is GTX 960 worth it? vs. 285, 280 and 280X

Is GTX 960 worth it over 280, 285, 280x considering its prices will drop to compete with the 960?

I also won't expect it to handle anything I throw at it.

Opinions are gladly accepted :)

The 960 doesn't need to exist, as I said before

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

nah, I would gladly cough up the extra cash for a R9 290.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

From what I've seen, I agree.

I've heard a lot of people saying how unimpressed with it they are.

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

Save up if you can. If not the 280 is cheaper and has very similar performance. And the 280X is a bit more expensive but much better performance.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Sorry for not reading that up, but wouldn't you mind explaining it to me, or just link it :)

nah, I would gladly cough up the extra cash for a R9 290.

GTX 970 costs much less here. Pricing in PH is way to BS.

Sorry for not reading that up, but wouldn't you mind explaining it to me, or just link it :)

GTX 970 costs much less here. Pricing in PH is way to BS.

Well, the 280x and the 285 both perform better than the 960. And they are cheaper, at least in Australia

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Save up if you can. If not the 280 is cheaper and has very similar performance. And the 280X is a bit more expensive but much better performance.

If I would go the 280X route, Will just save more and get a 970. What do you think?

960 and 285 are both failed cards before they even launched. 2Gb Vram is just stupid now in days.

I agree with you, knowing that next-gen games are already up there and about to come. I think they solely rely on driver optimization and code optimization on games to prove that their cards can handle it. Personally, would still prefer 285 over 280 because it cost 10% less here in PH.

Well, the 280x and the 285 both perform better than the 960. And they are cheaper, at least in Australia

Some benchies from Linus, TechOfTomorrow, HardwareCanucks and Tom's shows different results such as, some show that 960 won over 285, some show 285 won over 960. But yeah, 280X really defeats the 960. If AMD drops its price off like the 960, it would dominate the $200 market.

If I would go the 280X route, Will just save more and get a 970. What do you think?

I agree with you, knowing that next-gen games are already up there and about to come. I think they solely rely on driver optimization and code optimization on games to prove that their cards can handle it. Personally, would still prefer 285 over 280 because it cost 10% less here in PH.

The 970 is a great card, if you can afford it. Otherwise the 290, or 280X is also a great choice.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

960 took an arrow to the knee. don't waste you money.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I really liked the 285 but i won't pay good money for it cause of the crippled and weak 2GB frame buffer.

Some benchies from Linus, TechOfTomorrow, HardwareCanucks and Tom's shows different results such as, some show that 960 won over 285, some show 285 won over 960. But yeah, 280X really defeats the 960. If AMD drops its price off like the 960, it would dominate the $200 market.

The unfortunate thing is, people are going to buy it due to the good reputation of the 980 and 970

The 970 is a great card, if you can afford it. Otherwise the 290, or 280X is also a great choice.

sadly, the 290 costs a lot more than the 970 here. 280X also cost around $287 here and 970 costs $344

960 took an arrow to the knee. don't waste you money.

Yeah, I think the Poll can really tell us why. I think the hype on the 960 just drove me off. I mean, I've been waiting for it honestly. But I'm disappointed on what it came up with.

sadly, the 290 costs a lot more than the 970 here. 280X also cost around $287 here and 970 costs $344

Yeah, I think the Poll can really tell us why. I think the hype on the 960 just drove me off. I mean, I've been waiting for it honestly. But I'm disappointed on what it came up with.

How much is the 960, and 280?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

I really liked the 285 but i won't pay good money for it cause of the crippled and weak 2GB frame buffer.

But performance wise, its a good 1080p card, but AMD advertised it as a QHD card. lol

The unfortunate thing is, people are going to buy it due to the good reputation of the 980 and 970

+ the hype it gets before its release, i'll check /pcmasterrace subreddit and see people raging out there. lol!

The GTX 960 performs slightly above the R9 280 and slightly below the R9 280X, however, both R9 cards consume more than twice the amount of power under load than the 960 does. If electricity is a concern, the it may be worth considering.

As talked about before, Maxwell is pretty good with overclocking. A GTX 980 overclocks, percentage wise and in actuality, better than an R9 290X ever could, so I don't doubt the GTX 960 could achieve some good clocks if you're into that.

If you're mainly talking about 1080p gaming, I think the GTX 960 is a pretty good contender. Probably more worth it than the 280 and 280X if power is a concern and overclocking a factor.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

The 960 is a card nvidia released as a money grab to their fanboys.  They either pay the same money for a cheaper to produce card with no tangible performance benefits over the 760, or spend 130+ more for a 970.  It's a big EFF YOU to the entire 200 dollar gpu market segment.  But it won't matter, 2/3 +++ of the market for discreet gpus and climbing, the devotion is strong with the green crowd.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

How much is the 960, and 280?

the 960 would be shipped tomorrow here and be available, I think prices here are as followed, [regular U.S price] + [$10].

280 costs around $285, which is from Sapphire and it's the cheapest, and the 280X costs around $287 which is from HIS.

That pricing! :))

But performance wise, its a good 1080p card, but AMD advertised it as a QHD card. lol

+ the hype it gets before its release, i'll check /pcmasterrace subreddit and see people raging out there. lol!

With 2GB Vram you will be forced all to often to turn down the filters.

the 960 would be shipped tomorrow here and be available, I think prices here are as followed, [regular U.S price] + [$10].

280 costs around $285, which is from Sapphire and it's the cheapest, and the 280X costs around $287 which is from HIS.

That pricing! :))

I try to stay away from HIS and Powercolor, though some people say they're fine. At that price I'd go 280 or 960. Probably 960.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

The GTX 960 performs slightly above the R9 280 and slightly below the R9 280X, however, both R9 cards consume more than twice the amount of power under load than the 960 does. If electricity is a concern, the it may be worth considering.

As talked about before, Maxwell is pretty good with overclocking. A GTX 980 overclocks, percentage wise and in actuality, better than an R9 290X ever could, so I don't doubt the GTX 960 could achieve some good clocks if you're into that.

If you're mainly talking about 1080p gaming, I think the GTX 960 is a pretty good contender. Probably more worth it than the 280 and 280X if power is a concern and overclocking a factor.

I like your opinion, electricity is a concern here in PH. It really cost a fortune for us to pay bills here. And yeah, 960 runs alot more cooler and is efficient enough for my concern (electricity). But this will be a new card and a new build for me, so I would like to consider to run games at 1080p for the next 3 years to come. And I don't think the 960 would cut it.

I also heard that AMD would release a new card on the Q2 of 2015, which I think would compete with the 960 aggressively.

The 960 is a card nvidia released as a money grab to their fanboys.  They either pay the same money for a cheaper to produce card with no tangible performance benefits over the 760, or spend 130+ more for a 970.  It's a big EFF YOU to the entire 200 dollar gpu market segment.  But it won't matter, 2/3 +++ of the market for discreet gpus and climbing, the devotion is strong with the green crowd.

Agreed. :/

With 2GB Vram you will be forced all to often to turn down the filters.

Correct. Some badly coded games would run bad at 960 i guess. :(

I try to stay away from HIS and Powercolor, though some people say they're fine. At that price I'd go 280 or 960. Probably 960.

I think HIS is quite good, I've heard alot about it, but I'll take your opinion as a grain of salt. I think I'll go with a 970, because my current build plan now costs $888, isn't it gr8 m8?  :lol:

Correct. Some badly coded games would run bad at 960 i guess. :(

I think HIS is quite good, I've heard alot about it, but I'll take your opinion as a grain of salt. I think I'll go with a 970, because my current build plan now costs $888, isn't it gr8 m8?  :lol:

Perfect, don't change a thing. You'll be very happy with that 970. Good luck.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler