EVGA GTX 970 vs Asus GTX 970 Strike

hey,

im building a gaming computer and was wondering which i should get if i can get them for the same price? Out of the EVGA GTX 970 and the Asus GTX 970 Strike

Thanks 

Asus Strix, unless you're talking about the EVGA SSC 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The EVGA version has coil whine. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

hey,

im building a gaming computer and was wondering which i should get if i can get them for the same price? Out of the EVGA GTX 970 and the Asus GTX 970 Strike

Thanks 

if you want a 0db mode go with the Asus Strix*

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

lightning 290x

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

EVGA, just because it has the support from first party and third party developers, and better warranty. The problem with Asus is even when paying for a premium they leave you with no support with their products and makes you deal with their broken driver installation and I have rarely seen a graphic card from them to have a bios update or one that installs correctly.

Can't you get a Gigabyte Windforce OC or MSI Gaming 4g card? They tend to cost just as much, if not less, than Strix cards. And both are much superior choices.

But if I HAD to pick one of those 2... I guess the strix is better.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Can't you get a Gigabyte Windforce OC or MSI Gaming 4g card? They tend to cost just as much, if not less, than Strix cards. And both are much superior choices.

Except the 4g has power delivery issues iirc (at least one of the MSI 970s does). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

so i should ever go with the EVGA OC 970 or the Gigabyte OC windforce?

so i should ever go with the EVGA OC 970 or the Gigabyte OC windforce?

EVGA ftw. Best customer service and a very good warranty. I got the ftw edition of the 680.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Incorrect, some may have but I have the SSC version and haven't heard any coil whine or any noises similar.

I vote for the EVGA 970 SSC its a brilliant card. I plan on getting a second.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I vote EVGA, mine may be just the base card but the warranty is amazing, plus the step up program if needed. Plus IMO it has the best looking cooler.

Am I the only one around here who really doesn't like pcpartpicker?
I also like Ubisoft and Origin/EA          
Guess I'm just odd that way.

HATER OF MAIL IN REBATES!

Incorrect

Every manufacturer will have some form of Coil Whine (be it obnoxiously loud or near silent.)  It's just like winning the silicon lottery.

Look at this survey but take it for what it's worth.....a grain of salt:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/229278-the-gtx-970980-coil-whine-thread/page-3

I have a potato!

Incorrect, some may have but I have the SSC version and haven't heard any coil whine or any noises similar.

I vote for the EVGA 970 SSC its a brilliant card. I plan on getting a second.

Specifically the SSC so though as the non-ssc has the original (not as good) cooler, and is more prone to coil whine iirc (at least there were more cases of coil whine when just the sc was around -- possibly just a tweak during the manufacturing process, which means that both sc and ssc are equally prone (or not) to coil whine).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler