Moving to Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 (Canon 70D) - Yay or Nay?

izt_is

After finally deciding I want to move away from 35 prime to either a Canon 17-55 I am now here.

Thanks to the many recommendations on this forum (Seriously thanks guys) I am now SERIOUSLY considering the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. But before I go ahead, I have just a few concerns that I hope y'all can help me with. 

I currently use a 70D.

All the while, I have been using lenses with Image Stabilization, so I am quite worried that without IS in the Sigma, (despite the f/1.8) I will get blurry shot. Any ideas on this?

I will use the lens when travelling and I mostly like to shoot things at the wide angle of things - Landscapes and buildings (75%) - followed by some portraits (15%) and some macro for stuff I have (10% or less). There will occasionally be some indoor photography when I step into a castle or museum or such

Also does anyone know if the Sigma 18-35mm still have auto focusing problems with the 70D? I remember there was quite an issue with it when it first came out.

If the 18-35mm doesn't work out then I might just have to spring for the canon 17-55mm which is supposed to be stellar lens as well. I'm a bit torn on what to pick to be honest, so opinions on this would be really helpful! I don't really need the zoom range between 35mm and 55mm.

Thanks guys!

Af is fixed. The lack of is would only be an issue under about 1/50 sec.You would want something a bit longer (85mm+) for the portraits but other than that great lens. Enjoy.

I would go with the Canon personally but that is because I do video work and 1.8 would be a bear to manual focus on a shoulder rig..

Af is fixed. The lack of is would only be an issue under about 1/50 sec.You would want something a bit longer (85mm+) for the portraits but other than that great lens. Enjoy.

Hey! Thanks.

May I ask what do you mean when you say the AF has been fixed? Was there a update  to the lenses in manufacturing or in firmware? I don't want to have to do microadjustments by myself by buying the dock if I can avoid it for now. 

Hey! Thanks.

May I ask what do you mean when you say the AF has been fixed? Was there a update  to the lenses in manufacturing or in firmware? I don't want to have to do microadjustments by myself by buying the dock if I can avoid it for now. 

As far as I know, it was fixed on manufacturing and it only affected a few camera and lens combos, not all of them. You will be fine with the af and if you don't need over 35mm get the sigma because f/1.8 is better than f/2.8

As far as I know, it was fixed on manufacturing and it only affected a few camera and lens combos, not all of them. You will be fine with the af and if you don't need over 35mm get the sigma because f/1.8 is better than f/2.8

Thanks this is great news. I really want the Sigma. Is there somewhere where I can read that this has been fixed? I'm extra wary of these only because of all the problems I've been reading online especially when the Sigma is paired with a 70D!

Thanks this is great news. I really want the Sigma. Is there somewhere where I can read that this has been fixed? I'm extra wary of these only because of all the problems I've been reading online especially when the Sigma is paired with a 70D!

I don't remember where. But only a select few people had this issue not all lenses so even if you did get a bad one you can just return it for replacement. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-210101-18-35mm-Canon-APS-C/dp/B00DBL0NLQ

Sigma 18-35 is the sharpest zoom lens you can put on a 70D. You won't need image stabilization with f/1.8. It gives you more than twice the amount of light compared to f/2.8 lens. It is also built like a tank. BUT. You'll have to adjust the AF by using the dock or in-camera adjustments. As far as i know, the focusing issue is not fixed and is present on the 70D. Mine won't focus at 18mm at 2+ meters at all. It has absolutely insane front focus at 18mm. Things are much better at longer end, but could use some adjustments as well. However, when it does focus right on target, it is incredibly sharp, it will give a 5D Mark III with 24-70 a run for its money.

Buy Sigma 18-35 + dock if you want absolute best IQ from a crop sensor, or go for Canon 17-55 if you want IS to fail within two years. (this is not a joke)

Sigma 18-35 is the sharpest zoom lens you can put on a 70D. You won't need image stabilization with f/1.8. It gives you more than twice the amount of light compared to f/2.8 lens. It is also built like a tank. BUT. You'll have to adjust the AF by using the dock or in-camera adjustments. As far as i know, the focusing issue is not fixed and is present on the 70D. Mine won't focus at 18mm at 2+ meters at all. It has absolutely insane front focus at 18mm. Things are much better at longer end, but could use some adjustments as well. However, when it does focus right on target, it is incredibly sharp, it will give a 5D Mark III with 24-70 a run for its money.

Buy Sigma 18-35 + dock if you want absolute best IQ from a crop sensor, or go for Canon 17-55 if you want IS to fail within two years. (this is not a joke)

Thanks. yes I heard about the IS failing on the 17-55 as well goddamn. 

What I'm really looking for is a hassle free lens buying and shooting experience which is why I am so hesitant to go with the Sigma. 18-35mm. I don't have time to go around fiddling with a lens dock, and have no idea how to even begin to use it. Yes I know I can learn etc. etc. but I still hope for the money I paid that I can get something that works right out of the box!

So yeap. Still torn between the Sigma 18-35 and Canon 17-55 with no idea what to do. 

Thanks. yes I heard about the IS failing on the 17-55 as well goddamn. 

What I'm really looking for is a hassle free lens buying and shooting experience which is why I am so hesitant to go with the Sigma. 18-35mm. I don't have time to go around fiddling with a lens dock, and have no idea how to even begin to use it. Yes I know I can learn etc. etc. but I still hope for the money I paid that I can get something that works right out of the box!

So yeap. Still torn between the Sigma 18-35 and Canon 17-55 with no idea what to do. 

If you can, buy the Sigma from Amazon and test it out. If it doesn't work properly, send it back and request another one, test it, return it again if it doesn't work. Amazon is cool with that. Just go with Canon if both Sigmas have bad AF.