Why do specs matter?

Shayannike.ps3

hello guys I was wondering about the GTX 970 specs compared to the r9 290x's and the memory bus, the shading, units, floating point, texture mapping units and ROPS are all higher on the 290x but somehow NVIDA manages to increase the price and its now more expensive than the 290x. However, in some benchmarks the 970 has better fps than the 290x. Whats the deal?

The 970 didn't increase in price, the 290x dropped price.

Optimization, I guess.

Some games run better on AMD and some on NVidia just because of different optimization.

Sig under construction.

Because what else would "Team Green" rub it in the face of "Team Red"?

(or vice versa AMD fans pls don't hate me)

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

@Shayannike.ps3

Comparing specs does NOT work between architectures/brands. It's 100% irrelevant

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

The 970 didn't increase in price, the 290x dropped price.

This (¬‿¬), the 290x was to deal with the 7xx series but know that 9xx have been released AMD might have dropped prices to prepare for 3xx series and maybe boost sales. Just speculation though (¬‿¬)

Steve

290x with sapphire cooler then OC it!!!!

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

different approaches by the two companies. traditionally Intel on CPU and Nvidia on GPU are more about optimization and better architectures and implementation where AMD suppliments their disadvantages in architecture with Brute force which increases power consumption but also results in higher performance per dollar in certain specific applications where brute force is better.

Nvidia designs parts that are more efficient to manufacture with smaller buses etc. so they can funnel more of the money into research and development.

specs are only part of the picture and it's more important to look at performance in an application similar to your own

If you're comparing different architectures, you can't compare specs. The only comparison you can make is just by looking at real-world performance benchmarks..

If you're comparing GPUs with the same architecture, (ie, GTX 980 vs 970 vs 960 vs possibly upcoming 950, 950TI, 960TI), the low-level specs can give you a way of estimating performance in different theoretical scenarios.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems