STRIX GTX970 vram - I can't get past 3,5G in ANY game

plnk
Go to solution Solved by R_Golden,

rZ4JarY.jpg?1

I got to 4gb, 4k DSR plus TXAA 4X in Far Cry 4. Also, didn't get any stuttering, not sure why.

Like the topic is saying. I cannot get past 3,5GB VRAM no matter what I do. 4k DSR? Max settings? Nope. I've seen people have >3,5GB in use with their 970s.

Is this 0,5GB partition something that Afterburner can't really access and show on the OSD or the graphs?

If you're a STRIX owner - can you get past 3,5GB RAM? If so - in what games and scenarios (other than 4k DSR and max settings)?

What I want is to see the performance past this point for myself if it really stutters this much.

What I can test on: Dying Light, Watch_Dogs (no Far Crys or Unity, but I have any other Assassin's Creed), any other game from here: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197987529334/games/?tab=all  :)

owls are awesome

We got a slowpoke here :P

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Not this type of thread again :unsure: The 3,5GB VRAM issue has been out for days now

We got a slowpoke here :P

you were right. My answer was gonna be way more rude lol.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

It's been said that third-party apps will not detect when that .5 VRAM is being used, if it's being used at all.

Is the performance not up to what you want? Was it underperforming before you knew about this?

you were right. My answer was gonna be way more rude lol.

it's contagious tho! 

Main Rig
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Phone

it's contagious tho! 

true. we want to maintain a friendly environment here on LTT. So i guess i'll just stop replying to super obvious topics. ;)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

I just need some confirmation from other STRIX users. Just ignore the topic if you don't have anything meaningfull to add.

owls are awesome

I just need some confirmation from other STRIX users. Just ignore the topic if you don't have anything meaningfull to add.

Apologies :P

Main Rig
Phone

"You are trolling."  Is this correct?

There is a problem with 970's.

Apologies :P

+

Just take a quick google search for "970 vram issue" and you will find plenty. I recommed PCpers article.

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

Known problem by 970's. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

"You are trolling."  Is this correct?

There is a problem with 970's.

I know about the issue, yet I've seen people use more than 3,5GB VRAM on other 970s. Those were MSIs or EVGAs or not specified. I cannot do that on my strix. In ANY game (even the same as in the screenshot). I just want to know if other strix users experience the same. Maybe ASUS did some more "undoings" to Maxwell.

owls are awesome

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/297381-nvidia-responds-to-gtx-970-35gb-memory-issue/

It's the most reasonable explanation that it's just another part of that design.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I know about the issue, yet I've seen people use more than 3,5GB VRAM on other 970s. Those were MSIs or EVGAs or not specified. I cannot do that on my strix. In ANY game (even the same as in the screenshot). I just want to know if other strix users experience the same. Maybe ASUS did some more "undoings" to Maxwell.

Everyone is really waiting to find out too.  No one knows the all the details.  NVidia, although they are trying not to leave everyone in the dark, are not going to fully admit any error on their part... yet.  They should not, until they should.

from what i know it's basically impossible to use more because it's limited by the architecture unless you run independent programms where one can use the 3.5gb partion and the other one the slower 0.5 gb partion.

Maybe the guys were running multiple programms or 980s?

If you are seriously upset about that nvidia now offers to return the card for free in any case so you could go and get a 980.

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

MSI AB does detect both pools of memory, so if you're using more than 3.5GB it would correctly display it as such.

Asus has yet to do anything as far as I know.

Try Shadow of Mordor with the Ultra HD texture pack, it excels at eating VRAM.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Nah, I won't return it, I'm really fine with the performance, only this is bugging me beyond recognition. :) How come other 970s can access this 0,5GB and mine cannot. I guess I should feel kind of lucky, no stuttering for me, but... yeah.

I think I should get Shadow of Mordor. They say it's a great game. ;) And demands tons of VRAM.

owls are awesome

You don't need to own a STRIX to say that this is an issue for all 970's

But yeah all the 970's are having this issue and some are f**king mad about it.

Me? well i'm on team red now because of this.

I don't trust company's that make a shitty/faulty product and lie about it

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Nah, I won't return it, I'm really fine with the performance, only this is bugging me beyond recognition. :) How come other 970s can access this 0,5GB and mine cannot. I guess I should feel kind of lucky, no stuttering for me, but... yeah.

I think I should get Shadow of Mordor. They say it's a great game. ;) And demands tons of VRAM.

Your memory is working perfectly. I'll reiterate the same advice you've been getting all thread. Do your own bloody research. pcper has a great article on this issue. it was apparently a miscommunication between nividea's engineering, and marketing arms. There's 4 GB of vram there, it just isn't all equal, and unfortunately it's software controlled. Now pull your head out of whatever nether region it's occupying, and do some research..... (breathes deep) I feel better now

You don't need to own a STRIX to say that this is an issue for all 970's

I own a Strix card. This is not about the issue for other 970s.

Your memory is working perfectly. I'll reiterate the same advice you've been getting all thread. Do your own bloody research. pcper has a great article on this issue. it was apparently a miscommunication between nividea's engineering, and marketing arms. There's 4 GB of vram there, it just isn't all equal, and unfortunately it's software controlled. Now pull your head out of whatever nether region it's occupying, and do some research..... (breathes deep) I feel better now

I've done my research. All those articles have benchmarks with VRAM usage over 3,5GB. I cannot get to that point on my Strix and apparently other people can. I want to know if that's a Strix specific thing or I just cannot find an appropriate place to test this.

owls are awesome

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2tu86z/discussion_i_benchmarked_gtx_970s_in_sli_at_1440p/

The GTX 970 is a 3.5gb card. It will perform horribly once 3.5gb of Vram is used and is a deal breaker to many high resolution enthusiasts.

Nvidia scammed you.

Dont defend nvidia for the love of god.

They were either grossly incompetent at best of fucking liars at worse.

They faked their specs.

Proof:

Exibit A:

The video i linked 

Exbith B:

Fake specs at launch:

REVISED SPECS after this debacle

NJjhPSB.pngOriginal specs:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-geforce-gtx-970-strix-review,5.html

I own a Strix card. This is not about the issue for other 970s.

I've done my research. All those articles have benchmarks with VRAM usage over 3,5GB. I cannot get to that point on my Strix and apparently other people can. I want to know if that's a Strix specific thing or I just cannot find an appropriate place to test this.

It isn't a strix thing it is a case of whatever software you're using detecting the in use L2 cache, and not looking any further. If your game/benchmark requires that last 0.5 GB it has to buddy up with the memory block next to it, and pass through the same cache, creating a bottle neck in your system. Did you not find it strange that you were paying 300 bucks less for something that is a mildly de-tuned 980? sheesh