5GHz WiFi adapter?

Tim Drake

Okay so I get lag whenever my mum watches Netflix or someone else looks at the router funny and powerline adapters don't work and my mum refuses to let me ethernet it.

What are my options here because I get terrible rubberbanding when my ping spikes in all Battlefield Games which is my favorite game series.

Somebody please help me because my life of networking is just imploding.

Depends on how far you are from the router, 5Ghz has less range than 2.4Ghz, it sounds like a signal issue. You could try looking for a router with better range?

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

Depends on how far you are from the router, 5Ghz has less range than 2.4Ghz, it sounds like a signal issue. You could try looking for a router with better range?

We just got a new SuperHub so I doubt it's a router problem.

I feel like the fact that I might get a consistent signal defeats the less signal.

I just don't know what to do..

Virgin media superhub right? Yep wireless on those is just awful, I've got one. Your best bet would be look up perhaps an Asus AC wireless router, they have pretty good range and signal strength, or a wireless access point to boost signal but that'll need wiring

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Virgin media superhub right? Yep wireless on those is just awful, I've got one. Your best bet would be look up perhaps an Asus AC wireless router, they have pretty good range and signal strength, or a wireless access point to boost signal but that'll need wiring

Wtf, I am not spending that much on a router!

In my experience routers under £40 will just be bad, routers £50-75 will do the job very well, anything over that you've bought it for a reason, what budget do you have in mind?

In my experience routers under £40 will just be bad, routers £50-75 will do the job very well, anything over that you've bought it for a reason, what budget do you have in mind?

No clue

Can't use PCI because it restricts my GPU cooling.

You haven't really told us anything that can help with troubleshooting so.....

Can you post a speedtest both from next to your router (wired) and from the PC in question? Can you ping your router from your PC both when Netflix is running and when it's not? Can you give us the specs of both your router and the adapter you're currently using (N300? N600? N900?)? Do you get the same issues if you're playing a game with your PC plugged directly into the router?

My guess is that if you're having the same problems with both wireless and poweline it's your internet connection not your wireless setup. But without any information it's impossible to give good advice as to what you can actually do about it.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Log into your router and make sure the Transmit Power is set to high, full or max. The Default IP for most routers is usually 192.168.0.1, after you do that make sure the Ethernet cable going from your Modem to the Router is Cat-6. (It'll say on the cable). The difference between Cat-5, Cat-5e and Cat-6 cable is astronomical and your local cable/internet company isn't going to install it (You most likely have Cat-5e). In A LOT of cases this simple $8 cord can make a HUGE difference and faster internet effects everyone so that's an easy way to sell it to your mom. If you have one of those piece of **** 2-1 Modem/Routers however that all the cable/internet company's are forcing onto everyone than your options are a bit more limited. You could make sure the Coaxial cable going into it is RG-6 and not RG-59 but the gain would be minimal unless the cord is very long in which case it would be very high. And you could also log into it and again check that the Transmit Power is set to High, full or max.

My Rig- CPU: Phenom II X4 955 3.2@3.6ghz (OC) Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 Ram: 2x4GB Patriot Viper 1333@1666Mhz (OC) Cooling: Corsair H55 liquid cooler (CPU), 3x120mm 3 speedTricool blue LED case fans (2 front 1 rear), 1x200mm 3 speed Tricool turbine (top)  PSU: Corsair CX600  GPU: XFX R9 270X 1050@1150 (OC) Storage: 1x60gb OCZ Vertex III (Boot) 1x500GB Western Digital Black (Storage) Keyboard: Roccat ISKU Alien FX Multicolor  Mouse: Roccat Cone Pure Multicolor  Headset: Logitech G430 Display: LG Flatron W2353V

I think it may just be my area guys because someone who lives 5-10 minutes away from me has no access to internet at the moment so maybe my ISP is just dying.

Better hope it improves soon!