First build ever. Budget gaming/web/word PC

Tychsen

Hi guys.

I have decided to build my new PC. So i have been browsing watching videos build tutorials etc. for weeks now and i have ended up with to different builds.

But first.

1. Budget

850 USD. (or 4600kr in my currency (DK)) And this is MAX.

2. Aim

Playing Guild wars 2 at min 30 fps on high-ultra + other new games like Far Cry 3, word processing, web-browsing and super basic music recording.

3. Monitors

I will be running 1 monitor at 1080p.

4. Peripherals

Nope I've got mouse keyboard etc. So it is just the PC it self.

Now for the builds.

Build 1 (the intel build):

CPU: i5-3470

Mobo: ASUS P8B75-M LX

GPU: MSI R7850-1GD5/OC The MSI one has blue details and therefore matches the mobo

PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO450W V2 (for its seasonic insides :) )

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4 GB ( in blue to match the Mobo)

HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB (I can't afford SSD right now, so don't even bother)

Case: Fractal design core 1000. (Will make cable management a PITA. But could be a fun challenge aswell)

Build 2 (the AMD build):

CPU: FX 6300

Mobo: ASUS M5A97 LE

GPU: MSI R7850-1GD5/OC

PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO450W V2

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4 GB

HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

Case: BitFenix Shinobi (Since the core 1000 won't fit a ATX board)

The AMD build is a tad cheaper than the intel build. But I have read that the fx 6300 runs a little hot so I would probably have to buy a CPU cooler, and that adds to the cost. + the fact that the Shinobi only comes with one exhaust fan so I would have to get an intake fan for the front. Which then again adds to the price and suddently theres no price difference between the two builds. The Intel build would grant me PCIe 3.0 which goes with the GPU. Where as the AMD build only supports PCIe 2.0. But the fx 6300 should be quite OCable so for future proofing maybe it would be a smart move? so yeah.

This is where I am at. Any help would be really nice.

Thanks guys.

Starting at the bottom, heating shouldn't be an issue. You wont need to worry with an extra cooling solution for the 6300. You also really don't need to worry about a front intake fan unless you have a stack of hard drives (or you love dust and cleaning your computer monthly). In terms of the choices you've come up with, the Intel platform is the better build as you've presented them. Get the MSI overclocked g card. You should also choose a lower wattage PSU, something like 450W. Your choice is a tad excessive, and if you get a non-modular power supply then you can use the savings to purchase an SSD. I wouldn't ever buy a computer over $500 without an SSD as they improve load times and general performance massively. Samsung 840 SSDs are really cheap at the moment, as are Patriot Pyro's. Otherwise you've done a really awesome job of selecting parts for your first build. You wont beat a 7850 for price per dollar at the moment, and 8gb of ram is the perfect amount for what you will need, and each processor is the best in class at the moment.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zRlu This is a good well balanced system that will run your gw 2 and everything else perfectly :) it's smack on budget too

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Starting at the bottom, heating shouldn't be an issue. You wont need to worry with an extra cooling solution for the 6300. You also really don't need to worry about a front intake fan unless you have a stack of hard drives (or you love dust and cleaning your computer monthly). In terms of the choices you've come up with, the Intel platform is the better build as you've presented them. Get the MSI overclocked g card. You should also choose a lower wattage PSU, something like 450W. Your choice is a tad excessive, and if you get a non-modular power supply then you can use the savings to purchase an SSD. I wouldn't ever buy a computer over $500 without an SSD as they improve load times and general performance massively. Samsung 840 SSDs are really cheap at the moment, as are Patriot Pyro's. Otherwise you've done a really awesome job of selecting parts for your first build. You wont beat a 7850 for price per dollar at the moment, and 8gb of ram is the perfect amount for what you will need, and each processor is the best in class at the moment.
The stock cooler too loud. I like to add a 212 to all my wish lists if I can just to save from obnoxious fan noise. Also I added the 7870 as that does a massive performance increase over the 7850 :) the budget does allow

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Starting at the bottom' date=' heating shouldn't be an issue. You wont need to worry with an extra cooling solution for the 6300. You also really don't need to worry about a front intake fan unless you have a stack of hard drives (or you love dust and cleaning your computer monthly). In terms of the choices you've come up with, the Intel platform is the better build as you've presented them. Get the MSI overclocked g card. You should also choose a lower wattage PSU, something like 450W. Your choice is a tad excessive, and if you get a non-modular power supply then you can use the savings to purchase an SSD. I wouldn't ever buy a computer over $500 without an SSD as they improve load times and general performance massively. Samsung 840 SSDs are really cheap at the moment, as are Patriot Pyro's. Otherwise you've done a really awesome job of selecting parts for your first build. You wont beat a 7850 for price per dollar at the moment, and 8gb of ram is the perfect amount for what you will need, and each processor is the best in class at the moment.[/quote']

I agree with you on the 450w but only with the 7850. With beefier cards it's good to have head room

Thanks for the answers guys.

I found another PSU but I still wasn't able to fit an SSD into the build. I don't know why theyre so expensive here.

And thanks on the advice about case fans. That was nice to know. I had some kind of idea that i needed to have nice airflow for my CPU and GPU especially the fx 6300.

I am now leaning more towards the intel build but with the cheaper corsair vengeance RAM and the 450W PSU in the fractal design case.

Also, how big a difference is there between running PCIe 3.0 GPU and Mobo vs. 3.0 GPU and 2.0 Mobo?

Also, how big a difference is there between running PCIe 3.0 GPU and Mobo vs. 3.0 GPU and 2.0 Mobo?
Not very big.