Codenames for AMD Volcanic Islands GPUs Revealed

Stav Kats

I just got a really nice job and have very minimal bills being a single dude living in a small apartment haha, I plan to take advantage of that when I do my next build. 4770k, crossfire 7970s (now going to be 9970s) 16 GB of ram, high end sound card, fully water cooled, 27 inch 1440p monitor, the works. And then I will sob at my bank account when it's empty again. But I'll be building it in stages since I don't want to wait for september to have a desktop again so hopefully that'll lessen the blow, and I won't be upgrading THIS build for awhile afterwords haha

Thats weird cause in the other thread you said you were gonna buy a new computer when you got a better job lol..

Thats weird cause in the other thread you said you were gonna buy a new computer when you got a better job lol..

I just got hired this week haha, not even kidding. I start next monday, moving to San Francisco this weekend.

Well, maybe he recently got it :)

They are releasing the next gen in Q3. This is officially confirmed. And they will release the drivers for CF frame rating fix on July 31st. So you will be good to go when new cards hit the shelf.

Next-gen as in 20nm? If so, I want the source.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Funny cause you said that today in a thread lol.. :)

Well good for you on job..

I just got hired this week haha, not even kidding. I start next monday, moving to San Francisco this weekend.

Well congratulations :)

Funny cause you said that today in a thread lol.. :)

Well good for you on job..

meant to say when I START, my bad. It's 4:30 am here and I have had beer to celebrate  ;)

Next-gen as in 20nm? If so, I want the source.

next gen as in 9000 series cards

next gen as in 9000 series cards

That's not a next-gen card unless they are 20nm. If they remain 28nm it's just a rehash.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

That's not a next-gen card unless they are 20nm. If they remain 28nm it's just a rehash.

Its rumored to be 20nm, no official report on that tho.

Its rumored to be 20nm, no official report on that tho.

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/05/20/amds-volcanic-islands-architecture/

The rumors where false. Even if TSMC has started with 20nm, I doubt AMD would be the first to recieve their chips.

how has anything been proven false on an unreleased card series that has had very little in the way of official press? It was just announced that they're even coming this year, we know nothing other than hearsy about the cards themselves yet.

how has anything been proven false on an unreleased card series that has had very little in the way of official press? It was just announced that they're even coming this year, we know nothing other than hearsy about the cards themselves yet.

The 20nm rumor that was floating around was fake. That's all the article says. And honestly I'm almost 100% certain that AMD won't release 20nm cards this year.

The 20nm rumor that was floating around was fake. That's all the article says. And honestly I'm almost 100% certain that AMD won't release 20nm cards this year.

and why is that?

I'd like to keep the options open. I will believe it being only a rumor until AMD itself disapproves the fact.

and why is that?

TSMC, that is why. Even if they start manufacturing 20nm this year, you can be most certain that Apple will receive the chips first.

TSMC, that is why. Even if they start manufacturing 20nm this year, you can be most certain that Apple will receive the chips first.

TSMC signed off on their plans for the 20nm architecture in March, and Apple isn't expected to release new products aside from the ones already announced until 2014. That gives AMD a sweet spot of a few months to get these GPUs in before Apple finalizes their design for the chips

TSMC signed off on their plans for the 20nm architecture in March, and Apple isn't expected to release new products aside from the ones already announced until 2014. That gives AMD a sweet spot of a few months to get these GPUs in before Apple finalizes their design for the chips

The A8 processor is being made. The "design for the chips" is done.

The A8 processor is being made. The "design for the chips" is done.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/TSMC-Apple-A-Series-A8-Global-UniChip,23217.html

That's from today, if they are going to start producing A8's next month that means that their 20nm production line is likely already installed. Since it says they're being produced in limited quantities at first, there is every reason to believe that they can be producing the AMD chips at the same time. Hell, they could be producing them right now.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/TSMC-Apple-A-Series-A8-Global-UniChip,23217.html

That's from today, if they are going to start producing A8's next month that means that their 20nm production line is likely already installed. Since it says they're being produced in limited quantities at first, there is every reason to believe that they can be producing the AMD chips at the same time. Hell, they could be producing them right now.

And you believe that it is a good idea to start manufacturing next month and release cards on a brand new chip two months later? I think they will need to fine-tune it more. For example, Apple is releasing their A8 chip on devices next year.

And you believe that it is a good idea to start manufacturing next month and release cards on a brand new chip two months later? I think they will need to fine-tune it more. For example, Apple is releasing their A8 chip on devices next year.

as I said, they could well be making cards now. They signed off on the process in March, they've had an agreement with Nvidia for 20nm since december so whose to say they didn't start switching over as soon as the signed off on the process? They already had clients that wanted the process lined up for months, and had it ready to go.

For a moment, yeah, but with a few months, they got the pricing right.

I remember when they first launched here- they were retailing for 900$! :lol:

PC in Profile

I remember when they first launched here- they were retailing for 900$! :lol:

price of the 7970 at launch was $540

price of the 7970 at launch was $540

Down here in India thats what it was retailing for when it had launched last year

PC in Profile

Down here in India thats what it was retailing for when it had launched last year

ah alright, that explains it, man I'm glad I live in the US haha