Thermal Paste question

I plan on replacing  my stock cooler with an after market cooler. I am not sure which thermal paste i should get. 

Thank you for your help.

some great options are: ic diamond, mx-4 but most time you are good with the included with the cooler

I plan on replacing  my stock cooler with an after market cooler. I am not sure which thermal paste i should get. 

Thank you for your help.

Maybe your new CPU cooler comes with some thermal paste preaplied.

If not, the Artic MX-4 is a good one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

There are a lot of good ones, I have not a lot of experience with thermal pastes yet but Linus is a huge fan from IC diamond, which seems to be very good but very thick.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I use MX-4. And no you cannot eat it.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

some great options are: ic diamond, mx-4 but most time you are good with the included with the cooler

Had a friend that used IC diamond and he swears it is the worst think on the face of the planet. said it scratched his CPU and that his temps go flying. I would stick to arctic personally, a lot of people use it. and if im not mistaken MOST aftermarket coolers come with thermal paste preapplied but it never hurts to have some laying around.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Had a friend that used IC diamond and he swears it is the worst think on the face of the planet. said it scratched his CPU and that his temps go flying. I would stick to arctic personally, a lot of people use it. and if im not mistaken MOST aftermarket coolers come with thermal paste preapplied but it never hurts to have some laying around.

"scratched his CPU"

... He must've been applying it pretty hard to scratch the thing. AKA, PEBKAC.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

"scratched his CPU"

... He must've been applying it pretty hard to scratch the thing. AKA, PEBKAC.

Idk but either way. there is still his thermal problem. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

i recomended it because its highly rregarded by linus, i personally cant even buy it without paying like 20€ on shipping alone but that is a pretty weird problem

i recomended it because its highly rregarded by linus, i personally cant even buy it without paying like 20€ on shipping alone but that is a pretty weird problem

ya, well linus has those things where he has used it for a while and had good luck and other people hate it. thats why i always do research :p

If he scratched his CPU, was he smearing the thermal compound on a knife and applying it that way?

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

well ketchup works best but mx-4 last longer but usually your aftermarket cooler comes with something quite good 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

ya, well linus has those things where he has used it for a while and had good luck and other people hate it. thats why i always do research :P

most people highly recomend it though, i think it was your friend that had bad luck :P but yeah just use any thermal paste, they are all good pretty much

I go for the Arctic Silver 5. Does really well and is reasonably priced.

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

Linus got a whole box of IC diamond, as he showed in 1 of his videos.

I've been using Noctua NT-H1 for several years.

Intel i7 5820K Asus X99-A | G.Skill 2133MHz 4x8GB | Asus STRIX GTX980 | 500GB Samsung EVO 840 | Corsair AX760W | Qnix WQHD Matte | Windows 10

Scratched his CPU? Thermal paste can't do that, its paste. I think you'll find that he himself scratched his CPU because he wasn't being very careful. People are quick to blame something else for their mistakes, this really irritates me.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Scratched his CPU? Thermal paste can't do that, its paste. I think you'll find that he himself scratched his CPU because he wasn't being very careful. People are quick to blame something else for their mistakes, this really irritates me.

Like i said, im just going off of what he said, i didnt see anything im just the messenger. 

Like i said, im just going off of what he said, i didnt see anything im just the messenger. 

Well I wouldn't believe a thing he's said as I know for a fact that thermal paste in no way shape or form could do that, he'd have to apply it using sandpaper in order to even scratch it. Also if his temperatures are going crazy hes probably put FAR to much thermal paste on. I'm not trying to be offensive here so don't take this the wrong way but... you seem to know some very dense people. How do you deal with it? I'd of shouted at someone! haha

Back on topic. I feel as if the OP should be using MX-4 as i've always had good experiences with it, AS5 is also quite good however it has a longer curing time so i'd go for something a bit more immediate.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Well I wouldn't believe a thing he's said as I know for a fact that thermal paste in no way shape or form could do that, he'd have to apply it using sandpaper in order to even scratch it. Also if his temperatures are going crazy hes probably put FAR to much thermal paste on. I'm not trying to be offensive here so don't take this the wrong way but... you seem to know some very dense people. How do you deal with it? I'd of shouted at someone! haha

Ya, i wouldnt call him dense seeing as how he is on the forum as well. Just saying i doubt he will appreciate it. and again, dont shoot me, im the messenger,

Ya, i wouldnt call him dense seeing as how he is on the forum as well. Just saying i doubt he will appreciate it. and again, dont shoot me, im the messenger,

Ye you dont shoot messengers you behead them..... 

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Ye you dont shoot messengers you behead them..... 

Either way :p