How do I record multiple people while playing a game on PC?

Hello everybody!

I wanted to make a video of me and a few of my friends playing on a Minecraft server, but I'm not really sure how to record like 5+ people's voices so that everyone can be heard. Do you guys know of any software that can do it for free? I used to use Skype on my iPhone (for only 2 people) and then SSH in and grab the recorded audio file. But my phone unjailbroke itself, and I need more than 2 people anyway, and I'd love for it to be free. Thanks for any help!! :)

I for one would not use Skype because of how bad it is in my opinion. If you need a free voice server you can make a channel on RaidCall or Razer Comms. I've used RaidCall for a while and it is OK in my opinion when considering it is free. Be sure to use Push To Talk so everyone isn't screaming at the same time. It gets annoying.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

I use Dxtory to record video and skype to talk to other people. If you go to my channel in my sig, you can watch my videos. They'll be an example of how good the sound qualityis.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

I'd get off of skype and use ventrilo, teamspeak, raidcall or mumble if you are doing this with multiple users. 

and my record device is fraps which and that takes any sound incoming and you have to set it up to capture the outgoing as well. 

I also forgot to mention. You can use Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) to record your gameplay and you can also record in game sound, sound from other programs (such as voices) and your own microphone.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

Just use any recording software like OBS and record all audio, it will record your voice, your friends voices, and minecraft's sounds, then you can use whatever chat program you want :)

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

Thank you! Another thing is, I don't have a dedicated microphone for recording yet, and I've tried plugging Apple headphones or other headphones with mics in my microphone jack but it's never been recognized by anything like skype or audacity. Is there any specific reason for this?

I had this issue too.

I know a lot about audio and I tried and searched for a lot of stuff.

There is 1 problem you will have straight away with this type of recordings that you cant control 100% which is your friends signal.

Sometimes people dont know to keep the same intensity, stay at the same distance to the mic, sometimes their mic is just bad.

My advice's is just record with people with good mics, bad mics in video get viewers away, I would for example. Do some test runs and listen etc.

Now Software, for your call I would go 100% I mean 1000000% with new Teamspeak Codec. I tried it and dam, that is good. Main reason is it can have the double the bit-rate of speex.

Basically think on it as 160Kbs MP3. Now since you are in Teamspeak you can adjust your friends volume by yourself without having to ask each one of them to do so.

1 trick you can do to adjust their volume is to ask for them to talk really loud all at the same time and try to ear them all at the same level.

For video I would go with Dxtory to record your video and Minecraft and your friends voice since you cant record them separately (I wish xD) and use something like Reaper to record your own voice and to master everything before joining it with the video XD

Yeah it might sound like a lot of work, but it was how I did it and it was good since I would be able to control my voice separate from the rest. Dxtory should be able to do multi audio track but I never managed to get to work dunno why.

If you need more stuff let me know,

Hope it helps.

P.S.: Learn and use to use Compressors when mastering your audio. Will allow you to have your mic low so it doesn't distort and make miracles.

If you want an example of a video made by me go here:

Im using a Razer Carcharias headset that as a TRASH mic.