Blue Yeti Pro, XLR connectors

Onyx

Hey guys,

I been using a yeti pro for a while now and last week in my infinite wisdom I moved my desk while it was on it and so the mini usb port was damaged when it fell, since the warranty is over I thought I should just utilize the 5-pin XLR jack. Here's my problem I have never used XLR before and the only thing I can find that turns my xlr into a jack my PC has is a 3pin XLR stereo to 3.5mm jack (http://www.swamp.net.au/mixer-to-pc-cable.html).

Is this the optimal way of converting the ports or is there a better way?

thanks for the help in advanced.

That cable is for something completely different. You'll need a new soundcard or a xlr to usb thingeymabob.

hello

XLR 5 pin basically transmits two audio signals to each channel, plus a ground, I doubt any chain of passive cables/converters to 3.5mm would be useful to you.

Luckily, Blue makes a usb converter just for you: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Icicle-Converter-Preamp/dp/B001EW5YQS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372293237&sr=8-2&keywords=5+pin+xlr+to+usb

XLR 5 pin basically transmits two audio signals to each channel, plus a ground, I doubt any chain of passive cables/converters to 3.5mm would be useful to you.

Luckily, Blue makes a usb converter just for you: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Icicle-Converter-Preamp/dp/B001EW5YQS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372293237&sr=8-2&keywords=5+pin+xlr+to+usb

I was searching amazon for cables earlier and came across this.

hello

The Yeti Pro should have come with a splitter cable to adapt the 5-pin XLR to two 3-pin connections.  Here's a link to a similar cable.  I'm not sure if the pinout of this cable matches the Yeti, but it should be easy to resolder.  (probably best to find a spare splitter cable from Blue though)

According to the Yeti Manual you'll need an external preamp with phantom power to use the XLR connection.   So you can use the Blue Icicle mentioned above if you just need mono, and use something like this if you need two channels.  Depending on your application, you may not want to skimp on a preamp, although I imagine the Icicle will be very close to the sound you're used to.

Hey guys,

I been using a yeti pro for a while now and last week in my infinite wisdom I moved my desk while it was on it and so the mini usb port was damaged when it fell, since the warranty is over I thought I should just utilize the 5-pin XLR jack. Here's my problem I have never used XLR before and the only thing I can find that turns my xlr into a jack my PC has is a 3pin XLR stereo to 3.5mm jack (http://www.swamp.net.au/mixer-to-pc-cable.html).

Is this the optimal way of converting the ports or is there a better way?

thanks for the help in advanced.

XLR is a professional balanced cable wich requires 3 pins to operate that is why they added a 5 pin port since you can share the ground and allow for stereo output.

Now you should have the breaker cable for XLR. 

All XLR interfaces are with a 3 pin XLR and you need a sound card that can drive the mic since it will be analog now and convert it to digital and the prices are not pleasant.

MY SUGGESTION: 

Since you cant afford XLR because its expensive I would just try to get a Professional Audio Shop that repairs stuff to replace that USB port since I bet that the rest of the mic is good. You will spend no where near what you would to get XLR working properly and be able to keep using the mic as you used to.

So yeah just try to replace the USB port. If you know soldering you can even try it for yourself =) Is just a port, nothing special.

Now trust me, a proper XLR where you will take full advantage of that mic will cost you around 150$. And Im going cheap XD

With something like (Any of those except the last one that doesnt have USB):

http://artproaudio.com/art_products/signal_processing/usb_audio_devices/

You have too M-Audio equipment that can do it or some AVID (previously Digidesign).

Just replace the USB port XD

• 10 months later...

Hey everyone-- here is a cord that I found and purchased that solves the 5-pin Blue Yeti Pro (other) XLR to Dual XLR (Left/Right ) Y Male cord problem. 

As you know-- the Blue Yeti Pro comes with a XLR converter.  I'm trying to plug it into my new Zoom 6 portable recorder, but the issue is that it requires a single 3 pin male XLR.  The issue is that, not only is the Blue Yeti Pro cord not 3 pin (it's 5 pin), the adapter they provide splits into two L-R 3-pin males.  So I finally found and purchased a couple of these cords that are two 3 pin female receptor XLR that then merge into one 3 pin male XLR, to solve the problem... thus merging the two L-Rs into one stereo sound that will fit into my 3-pin Zoom... AND of course into any sound board requiring that.

I hope this helps-- I'm no expert about these things, but this might be as helpful for you as you've been to me in this forum.  It was through reading your responses that I was able to figure out my need and then that clarity helped me find what I needed.. and I want to pay it forward in hopes of helping someone like you have helped me.

Here's the problem, with photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5vt1knd34qwq6w/Blue%20Yeti%20Problem.jpg

Here's the fix (product): http://www.showmecables.com/product/28133.aspx with photo.  This sends those two cords into one, so you can plug it into a mixer or portable recorder requiring 3 pin XLR.

Hey everyone-- here is a cord that I found and purchased that solves the 5-pin Blue Yeti Pro (other) XLR to Dual XLR (Left/Right ) Y Male cord problem. 

As you know-- the Blue Yeti Pro comes with a XLR converter.  I'm trying to plug it into my new Zoom 6 portable recorder, but the issue is that it requires a single 3 pin male XLR.  The issue is that, not only is the Blue Yeti Pro cord not 3 pin (it's 5 pin), the adapter they provide splits into two L-R 3-pin males.  So I finally found and purchased a couple of these cords that are two 3 pin female receptor XLR that then merge into one 3 pin male XLR, to solve the problem... thus merging the two L-Rs into one stereo sound that will fit into my 3-pin Zoom... AND of course into any sound board requiring that.

I hope this helps-- I'm no expert about these things, but this might be as helpful for you as you've been to me in this forum.  It was through reading your responses that I was able to figure out my need and then that clarity helped me find what I needed.. and I want to pay it forward in hopes of helping someone like you have helped me.

Here's the problem, with photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5vt1knd34qwq6w/Blue%20Yeti%20Problem.jpg

Here's the fix (product): http://www.showmecables.com/product/28133.aspx with photo.  This sends those two cords into one, so you can plug it into a mixer or portable recorder requiring 3 pin XLR.

Nice thread necro!  :)

Still, using a splitter to "mix" two signals isn't proper. Works as a temporary fix, but not something you should be doing permanently when you have quality in mind.

Hi there, 

Like ShearMe said, that is more of a temporary solution if you care about noise. The reason XLR uses 3 pins for a mono channel is because it uses a balanced mode, where it denies noise from outside sources in the cable.

So the 3 pins are ground, + and - and basically the way it works is the signal is sent through the cable in 2 ways: the normal signal and inverted. At the destination the receiver will mix both + and - signals, which if it is completely clean it should mean silence, if its not it will use it to remove the noise added in the cable.

By using that adapter you are turning both channels from balanced mode to unbalanced. So basically it uses only the positive part of the signal and because of that is not able to compare in the end any noise that the cable gets will stay in your signal.

If you are using the Zoom H6, each XLR port is a mono balanced input so if you want true stereo you should run 2 cables.

If you dont want to run 2 cables, you can always use a XLR cable with 5 pins, using stuff like this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/neutrik_nc_5_fxx.htm

http://www.thomann.de/pt/sommer_cable_square_4core_mkii_highflex.htm

So basically you run 1 cable with the 2 balanced signals and use the spliter that your Blue yeti have to connect to your Zoom H6 in the end.

Neutrik by the way, is like one of the best brands in the world when talking about plugs. That is why they are expensive xD

Hope it helps.

That cable is for something completely different. You'll need a new soundcard or a xlr to usb thingeymabob.

Correct. You need the included 5 pin to dual 3pin xlr adapter, two xlr cables, and something like the Scarlett 2i4 or 2i2, either way you need phantom power.

• 1 year later...

Hi there, 

Like ShearMe said, that is more of a temporary solution if you care about noise. The reason XLR uses 3 pins for a mono channel is because it uses a balanced mode, where it denies noise from outside sources in the cable.

So the 3 pins are ground, + and - and basically the way it works is the signal is sent through the cable in 2 ways: the normal signal and inverted. At the destination the receiver will mix both + and - signals, which if it is completely clean it should mean silence, if its not it will use it to remove the noise added in the cable.

By using that adapter you are turning both channels from balanced mode to unbalanced. So basically it uses only the positive part of the signal and because of that is not able to compare in the end any noise that the cable gets will stay in your signal.

If you are using the Zoom H6, each XLR port is a mono balanced input so if you want true stereo you should run 2 cables.

If you dont want to run 2 cables, you can always use a XLR cable with 5 pins, using stuff like this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/neutrik_nc_5_fxx.htm

http://www.thomann.de/pt/sommer_cable_square_4core_mkii_highflex.htm

So basically you run 1 cable with the 2 balanced signals and use the spliter that your Blue yeti have to connect to your Zoom H6 in the end.

Neutrik by the way, is like one of the best brands in the world when talking about plugs. That is why they are expensive xD

Hope it helps.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it is exactly what I am trying to figure out as a newbie, so... here we go:

I have a Blue Yeti Pro and a Zoom H6, and I would like to connect the Yeti Pro to the Zoom 6.

If done correctly, does it mean that I should:

Blue Yeti Pro -> Y cable (5 pin to 2xXLR mono) -> 2x individual XLR cables -> separate channels on Zoom H6 (e.g. 1 &2)?

And for the phantom power setting on the H6, Is it correct to set 48V to provide to both channel 1 & 2? Or is providing power to one channel enough?

For another scenario, If I want the output of the Blue Yeti Pro to become one single XLR input to the H6, using the merging cable mentioned by FreddyCardoza, will it do any harm to the audio? And is supplying just 48V to that single channel on the H6 enough to power the Blue Yeti Pro?

Sorry if the questions seem stupid... but I am totally clueless and I would like to clarify before I supply phantom power to the Blue Yeti... in case I burn things up~~~

Thanks for your help in advance!

Kind Regards,

John

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it is exactly what I am trying to figure out as a newbie, so... here we go:

I have a Blue Yeti Pro and a Zoom H6, and I would like to connect the Yeti Pro to the Zoom 6.

If done correctly, does it mean that I should:

Blue Yeti Pro -> Y cable (5 pin to 2xXLR mono) -> 2x individual XLR cables -> separate channels on Zoom H6 (e.g. 1 &2)?

And for the phantom power setting on the H6, Is it correct to set 48V to provide to both channel 1 & 2? Or is providing power to one channel enough?

For another scenario, If I want the output of the Blue Yeti Pro to become one single XLR input to the H6, using the merging cable mentioned by FreddyCardoza, will it do any harm to the audio? And is supplying just 48V to that single channel on the H6 enough to power the Blue Yeti Pro?

Sorry if the questions seem stupid... but I am totally clueless and I would like to clarify before I supply phantom power to the Blue Yeti... in case I burn things up~~~

Thanks for your help in advance!

Kind Regards,

John

Hi there,

I guess its ok bring this post back since its the same subject. 

Not wanting to be a jerk but from the manual:

Using Yeti Pro in Analog Mode:

Not only can you plug your Yeti Pro directly into your computer to record high fidelity recordings, but you can also plug Yeti Pro into a phantom power-capable microphone preamplifier and record as you would a standard microphone! To use Yeti Pro in Analog Mode, you will need to plug the supplied Y-cable into the 5 pin connector at the bottom of the Yeti Pro microphone. If you are going to use the Yeti Pro in Stereo, you will need two microphone preamplifiers (or a two channel preamp). As with all other stereo recordings, using matched preamplifiers will provide the best results. The white XLR connector on the Y-cable carries the left channel signal, and the red XLR connector on the Y-cable carries the right channel signal. If you are recording in Cardioid, Omnidirectional, or Bidirectional, you’ll only need to plug in the white (left) XLR connector into a preamplifier (both channels will output the same signal). Once you’ve plugged the Yeti Pro into your microphone preamplifier(s), set the microphone gain on the microphone to zero. Once you’re plugged into your preamplifier(s), you’ll want to control the gain with your microphone preamplifier(s) as opposed to the gain on the Yeti Pro microphone. 

This means that in Analog (so using XRL connections):

- if in Stereo mode you use both XLR connections,

- if in Cardioid (most common mode), Omnidirectional or Bidirectional you only need to use the left channel, so the White XLR connector. 

About phantom I really impressed about the Zoom H6 and its ability to set phantom to individual ports. (page 87 of Zoon H6 manual HERE)

I would recommend just feeding phantom power into 1 port even if in strereo mode. Just activate phantom into the left channel or white XLR connector. 

The Yeti manual is really REALLY poorly done so there is little technical stuff in it. I would contact Blue Microphones support and ask if there are any danger of feeding phantom in both XLR inputs at the same time just for some peace of mind. There shouldn't be any problem, but just in case since we aren't sure.

Hope it clarifies your doubts,

Ralms :)

EDIT: 

Important note from Yeti Pro manual:

Once you’ve plugged the Yeti Pro into your microphone preamplifier(s), set the microphone gain on the microphone to zero. Once you’re plugged into your preamplifier(s), you’ll want to control the gain with your microphone preamplifier(s) as opposed to the gain on the Yeti Pro microphone. 

Hi there,

I guess its ok bring this post back since its the same subject. 

Not wanting to be a jerk but from the manual:

This means that in Analog (so using XRL connections):

- if in Stereo mode you use both XLR connections,

- if in Cardioid (most common mode), Omnidirectional or Bidirectional you only need to use the left channel, so the White XLR connector. 

About phantom I really impressed about the Zoom H6 and its ability to set phantom to individual ports. (page 87 of Zoon H6 manual HERE)

I would recommend just feeding phantom power into 1 port even if in strereo mode. Just activate phantom into the left channel or white XLR connector. 

The Yeti manual is really REALLY poorly done so there is little technical stuff in it. I would contact Blue Microphones support and ask if there are any danger of feeding phantom in both XLR inputs at the same time just for some peace of mind. There shouldn't be any problem, but just in case since we aren't sure.

Hope it clarifies your doubts,

Ralms :)

EDIT: 

Important note from Yeti Pro manual:

Dear Ralms,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply~ I feel much more confident doing the connections now. (The Yeti Pro is my first mic that requires phantom power... hence all the stupid question earlier.... :P Thanks for baring with me)

I will send an email to Blue and ask if supplying phantom to both xlr channel is needed if connected in analogue stereo mode. Will post the reply here once I get an answer.

Cheers!

John

It is a condenser mic, it definitely needs Phantom Power. Its the nature of the capsules the mic uses.

OP if you don't mind me asking, is there a specific reason you chose the Yeti Pro over its alternatives? Was multiple pickup patterns an important feature for you? Likewise did you consider the non-Pro USB version of the Yeti?

The Yeti Pro isn't "Pro" because it has superior audio quality, it has the same tiny tiny capsules the regular Yeti has, it is called "Pro" because it uses an XLR connection and all the supporting hardware that connector implies.

I did consider the non pro version of the Blue Yeti before, but I just wanted to make sure I will have more options with the microphone if I do start playing with XLR connectors. Hence the purchase (Also because I was influenced by my girlfriend at the time who also had the Blue Yeti Pro).

I am newbie with microphone, so I just went with the Yeti as it was highly recommended by lots of people on the net. And of course after trying the microphone myself at my girlfriend's place, I am even more convinced. The multiple pattern is useful for me as I do sometimes use the microphone as a group at a round table, for conference recording. But most of the time I use the cardioid pattern.

Regarding the phantom power in stereo mode, I am still awaiting for an answer from Blue. But I have tried using just the L channel earlier with 48V phantom power, everything works perfectly!

Hello everyone,

Got a reply from Blue. You only need to supply to just ONE of the XLRs when you connect in stereo mode with the Blue Yeti Pro Microphone. Either L or R will be fine.

Now everything is clear :)

Kind Regards,

John