Spend my money on a keyboard/mouse

Eniqmatic
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

This is true, that mouse I was supplied at work is the M705 which has the free spin scroll which I love for some of the work I do. It's great for getting up and down code fast. 

Silly question, do they have a more entry level version of that mouse if that makes sense?

G402+ G302

G300/500s/100s etc (older model)and I think there are decent too) 

So basically, I've never been that into/interested in keyboards and mice. Before it used to be a keyboard was a keyboard, a mouse was a mouse.

Fast forward a couple of months and I'm starting to take more interest. I'm keen to see what all the fuss is about really and give it a try.

Now, as I say my knowledge of said peripherals is limited I will freely admit, so help me out to spend my money.

Background info: 

I've never typed on a mechanical keyboard, keep this in mind for choosing switches. I also know nothing about the switches.

I don't know if I will even like typing on a mechanical keyboard, so nothing of crazy price as this is a tester. Must also be available in UK.

I'm not too fussed about wireless for the mouse, I'm fine using wired or wireless.

RGB back lighting isn't essential although maybe a nice addition. 

Also, what are the advantages over what would be considered, a normal mouse and keyboard? Any help appreciated!

P.S Am I a noob for liking the super fast scroll wheel on my mouse at work??

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

SNIP

I suggest visiting a store to try them out

personally I like mx browns, and they suit most peoples uses quite well, they are tactile but not loud, and feel really nice, suitable for typing and gaming (with balanced pros and cons)

For gaming mice, depends on what is comfy, generally a good gaming mouse is ergonomic, has a good sensor (optical ftw), adjustable DPI, extra buttons, customizable software and adjustable weight/shape

Personally I use the Logitech G710+ browns, with a G502 gaming mouse - though different people like different things

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hey there :)

The world of peripherals is a great one. Glad to hear your trying them out. 

To me, the most important of the two is the mouse. Keyboards are important too, but mice are something you hold more actively, and so are more important.  

Fancy mice are great for comfort and extra buttons/ macros. A good place to start is how you like to hold you mice, this is a good guide, to help give you an idea. 

http://csgolikeapro.com/images/c/c9/Mousegrip.png

I think the Logitech series have a two mode scrole wheel. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

personally I like mx browns, and they suit most peoples uses quite well, they are tactile but not loud, and feel really nice, suitable for typing and gaming (with balanced pros and cons)

For gaming mice, depends on what is comfy, generally a good gaming mouse is ergonomic, has a good sensor (optical ftw), adjustable DPI, extra buttons, customizable software and adjustable weight/shape

Personally I use the Logitech G710+ browns, with a G502 gaming mouse - though different people like different things

Thanks very much for your recommendations, I had actually heard brown's were a good place to start so good to hear you confirm that. 

Logitech mouse looks great and has some nice features I wouldn't have thought of before. 

I'm away to do some research into them, thanks again!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Hey there :)

The world of peripherals is a great one. Glad to hear your trying them out. 

To me, the most important of the two is the mouse. Keyboards are important too, but mice are something you hold more actively, and so are more important.  

Fancy mice are great for comfort and extra buttons/ macros. A good place to start is how you like to hold you mice, this is a good guide, to help give you an idea. 

http://csgolikeapro.com/images/c/c9/Mousegrip.png

I think the Logitech series have a two mode scrole wheel. 

This is very true, I do a lot of typing also though so spend a lot of time on the keyboard!

I believe judging from that picture I have more of a fingertip grip?

Logitech mouse looks great and has some nice features I wouldn't have thought of before. 

The reason I mentioned logitech is their mice all have dual mode scroll wheels (well most) so you can have "clicky" scroll and also "free spin" scroll

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The reason I mentioned logitech is their mice all have dual mode scroll wheels (well most) so you can have "clicky" scroll and also "free spin" scroll

This is true, that mouse I was supplied at work is the M705 which has the free spin scroll which I love for some of the work I do. It's great for getting up and down code fast. 

Silly question, do they have a more entry level version of that mouse if that makes sense?

G402+ G302

This is very true, I do a lot of typing also though so spend a lot of time on the keyboard!

I believe judging from that picture I have more of a fingertip grip?

Shadow captains idea of going to a shop to try some out is probably the best idea before sending all that hard earned money. :) 

Its fun choosing which to get, you'l enjoy it i''m sure :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

G402+ G302

G402 looks very good and definitely considering that! Is the software you need to use with it cumbersome and annoying or is it not too bad? 

G402 looks very good and definitely considering that! Is the software you need to use with it cumbersome and annoying or is it not too bad? 

I love logitechs software, certainly one of the better ones

not a fan of razers for example

Yo, I suggest checking the link in my sig about keyswitches and taking the quiz in there to see which direction you should go for. Browns being a "great starting point" IMO is false as they're so darn light and most rubber dome keyboards are not so a newbie will often smash the heck outta the keys when typing on them. Clears are a better starting point, IMO, although they're quite rare.

Also for the mouse it looks like a G502 would be a safe bet for you. It has a laser sensor branded as an optical but it's so damn good it hardly matters. Also has that flick-action scroll wheel you like. :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hi,

Go for AULA SI928.

Sorry if I'm being too rude but your post seems kinda biased since I have seen you recommend the same peripherals over and over again regardless of the OP's preferences or requirements.

Looking at the two mice we discussed (G502 and G402), was going to go for the G402 then noted on Amazon they are the same price? Any reason for this you can think of, I assumed that the G502 was a higher model but perhaps not?

Thanks again