GTX 770 not recognised on cold boots

Hi all, I've been having this issue for the past few months and it is really bothering me. So, at times after a cold boot (PC not on for 12hours) my GTX 770 is not recognised. I have three monitors, and it boots to the left monitor through DVI. The screen has the wrong resolution for around 10sec, then it goes black, and all monitors turn on into the proper resolution (all are 1920x1080). After this point, there is no indication that i have a gpu installed.

The way i usually fix this temporarily is to completely uninstall the nvidia drivers (including registry editing etc) and perform a clean install. The gpu would work for maybe a week to a month, until, again it stops working and proceeds to the previous problem.

I've checked, and all cables are properly fitted, no excess dust inside my PC including GPU fans a ran multiple cos starts. The rig is only 8 months old.

Not sure what is going on, its driving me nuts!

PS. Forgot to mention, when i do a full delete of the drivers, the system boots up all screens into correct resolution, WITH the gpu recognised (obviously with no drivers installed)

PC SPECS:

i5 4670k
gigabyte gtx770 4gb
8gb ram
256gb SSD
3x asus 23inch 1920x1080 monitors (2 DVI side, 1 HDMI main)

Hi all, I've been having this issue for the past few months and it is really bothering me. So, at times after a cold boot (PC not on for 12hours) my GTX 770 is not recognised. I have three monitors, and it boots to the left monitor through DVI. The screen has the wrong resolution for around 10sec, then it goes black, and all monitors turn on into the proper resolution (all are 1920x1080). After this point, there is no indication that i have a gpu installed.

The way i usually fix this temporarily is to completely uninstall the nvidia drivers (including registry editing etc) and perform a clean install. The gpu would work for maybe a week to a month, until, again it stops working and proceeds to the previous problem.

I've checked, and all cables are properly fitted, no excess dust inside my PC including GPU fans a ran multiple cos starts. The rig is only 8 months old.

Not sure what is going on, its driving me nuts!

PS. Forgot to mention, when i do a full install of the drivers, the system boots up all screens into correct resolution, WITH the gpu recognised (obviously with no drivers installed)

PC SPECS:

i5 4670k

gigabyte gtx770 4gb

8gb ram

256gb SSD

3x asus 23inch 1920x1080 monitors (2 DVI side, 1 HDMI main)

What motherboard are you using?

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Motherboard, also meant to say when i do a full delete of the drivers, not a fresh install (changed above as well)

That mobo seems to not be available anymore. Have a look.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

That mobo seems to not be available anymore. Have a look.

Bought it around 8 months ago

Try using DDU to wipe the Nvidia driver and then install driver again.

Shut down, detach all but one monitor, boot into safe mode (mash F8 when booting up) and run DDU to wipe graphics drivers.

And then reboot into normal mode to install Nvidia drivers.

Then one last time shut down to reattach the other monitors.

Ok, i'll try that and get back to you once it's done

Shut down, detach all but one monitor, boot into safe mode (mash F8 when booting up) and run DDU to wipe graphics drivers.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know this even existed. It should come in handy if I ever need it. :)

Bought it around 8 months ago

Yeah, I know. Just saying the products unavailable on PCCG now. :)

Ok, i'll try that and get back to you once it's done

Ok, i've done a clean wipe of the Nvidia drivers with DDU in safe mode, rebooted into normal, installed Nvidia drivers to the latest ones, rebooted into my 3 screens and everything seems to be working fine.

However, as has happened in the past, i suspect this issue will happen again in the near future. Let's hope it doesn't. Anything else I should be doing?

Yeah, I know. Just saying the products unavailable on PCCG now. :)

Yeah sorry, I copied from my wishlist (easier to organise my parts) from PCCG and didn't release it was a link:)

Yeah sorry, I copied from my wishlist (easier to organise my parts) from PCCG and didn't release it was a link:)

Ahh, that explains it. Your bad! LOL JK

Well if it happens again, and the screens trip up even before you get through the boot sequence, could be evidence that its a hardware related issue.

If its hardware its probably the mobo or GPU.

If you get into Windows and your GPU/drivers go AWOL, its either the GPU or something is up with your boot sector data.

If Windows is installed on a mechanical drive you can check it for corrupt data and bad sectors. If you are certain that your MBR is damaged you can proceed to repair or rebuild it.

Ok thanks for the info. Installed on an SSD btw. I'll look out for those signs in the future, thanks.

I find it a little strange that the resolution is set properly when you remove the drivers. So strange that I'm very skeptical of it. Does Windows take any longer to boot after you uninstall the drivers?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch