Would a 1000w PSU die because the rig is not using it enough?

Hi, I'm new here and everywhere :). and I need help.

I built a rig :

-CPU: intel core i5-4690k (stock cooler - no overclock)

-RAM: 16GB 2×8GB HyperX fury (1866 Mhz)

-GPU: EVGA GTX 750Ti (no overclocking)

-Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Deluxe

-5 fans, 1 HDD, 1 optical drive, 1 5.25'' card reader

And the PSU is Corsair RM1000w (I didn't want to upgrade a PSU when I get the big GPUs)

and in day 2 the PSU died, when I try to turn the rig on it just clicks nothing happens but the USB ports still work. Could it be because of the low power usage? I contacted the support of course, still waiting for approval, but I don't want get the new one and just kill it again.

Please tell me what do you think. And if I should buy a cute little 450w or 550w 80plus gold for sure .

No. It is broken because you got a bad PSU, not because you didn't use it enough/put enough power through it. So don't worry about that. :)

RMA it or get your money back, and then purchase a XFX PSU or an EVGA PSU.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

How would that even make sense? :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

No. RMA the psu, after that you should be fine. I ran my old rig on a 1000w power supply for a long time and at load that thing barely pulled like 500 watts.

It could be your motherboard that's faulty (telling the PSU that there is no motherboard connected)

Test the PSU by connecting a green and black hole with a paperclip (in the 24pin connector)

Make sure a fan or something is connected to test the power. Have everything else disconnected from the PSU.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

No. It is broken because you got a bad PSU, not because you didn't use it enough/put enough power through it. So don't worry about that. :)

RMA it or get your money back, and then purchase a XFX PSU or an EVGA PSU.

How about EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 ?

No. RMA the psu, after that you should be fine. I ran my old rig on a 1000w power supply for a long time and at load that thing barely pulled like 500 watts.

I will RMA, then I'm gonna keep it just in case. thanks.

It could be your motherboard that's faulty (telling the PSU that there is no motherboard connected)

Test the PSU by connecting a green and black hole with a paperclip (in the 24pin connector)

Make sure a fan or something is connected to test the power. Have everything else disconnected from the PSU.

I tried a very old PSU and it powered it on but I got stock at the VRAM LED. I think it's because it's really old. and the RM PSU just clicks when trying to power on.

1000W for that system? 500W would be plenty.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

I tried a very old PSU and it powered it on but I got stock at the VRAM LED. I think it's because it's really old. and the RM PSU just clicks when trying to power on.

Not successfully getting through the post sequence on 2 PSUs implies that the issue is not with the PSU...

And no, using too little power will never hard a PSU.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

Not successfully getting through the post sequence on 2 PSUs implies that the issue is not with the PSU...

And no, using too little power will never hard a PSU.

when I push the power button with the RM it just clicks it dosen't do anything else it dosen't even get to the post sequence. But the old one dose, knowing that the old PSU dosen't have an 8 pin CPU connection so I just connected the 24 pin to see if the motherboard works and it dose.

when I push the power button with the RM it just clicks it dosen't do anything else it dosen't even get to the post sequence. But the old one dose, knowing that the old PSU dosen't have an 8 pin CPU connection so I just connected the 24 pin to see if the motherboard works and it dose.

Oh lol. You didn't mention you tried to boot without an 8-pin xD. RMA the RM1000 then. Or refund and get something better xD

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

1000W for that system? 500W would be plenty.

I got every part of my build before the GTX900s. I was planing on getting 2 GTX 780Ti. that way I only have to put 1 perfectly working unit away instead of 2. and that unit is just a GTX 750 Ti. :)

Oh lol. You didn't mention you tried to boot without an 8-pin xD. RMA the RM1000 then. Or refund and get something better xD

lol. How about your PSU? do you recommend it ?

lol. How about your PSU? do you recommend it ?

Yep. Though it's still overkill for your build. And mine for that matter. xD

If you're looking to future-proof any single GPU system, between 500-600W will be perfect.

Yep. Though it's still overkill for your build. And mine for that matter. xD

If you're looking to future-proof any single GPU system, between 500-600W will be perfect.

thanks. I'm thinking SLI before 2016. It should be fine I guess. :)

thanks. I'm thinking SLI before 2016. It should be fine I guess. :)

Yeah, Nvidia doesn't look like it'll have 250W GPUs ever again. I'll be surprised if GM200 is even 200W.

AMD on the other hand...I don't think I'll be able to crossfire any of their high end cards on Haswell-E with my PSU for another 2 generations at least.

Thank you so much for this. But I think seasonic warranty doesn't cover me. I live in Saudi Arabia. I was lucky Corsair covered me. And I contacted EVGA and they do cover me.

Thank you so much for this. But I think seasonic warranty doesn't cover me. I live in Saudi Arabia. I was lucky Corsair covered me. And I contacted EVGA and they do cover me.

Evga is extremely good also. Look at their G2 and P2 series. It's their best.

A power supply will never fail from being underloaded.

It will not be as efficient as it might otherwise be, and voltage regulation might (might) not be as good as otherwise, but that's about it.