See ya GTX 580 - Ahoy GTX 960

Rorix

havnt checked price in canada? is it that the 960 is very cheap here or that the R9 280/280x are overpriced?

In any ways though i have seen great deals on R9 290 and R9 290X recently that's what i would recommend if one can afford a 350$ GPU...

EDIT: ...well i just checked and the GTX960 is priced similar to the R9 280X...AMD is still the better choice in canada.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296017-for-fucks-sake-canada/

"Rawr XD"

The fact that the GTX 960 has aprox 63% less cores than a 970, half the memory bandwidth, and still is debuting at a $250 price point, i would not touch the card personally. It absolutely NEEDS to be $200 to even match the price to performance alone on core count ($200 + 63% = $326, the MSRP of GTX 970 is $329). If you factor in the memory bandwidth being even slower than the 970 and 980, you still lose out on price:performance in my eyes.

The 970 is easily the price:performance sweet spot on the green team. It has 63% more cores than the 960, and 23% less cores than the 980. However, it also costs 67% less than a 980, making it the obvious choice when factoring in how much performance you get for the price. Honestly, the red team has better budget oriented cards at this point, with the only budget nvidia card worth touching being the GTX 750 Ti, due to its lack of a 6 pin connector and extremely low TDP for OEM cases, or small form factor builds.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

i have never tried the other side... you know the AMD side so maybe its time for me to try it... leave my internal fanboy outside in the cold.

i have never tried the other side... you know the AMD side so maybe its time for me to try it... leave my internal fanboy outside in the cold.

I don't think that'd be a mistake personally.

shop for an R9 290 or R9 290X man, best bang for the bucks...high-end performance.

If those are too much then the R9 280X or R9 280 are your next best thing IMHO...

nvidia line up sucks right now except for the GTX 970 which is okay for the price...everything else is too expensive right now.

...and if you game at 1080p make sure you get a card with AT LEAST 3GB of VRAM.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR