Codenames for AMD Volcanic Islands GPUs Revealed

Stav Kats

It includes the Fire Pro and the Radeon series of GPUs.

It doesn't say much about specs or release date, just the code names and some extra info.

Sourcehttp://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-GPU-Hawaii-Volcanic-Islands,23209.html#xtor=RSS-998

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Yes yes, we get a thread like this everyday.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

How do you guys not read other news?? This is old as fuck.

Can someone guess that is 9970 faster than 780.

If 9970 is 20nm then yes, slightly. Otherwise it won't be able to get near.

GK110 is beast.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

If 9970 is 20nm then yes, slightly. Otherwise it won't be able to get near.

GK110 is beast.

Thanks for guess, i think that i whait and buy 9970.

9970 will 100% beat the 780.

Based on what? Please don't have that attitude on a freaking tech forum.

Based on what? Please don't have that attitude on a freaking tech forum.

Because this is how this industry works. One comes and beats the other, simple as that. And AMD has had MUCH more time to develop this gen gpu than Nvidia.

Because this is how this industry works. One comes and beats the other, simple as that. And AMD has had MUCH more time to develop this gen gpu than Nvidia.

No it isn't as simple as that, AMD won't release a card priced around the GTX 780 pricepoint. AMD is about value. And I honestly doubt AMD has a chip with the same performance as GK110.

Oh and AMD already has a card that beats the 780, it's called 7990. That is their strategy to beat Nvidia high-end cards, dual GPU cards.

No it isn't as simple as that, AMD won't release a card priced around the GTX 780 pricepoint. AMD is about value.

The same occured last gen. 7970 still beat the 680, even its lower value.

The same occured last gen. 7970 still beat the 680, even its lower value.

7970 GHz edition does, in some cases. It was released after the GTX 680. The GTX 680 stomped the first 7970. (I'm not counting overclocking here).

7970 GHz edition does, in some cases. It was released after the GTX 680. The GTX 680 stomped the first 7970. (I'm not counting overclocking here).

7970 launched 2,5 months before the 680. And why wouldnt you count the overclock? OC is a part of the cards capability. The only reason 680 beat the 7970 at launch, is because it has almost 100 mhz more on the core. If you overclock both of them, make an even playground, 680 doesnt stand a chance in most cases.

7970 launched 2,5 months before the 680. And why wouldnt you count the overclock? OC is a part of the cards capability. The only reason 680 beat the 7970 at launch, is because it has almost 100 mhz more on the core. If you overclock both of them, make an even playground, 680 doesnt stand a chance in most cases.

Believe it or not, the majority don't overclock. You can't use the following marketing "FASTER THAN 680 IF YOU OVERCLOCK GUISE!!!!".

Its obvious that you own an nvidia card and root for the green team. 

Believe it or not, the majority don't overclock.

Well, i dont care for other people. If the performance is there, then its there.

Well, i dont care for other people. If the performance is there, then its there.

You know what? What ever floats your boat.

But for the majority, the performance isn't there.

You know what? What ever floats your boat.

But for the majority, the performance isn't there.

The majority dont own an high end card. Do you overclock?

Talking about value, did you all forget how much the 7970 cost when first came out?

PC in Profile

Talking about value, did you all forget how much the 7970 cost when first came out?

For a moment, yeah, but with a few months, they got the pricing right.

As someone who is going to start building a new computer soon and was thinking about crossfire 7970s I really wish AMD would just give us some solid info on these cards. If they're coming out this year, even at the end, I'll buy everything else and just wait. If it's not coming until next year then I'll buy the 7970s

As someone who is going to start building a new computer soon and was thinking about crossfire 7970s I really wish AMD would just give us some solid info on these cards. If they're coming out this year, even at the end, I'll buy everything else and just wait. If it's not coming until next year then I'll buy the 7970s

They are releasing the next gen in Q3. This is officially confirmed. And they will release the drivers for CF frame rating fix on July 31st. So you will be good to go when new cards hit the shelf.

They are releasing the next gen in Q3. This is officially confirmed. And they will release the drivers for CF frame rating fix on July 31st. So you will be good to go when new cards hit the shelf.

well I guess it's a good thing I've been waiting, thanks for the info! Hopefully they aren't priced like the 780s or my $4200 build is gonna jump to $5000+ pretty quick. And hopefully Some full cover blocks for the 9970s come out pretty quick too but that can wait longer.

well I guess it's a good thing I've been waiting, thanks for the info! Hopefully they aren't priced like the 780s or my $4200 build is gonna jump to $5000+ pretty quick. And hopefully Some full cover blocks for the 9990s come out pretty quick too but that can wait longer.

Holy budget! My pc cost only 1200 with a 3570k and a 7970. :D

Holy budget! My pc cost only 1200 with a 3570k and a 7970. :D

I just got a really nice job and have very minimal bills being a single dude living in a small apartment haha, I plan to take advantage of that when I do my next build. 4770k, crossfire 7970s (now going to be 9970s) 16 GB of ram, high end sound card, fully water cooled, 27 inch 1440p monitor, the works. And then I will sob at my bank account when it's empty again. But I'll be building it in stages since I don't want to wait for september to have a desktop again so hopefully that'll lessen the blow, and I won't be upgrading THIS build for awhile afterwords haha