iHadToSwitch to Fedora 21 [Linux] *Warning. 1440p screenshots*

So. For this past week i have been using Fedora as my one and only OS because windows was being a dick and i just did not feel like re-installing it.

And surprisingly the lack of windows has not been too bad. There is still plenty of light.. huehuehuehue. Alright i'll stop..

Now. I'll preface this by saying that i have used Linux before as a sort-of-daily. But i always had Windows standing by when i felt like i was in over my head.

And i was always distro hopping. Trying out all the popular flavours like Ubuntu, Mint, ElementaryOS (when i had a Sherlock avatar on this forum) etc. etc
But this time i really went for it. I could only use Fedora and nothing else until i got an SSD. 
So armed with a few basic terminal commands and interest in open source software i set my Linux drive as my boot drive and formatted my Windows drive.

I'll cover installation too even though that came before i got fed up with Windows.

Installing Fedora 21 was as simple as 1.2.3 Much like most distros i have used.

1. Put ISO on flash drive with either pen drive linux or linux live usb creator.

2. Boot from USB

3. Follow installation guide.

No extra faff required to just use it. But a quick sudo yum update is always a good idea. Other than that everything works right out of the box.

So what does it look like?

AjSTkTl.jpg

Well after i grabbed a nicely detailed wallpaper it looks really pretty. I could get used to this no icons on desktop thing. 
And the Activities menu is a really well done grid with good overview.

7haPBlS.jpg

Switching between programs is also a very pleasant experience. Just bump the top left corner with the pointer thing and you are presented with a very easy tile arrangement with all the open programs.

Aa1L1tT.png

I really like this.
And the search function is easily accessible and seems to work as it should.

vDwzjNV.jpg

The first thing i did was install Chrome. Since i really don't like using firefox. And that was pretty simple too. 

All i really had to do was download chrome from the download page and install it through the software suite.

And it automatically got all of my settings and my theme that i had on windows. I could start using it within five minutes or so.

I also ended up getting Clementine to play my music and KMP to play my movie files. Although neither KMP or VLC would play MP4 files out of the box. And still won't.
Then i installed DOSbox and Wine. But i have not gotten around to trying those out yet. And i haven't managed to get Steam to work. But that will probably be sorted soon.
And i had to get Redshift to replace F.lux. But that isn't working yet either.

So so far it's been mostly positive. But not entirely without roadblocks.

What do i like about it to far?
Well. KolourPaint is a really good out of the box paint program. 
It is extremely snappy on my system. It has not stuttered, paused, flickered, crashed or even lagged in opening a program during the entire week.
The screenshot camera animation is pretty neat. 
The terminal is a really great way of doing things when you get used to it. Although exe files are more convenient.

I'll continue working on this as more things pop up that i want to add. But right now i need to go get my SSD before the store closes. Until next time *Tips fedora*

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Gnome, Also I find having an SSD has minimal effect on Linux

The SSD is for windows  :P Fedora boots up in about 9-12 seconds

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Also if you guys have anything you'd like me to check out in linux. Feel free to leave a comment :)

So. For this past week i have been using Fedora as my one and only OS because windows was being a dick and i just did not feel like re-installing it.

post-140961-0-22779100-1422990459.jpg

post-140961-0-22779100-1422990459.jpg

It seems impossible until it's done.

The SSD is for windows  :P Fedora boots up in about 9-12 seconds

That makes sense cant wait to get a new hard drive and get Voyager Live(check it out)

Steve

That makes sense cant wait to get a new hard drive and get Voyager Live(check it out)

Oooh that's fancy^^ 

I have to check that out in VirtualBox later

Oooh that's fancy^^ 

I have to check that out in VirtualBox later

My favourite distro and then Linux Mint Cinnamon is second

Steve

Looks SO much like OSX even how expose and stuff work

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's just missing the bottom bar that osx has. Elementary or Voyager Live are probably a bit closer in that regard^^ 

It's just missing the bottom bar that osx has. Elementary or Voyager Live are probably a bit closer in that regard^^ 

Isnt the dock on the left basically the same?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Maybe. I've never used OSX so i can't really comment

Yep, and you can move it. Source: I've used all 3 major OS' (not particularly Fedora, but meh.) pretty extensively.

Yep, and you can move it. Source: I've used all 3 major OS' (not particularly Fedora, but meh.) pretty extensively.

Ah I thought that would be the case

Wow. The user interface look similar to OSX

Gaming Rig: Intel i5-2400  |  Z68 Pro 3 Gen 3  |  8GB RAM  | Gigabyte R9-270X 4GB | Corsair Graphite 600T white edition | CMStorm Rapid I (blue Switch) | Razer Deathadder

Mobile Devices: Macbook Air 13" | iPad Mini (1st Gen) | iPhone 6 128GB | www.nic-koh.com

Wow. The user interface look similar to OSX

It's easy to say is looks like OSX, but I wouldn't label it to harsh. Outside of metro and material, design on the desktop is generally the same with a few variations (gnome,kde,unity,etc) from what I've seen. :P