VIDEO EDITING RIG US$1200 (ish) First time builder

TokenSu

Hi guys,

First time builder here.

I’m keen to build my own rig for video editing purposes with Adobe CS5.5(C.S6) and maybe some games once in a while.

I’ve done quite a bit of research reading up and on all sorts of forums and watching lots of videos (THANK YOU LINUS TECH TIPS and NCIX) and have come up with this build so far and would greatly appreciate everyone’s input. My budget is around US$1200 give or take US$100 either way. (without monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers)

MOBO – Asus P9X79 Pro

CPU – i7 3820

GPU – Asus GTX660ti DC2 2GD5

Or

Asus ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5

Or

Inno3d GTX660ti iChill 3GB GDDR5

RAM – Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB (4x4)

Or

G.Skill RipjawsZ f3-12800CL8Q 1600 16GB (4x4)

CHASSIS – NZXT Phantom (full tower)

COOLING – Corsair Hydro Series H100i

PSU - Corsair Gaming Series™ GS700 — 80 PLUS

This is what i am considering so far. I still haven’t decided on the HHD (ssd or not). Also, the GPU, PSU i'm not too sure about. If there's a i7-3930k build that can work within this budget too i would very much appreciate that too! Ideally, i'm looking to upgrade in a month or 2 to the i7-3930K or 3960X just not within my budget at the moment and my current computer is kaputs!=D

I’m not very familiar with this stuff so please be gentle..haha=D

Any and all comments and criticisms welcome!=D

Thanks in advance!

Everything looks well chosen -

Out of the options, get the 570, and think about getting ram in 2x8gb dimms, rather than 4x4gb so you have the capacity to upgrade if you need more memory, say, for After Effects work, etc. You need to think most seriously about your storage mediums. Get an Intel 520, Patriot Pyro or OCZ Vector SSD (I fit everything on a 128gb drive, but perhaps you may need more) and get an array of HDDs to arrange into a RAID array. As a starting point, two WD 2TB Black drives in RAID 1 (or other RAID levels with parity). If you want me to elaborate further let me know, however if you research into RAID arrays, SSD sequential and random IOPS you'll get a good idea of what you're after, and more importantly you'll learn something useful.