Returning a 970

The Pizza Thief

Yeah I have it and it's sweat

Do you have any benchmark scores listed in the Firestrike, Cinabench or Valley threads?

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Forgot about that one.

Generally speaking yes.

Dat LN2 Bios. 

Yeah I have it and it's sweat

Do you guys think it could be as easy for me as buy, delete drivers and install ?

Are all of my components good to pair with the msi 290x lightning ?

CPU: i7-4790k GPU: GTX G1 970 MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Hero                                   

-PROJECT ARES-   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz 16GB CPU COOLER: NZXT X61                    

CASE: NZXT H440 SSD: Samsung EVO 840 256GB HD: WD Blue 1TB                                           

Do you have any benchmark scores listed in the Firestrike, Cinabench or Valley threads?

No, didn't get time. Right now have a 28xx score. Probable a bottleneck as gpu is bout 92% and cpu is maxed

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

No, didn't get time. Right now have a 28xx score. Probable a bottleneck as gpu is bout 92% and cpu is maxed

28xx in what benchmark?

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

The 660Ti had 1.5GB + 0.5GB, and people didn't get butthurt. 

The best case scenario is always going to be that the entire 192bit bus is in use by interleaving a memory operation across all 3 controllers, giving the card 144GB/sec of memory bandwidth (192bit * 6GHz / 8). But that can only be done at up to 1.5GB of memory; the final 512MB of memory is attached to a single memory controller. This invokes the worst case scenario, where only 1 64-bit memory controller is in use and thereby reducing memory bandwidth to a much more modest 48GB/sec.

But thats none of my business. 

It's 400% of the speed of swapping to system memory and you have to fill up almost the entirety of what's available just to reach it, and OP only games at 1440p -- an area where its competence is extremely well documented.

Christ this forum loves its melodrama...

I've personally hit over 3.5gb of vram when playing Dying Light at 1080p at only 60fps, and as soon as that thing hits 3.5 it's framerate drops like crazy.

I may return mine and get something else if I can, I wonder if I could wait and return it when I get my tax money back in april, that way I could afford a 980. I mean, yeah it may be wrong to give them more money, but considering how badly the 980 demolishes the r9-290x I can't see any other alternative that I can afford. And I'm not waiting for AMD to release the 390's

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I've personally hit over 3.5gb of vram when playing Dying Light at 1080p at only 60fps, and as soon as that thing hits 3.5 it's framerate drops like crazy.

I may return mine and get something else if I can, I wonder if I could wait and return it when I get my tax money back in april, that way I could afford a 980. I mean, yeah it may be wrong to give them more money, but considering how badly the 980 demolishes the r9-290x I can't see any other alternative that I can afford. And I'm not waiting for AMD to release the 390's

The only thing I've ever exceeded 3.5GB with at 4K is Skyrim, and that's been fine. Using 3.5GB at 1080p is ridiculous, are you sure it's not optimisation issues causing your problems? Because 1080p textures are nowhere near big enough to warrant that much frame buffer.

The only thing I've ever exceeded 3.5GB with at 4K is Skyrim, and that's been fine. Using 3.5GB at 1080p is ridiculous, are you sure it's not optimisation issues causing your problems? Because 1080p textures are nowhere near big enough to warrant that much frame buffer.

I know it shouldn't but when running dying light at 1080 ultra, with Vsync on, HBAO on, FOV set to 9, and view distance set to full My GPU monitor from asus was giving readings just above and below 3.5gb of vram.

The 660Ti had 1.5GB + 0.5GB, and people didn't get butthurt. 

But thats none of my business. 

I think it's silly how much people seem to rant on about the 970. It's still a great performer... :/

But given how the internet forget about some stuff rather quickly, my guess is that a lot of people will have forgotten about this in a month's time.

Man I dodged a bullet when I returned my 970 to Newegg a day after I got it at release. I had Newegg Premier so it didn't cost me anything to send it back and I got a full refund. I thought the EVGA card was way too loud so I got an MSI gtx 780 ti for $330 instead. 

I think it's silly how much people seem to rant on about the 970. It's still a great performer... :/

But given how the internet forget about some stuff rather quickly, my guess is that a lot of people will have forgotten about this in a month's time.

Month is too generous, I give it a week. 

I had to rack my brain to think of which card had the same issue cause I honestly didn't know, AND I OWN A BLOODY 660 which means I would've came across this "issue" during my research of which card to buy. Yet I didn't remember it, nor care to, beyond proving a point to the people who keep bringing it up as if its a card breaking detriment 

I know it shouldn't but when running dying light at 1080 ultra, with Vsync on, HBAO on, FOV set to 9, and view distance set to full My GPU monitor from asus was giving readings just above and below 3.5gb of vram.

I just googled this and it seems that a lot of people are having this issue in Dying Light on 980s too. I would look into this before doing anything.

Actually from the way people are talking about this game it looks like a port worthy of Rockstar at this point. People are saying that it is still written for the shared system/vram that the consoles have and not the way that PCs work at all so it's causing system RAM issues as well as vram, and they're saying that it is only single threaded. People on various GPUs are reporting a lot of stuttering and crashes in this game.

Man I dodged a bullet when I returned my 970 to Newegg a day after I got it at release. I had Newegg Premier so it didn't cost me anything to send it back and I got a full refund. I thought the EVGA card was way too loud so I got an MSI gtx 780 ti for $330 instead. 

The logic here is hurting my head. Let's pretend that the 970 only does have 3.5 GB, or that the performance dip when using the last 0.5GB is more than the 1-3% reported. Either one, take your pick. You then consider getting a GPU with even less vram than that (3GB) as "dodging a bullet". Wut?

I just googled this and it seems that a lot of people are having this issue in Dying Light on 980s too. I would look into this before doing anything.

Actually from the way people are talking about this game it looks like a port worthy of Rockstar at this point. People are saying that it is still written for the shared system/vram that the consoles have and not the way that PCs work at all so it's causing system RAM issues as well as vram, and they're saying that it is only single threaded. People on various GPUs are reporting a lot of stuttering and crashes in this game.

The logic here is hurting my head. Let's pretend that the 970 only does have 3.5 GB, or that the performance dip when using the last 0.5GB is more than the 1-3% reported. Either one, take your pick. You then consider getting a GPU with even less vram than that (3GB) as "dodging a bullet". Wut?

I haven't had as many problems as others though, just some occasional momentary lock (like the game is deciding what's happening when 10 zombies try to grab me at once, and I'm trying to behead 3 or 4 of them in a single swipe)

I haven't had as many problems as others though, just some occasional momentary lock (like the game is deciding what's happening when 10 zombies try to grab me at once, and I'm trying to behead 3 or 4 of them in a single swipe)

...that sounds like s Physics/CPU issue o.0

That's a lot of objects on screen at a time, all dynamically doing things. Obviously I haven't looked into it in any great depth, but just superficially that sounds like a CPU-bound scenario.

...that sounds like s Physics/CPU issue o.0

That's a lot of objects on screen at a time, all dynamically doing things. Obviously I haven't looked into it in any great depth, but just superficially that sounds like a CPU-bound scenario.

That's what I've been thinking, not sure if it should be able to do that to my 4690k. It's weird, like everything slows to a stop for a split second, but it's not like, jerky the way it does it, as if someone is moving a slider from normal speed to slow mo to stopped, very suddenly.

Someone with an I7 go turn on hyperthreading and see if it makes a difference.

That's what I've been thinking, not sure if it should be able to do that to my 4690k. It's weird, like everything slows to a stop for a split second, but it's not like, jerky the way it does it, as if someone is moving a slider from normal speed to slow mo to stopped, very suddenly.

Someone with an I7 go turn on hyperthreading and see if it makes a difference.

I would suggest not, since it seems to be poorly threaded, which could be the main factor at play here. I don't think it's using your 4690k to anything like its potential.

I would suggest not, since it seems to be poorly threaded, which could be the main factor at play here. I don't think it's using your 4690k to anything like its potential.

that's a shame. Hope they fix that lol

Don't buy a 980. It's in no way worth the money. Not even close.

If you really want to return the card, tell the rep that the vram issue has nothing to do with why you want to return it and to just take the gpu already. But if I were you I'd wait for amd's release before getting something else.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*