gtx 980 questions

jjdd5199

i bought a reference 980 and was wondering how much i should boost the clock speeds without it seriously affecting the cards life

also i tried plugging the card into a 4k tv and it showed windows starting but before my desktop showed up the screen goes black and says no signal

any help would be appreciated

Has the card worked in other monitors since plugging into the 4K monitor?

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Boosting the clock speed won't hurt anything, voltage & temperatures are what "damages" the card.

As long as you stay under 80C with small voltage increases you'll be OK.  Crank that sucker up.

Do you have drivers installed for it from Nvidia's site? Could be a driver issue.  Try different ports on the GPU if possible, or if you have another monitor that works whilst the TV is plugged into the GPU, right click your desktop and go into "screen resolution" and make sure the TV is enabled.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

On the idea of overclocking, I would suggest you use a utility like MSI Afterburner to monitor temps and do the overclocking. You want the card to be running under 80 degrees Celsius, if you can do that, just keep upping the clock speed and memory speed until you either no longer have that OR games start crashing (Then turn it down a bit).

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Has the card worked in other monitors since plugging into the 4K monitor?

yes it works on my 1080 monitors

Boosting the clock speed won't hurt anything, voltage & temperatures are what "damages" the card.

As long as you stay under 80C with small voltage increases you'll be OK. Crank that sucker up.

Do you have drivers installed for it from Nvidia's site? Could be a driver issue. Try different ports on the GPU if possible, or if you have another monitor that works whilst the TV is plugged into the GPU, right click your desktop and go into "screen resolution" and make sure the TV is enabled.

Thanks I'll try that

On the idea of overclocking, I would suggest you use a utility like MSI Afterburner to monitor temps and do the overclocking. You want the card to be running under 80 degrees Celsius, if you can do that, just keep upping the clock speed and memory speed until you either no longer have that OR games start crashing (Then turn it down a bit).

That's what I've been using but thanks for the help