Google hands over Wikileaks staffers data

-snip-

Well most people who defend the US are usually American my bad.

Did you know that the apache was so high up there is no way those people would of even seen it? Yes some were armed but would you go out in the open without weapons in such a country? Did you know the laws over there allow anyone to carry a gun? No doubt these guys were either general people taking the right precautions or part of a small militia helping some people out to show the world what is happening in there country! Just because something is aloud doesn't mean its right!! Also an investigation was opened after this was leaked so i think your wrong in saying this was not wrong! 

edit: did i mention there were children involved?!

Yes, very true, but the people who's data has been gathered by force, have a right to know that their privacy has been violated. It's called full disclosure. If the government has a warrant to take your things, you have a right to know what things they are taking.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Absolutely everything, yes 100% of all information that humans have access to needs to be leaked on the free internet.

If the info is on a US based server and the warrants are legit, who cares? The legal process was followed correctly.

Not talking about Russia. They're broadening the term "aiding the enemy" a lot lately. It's not just countries anymore. If a terrorist takes more precautions due to Snowden's revelations, he was "aiding the enemy".

Are we at war with al Qaeda and Isis or not?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Are we at war with al Qaeda and Isis or not?

Are you really implying that he was helping terrorists because he showed the world that the US was treating its own constitution as a worthless piece of paper, spying on its allies and its own citizens ... all because of a threat that's barely worth mentioning?

This is a tough question because both sides have valid points. There lately have been some leaks that it genuinely seems like the public didn't need to know about, but I think WikiLeaks net impact has been beneficial. Same with Snowden.

I believe there's even evidence of conspiracy between Eric Schmidt and the FBI but that's just hearsay.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

• 3 weeks later...

Don't get me wrong: we need whistleblowers, but wiki leaks has put our military at risk several times and has been instigating violence without any discretion when it comes to controversial policies or actions when it never knows the full story. More than half the time wiki leaks causes more harm than good.

Ehh... where do I start here. no no no no and no??? Wikileaks is no thread to the Irish government, Norwegian government, etc and so on. Wikileaks is a "threat" to governments who conduct atrocities, cover up information where they should not. Stop invading other countries for oil and other financial reasons and I'm sure 1) the world will keep on ticking over without you and 2) I am sure no one will be looking to "attack" you

As for you Google, come on man you can be such an awesome organisation some times and then you just let us down. Although did I not hear that they were considering encrypting their internal traffic so that they would not know what is what and would not be able to pass on info to governments? Maybe I'm confusing things here though

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Personally I'd just prefer if governments stop doing shady shit all together. You wanna develop military technology? fine, but stop thinking you have a right to all data ever.

Worried about terrorists? restrict travel to your country from that country, or maybe start deporting people from those countries, not really fair but the only other option is to turn into what you've always claimed you stand against.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Personally I'd just prefer if governments stop doing shady shit all together. You wanna develop military technology? fine, but stop thinking you have a right to all data ever.

Worried about terrorists? restrict travel to your country from that country, or maybe start deporting people from those countries, not really fair but the only other option is to turn into what you've always claimed you stand against.

People will just go to the next neighboring country which we allow air travel from. These are non-starter solutions. Also, deportation requires a visitor or visa holder broke the law. Are the rights of other people not as important as yours?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

People will just go to the next neighboring country which we allow air travel from. These are non-starter solutions. Also, deportation requires a visitor or visa holder broke the law. Are the rights of other people not as important as yours?

I can't really thing of a better solution. Sure you could blanket deport everyone from that area of the world, but it's not a good solution.

I don't think there is a good solution at this point in time, or ever will be.

Edit: Short of banning any and all religions from the world, still doesn't stop terrorism. And you'd have to ban them all in order to be "fair"

Ehh... where do I start here. no no no no and no??? Wikileaks is no thread to the Irish government, Norwegian government, etc and so on. Wikileaks is a "threat" to governments who conduct atrocities, cover up information where they should not. Stop invading other countries for oil and other financial reasons and I'm sure 1) the world will keep on ticking over without you and 2) I am sure no one will be looking to "attack" you

As for you Google, come on man you can be such an awesome organisation some times and then you just let us down. Although did I not hear that they were considering encrypting their internal traffic so that they would not know what is what and would not be able to pass on info to governments? Maybe I'm confusing things here though

The number of times wiki leaks has put up full documentation of US military strategy and even intentions of troop movement days before they occur is absolutely a threat to US safety. Wiki leaks and its creators/hosts should be hung at the gallows on public television for the lives they've put at risk. There are things you reveal, and there are things you don't. Wiki leaks has made the world a much more dangerous place.

I can't really thing of a better solution. Sure you could blanket deport everyone from that area of the world, but it's not a good solution.

I don't think there is a good solution at this point in time, or ever will be.

The only good solution is the unsavory one. Just stop letting your emotions cloud your judgment.

The only good solution is the unsavory one. Just stop letting your emotions cloud your judgment.

Yeah. other than suicide bombing, my personal favorite is arming everyone and teaching them to fight for themselves. Hard to terrorize people and take hostages if every single one of your potential hostages is armed and willing to blow your ass away.

But then that would make the government and police partially obsolete....can't have people protecting themselves after all. Not to mention other problems it would create.

Yeah. other than suicide bombing, my personal favorite is arming everyone and teaching them to fight for themselves. Hard to terrorize people and take hostages if every single one of your potential hostages is armed and willing to blow your ass away.

But then that would make the government and police partially obsolete....can't have people protecting themselves after all. Not to mention other problems it would create.

You can't paramilitarize the entire country. It takes at minimum 1 full year of endless training in martial arts, survival, and combat. The amount of money that would require is prohibitive enough. And the entire tactic of terrorism is unforeseeable sneak attacks which you can't defend against, such as suicide bombers. The most effective solution is comprehensive tracking of data and contact. You can't hire enough agents to cover everyone suspected of terrorist ties and sympathies. This is why computers are now doing so much of the tracking, and why Snowden is a treasonous worm for revealing that and setting back efforts against Al Qaeda and others at least a decade.

The number of times wiki leaks has put up full documentation of US military strategy and even intentions of troop movement days before they occur is absolutely a threat to US safety. Wiki leaks and its creators/hosts should be hung at the gallows on public television for the lives they've put at risk. There are things you reveal, and there are things you don't. Wiki leaks has made the world a much more dangerous place.

Name one instance where WikiLeaks have leaked intelligence on a future military action, just one and I'll climb back into my whole and be quiet

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

The stupidity is strong in this one.

Name one instance where WikiLeaks have leaked intelligence on a future military action, just one and I'll climb back into my whole and be quiet

The stupidity is strong in this one.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/nov/30/wikileaks-cables-us-forces-embedded-pakistan

Sorry but this ended up killing 9 of our soldiers. Go rot in Hell.

You can't paramilitarize the entire country. It takes at minimum 1 full year of endless training in martial arts, survival, and combat. The amount of money that would require is prohibitive enough. And the entire tactic of terrorism is unforeseeable sneak attacks which you can't defend against, such as suicide bombers. The most effective solution is comprehensive tracking of data and contact. You can't hire enough agents to cover everyone suspected of terrorist ties and sympathies. This is why computers are now doing so much of the tracking, and why Snowden is a treasonous worm for revealing that and setting back efforts against Al Qaeda and others at least a decade.

His leaks revealed that members of the NSA were using there positions to spy on their own spouses, which is not only illegal but immoral. Not to mention the head of the NSA blatantly lying to congress by saying "no, the NSA is not spying on Americans at large". And before you say "there are protections for whistleblowers" or whatever, take note that the current administration has secured more jail time for whistleblowers than all other previous administrations combined.

Yeah, terrorism needs to be fought, but we can't become what we've always despised in order to do it, a nation of spies where you're afraid to speak in front of your neighbor, lest they turn you into the gestappo for a few extra rations next week. While we aren't there yet, it's not a long trip to get there, we already have had the IRS being used as a political weapon, what next? People have a right to know what their government is doing on their own soil.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/nov/30/wikileaks-cables-us-forces-embedded-pakistan

Sorry but this ended up killing 9 of our soldiers. Go rot in Hell.

Can you provide proof that those 9 soldiers were killed BECAUSE of the leak?  Could have been random, those groups will attack anything that wears any military uniform.

Can you provide proof that those 9 soldiers were killed BECAUSE of the leak?  Could have been random, those groups will attack anything that wears any military uniform.

Or anything that moves or otherwise doesn't submit to their literal interpretation of Islam.

I wish you'd stop singling out the "current" president, since you seem to talk about administration in almost all of this. The president really has no power in your administration, we've seen this over and over again. He's a puppet, so who is sitting at that spot makes no difference and this happening on Obama's "watch" is just because we happen to live in a more information age than before.

And as always, I leave you with this:

-snip

I said "this administration". Not specifically this president. Never mind that the executive branch and agencies that fall under its purview have been doing messed up shit for a while, like bullying journalists, kicking down doors and taking files to find whistleblowers, threatening journalists with exclusion from white house press conferences if they report negatively on the government, etc.

I absolutely loath quoting myself but seems there is no option here. "Name one instance where WikiLeaks have leaked intelligence on a future military action"

I read that entire article and it talks about the past, and while I expected there to be more of a time gap than just 1 year its still the past.

Oh and PS:

no mention of deaths in that article, wtf are you on about dude. 

again, Name one instance where WikiLeaks have leaked intelligence on a future military action

Can you provide proof that those 9 soldiers were killed BECAUSE of the leak? Could have been random, those groups will attack anything that wears any military uniform.

They weren't in uniform when they were hunted down and killed. Most of them were in cover situations.