and honestly I have compared them to the ATH M50x and the clouds don't sound that bad.

How do the sound signatures compare?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

How do the sound signatures compare?

Well i use the cloud with Razer surround, Im not a huge audiophille but what I can say is that the M50x just sound a bit more crisp but they are no where near comfortable as the Clouds.