Codenames for AMD Volcanic Islands GPUs Revealed

Stav Kats

Well, we can pretty much kiss 20nm goodbye for a while. Check the link out and see for yourselves.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35168564&postcount=60

Nice find, so we're still looking about a 1k jump in SP's but on a 28nm chip. I can live with that. Won't make any decisions until benchmarks arrive but looks like it could be one hell of a card. Heres hoping they price it right.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Nice find, so we're still looking about a 1k jump in SP's but on a 28nm chip. I can live with that. Won't make any decisions until benchmarks arrive but looks like it could be one hell of a card. Heres hoping they price it right.

Yea pricing is very important here. Hopefully it costs less than the 780.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Because this is how this industry works. One comes and beats the other, simple as that. And AMD has had MUCH more time to develop this gen gpu than Nvidia.

Do you really think amd is making changes to their next gen GPUs at this point? They aren't. It takes years to develop a graphics card. The only thing AMD would benefit from having nvidia release their's first would be what to make the release prices.

Do you really think amd is making changes to their next gen GPUs at this point? They aren't. It takes years to develop a graphics card. The only thing AMD would benefit from having nvidia release their's first would be what to make the release prices.

I know, did you read the next sentence maybe?

I know, did you read the next sentence maybe?

What do you mean much more time? Are you referring to the time between the release of the 780 and now? Or the time that the GK110 GPU has existed?

What do you mean much more time? Are you referring to the time between the release of the 780 and now? Or the time that the GK110 GPU has existed?

Im saying that when AMD released their last gen and this next one. Its been much longer time to develop than Nvidia. Last gen Nvidia released later and this year earlier.

Im saying that when AMD released their last gen and this next one. Its been much longer time to develop than Nvidia. Last gen Nvidia released later and this year earlier.

They don't just develop a card between releases. Companies like nvidia, AMD, and Intel have a devoted team to each generation of processor/GPU which exist far earlier than the release of the prior generation of product. For example, the "team" that developed haswell is Intel's Oregon team. So basically, the next generation of AMD GPUs has been in development far before the release of even the 7000 series, as have next gen nvidia GPUs. I'm not saying they won't be faster, but if they are (which I hope they will be), it isn't at all correlated to the length of time between the prior release and now.

They don't just develop a card between releases. Companies like nvidia, AMD, and Intel have a devoted team to each generation of processor/GPU which exist far earlier than the release of the prior generation of product. For example, the "team" that developed haswell is Intel's Oregon team. So basically, the next generation of AMD GPUs has been in development far before the release of even the 7000 series, as have next gen nvidia GPUs. I'm not saying they won't be faster, but if they are (which I hope they will be), it isn't at all correlated to the length of time between the prior release and now.

Yeah I understand that the architecture is being worked on far eariler, but I still think that the time between releases is as important.

and why is that?

It's obvious Xelithium wishes that they aren't 20nm because that means AMD will once again triumph against his beloved Nvidia.

It's obvious Xelithium wishes that they aren't 20nm because that means AMD will once again triumph against his beloved Nvidia.

this

/respect

>_> Xelithium's obvious Nvidia fanboyism is sickening.

EDIT: YES I DID SAY FANBOYISM

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball