GTX 760 @ $250. Bad release pricing?

MooseParade

So after watching multiple unboxing and benchmark videos on the GTX 760 this morning I have to ask, what's with the pricing? Newegg (haven't checked NCIX) has two EVGA 760's at $250 while there is a 7950 (Sapphire) on Newegg for $280. 6-12 fps faster for $30. I'm not understanding the launch price by Nvidia.

GTX 760 2gb 256-bit $250

7950 3gb 384-bit $280 ($260 after rebate) + Never settle bundle

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

So after watching multiple unboxing and benchmark videos on the GTX 760 this morning I have to ask, what's with the pricing? Newegg (haven't checked NCIX) has two EVGA 760's at $250 while there is a 7950 (Sapphire) on Newegg for $280. 6-12 fps faster for $30. I'm not understanding the launch price by Nvidia.

GTX 760 2gb 256-bit $250

7950 3gb 384-bit $280 ($260 after rebate) + Never settle bundle

A gtx 760 at stock beats the hd 7950 by over 10% and when overclocked it can reach gtx 770 performance. I think that the price is good.

A gtx 760 at stock beats the hd 7950 by over 10% and when overclocked it can reach gtx 770 performance. I think that the price is good.

Yeah its a bit better than the 7950. But don't forget that 7950 is an awesome overclocker as well. But given the never settle bundle I would say the 7950 is a better deal. However the price of the 760 is still reasonable

Yeah its a bit better than the 7950. But don't forget that 7950 is an awesome overclocker as well. But given the never settle bundle I would say the 7950 is a better deal. However the price of the 760 is still reasonable

I do agree but any cheaper i think it would be too cheap. Also with the card you are getting nvidia technologies.

Unfortunately Newegg's benchmarks didn't include any AMD cards but Anandtech's did and they have the GTX 760 going back and forth with the 7950 in all games. 

Now I'm confused to the testing method and outcomes. Why the major difference?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Unfortunately Newegg's benchmarks didn't include any AMD cards but Anandtech's did and they have the GTX 760 going back and forth with the 7950 in all games. 

Now I'm confused to the testing method and outcomes. Why the major difference?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review

Game differentiation + Linus overclocks all his GPUs, 7950 is an absolute champ when it comes to overclocking.

The launch price is good if the buyer does not intend to overclock, otherwise the 7950 is the better choice + if there was a 2GB 7950 card it will most likely cost 250$ (7870 Tahiti LE).

I would compare the 760 to the 7870 tahiti le in terms of performance.

Did you watch the linus review? The 7950 dominates the 760.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

But isn't the 760 meant to be the 'successor' to the 660Ti?  It is cheaper and offers slightly better performance, although the price does seem kinda shady when compared to an AMD card

GTX 760 is a good deal for NVidia fans.  It solidly outperforms the GTX 660 TI by 10-15% and it's cheaper.  Also at stock, a factory OC'ed one for 260 will beat an HD 7950 at factory OC'ed.  But yes AMD Never Settles.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

GTX 760 is a good deal for NVidia fans.  It solidly outperforms the GTX 660 TI by 10-15% and it's cheaper.  Also at stock, a factory OC'ed one for 260 will beat an HD 7950 at factory OC'ed.  But yes AMD Never Settles.

I'd rather buy a GTX 760, OC it and buy the new Never Settle coupon off ebay for like $30-$40 like I did with the current Never Settle bundle.

This way I get the best of both worlds.

Also remember that it supports Shadowplay so gamers who like to record might lean more towards it

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Also remember that it supports Shadowplay so gamers who like to record might lean more towards it

If i remember right though its only saves the last 20mins of gameplay. If i'm wrong correct me.

yeah but it records your last 20 min of gameplay so if you have cool moment and you forgot to hit record, don't worry it still got captured after you hit the button,

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

At stock means nothing, with the current gpu gui's, overclocking is literally a slider drag away.

Here is some overclocking then : 

perf_oc.gif

Here is some overclocking then : 

perf_oc.gif

Fair enough then! Although, i somehow doubt that every 760 oc's that well :P

You're right. I saw some gtx 760 which could barely oc and this.

At stock means nothing, with the current gpu gui's, overclocking is literally a slider drag away.

The silicon-lottery applies to GPUs as it does to CPUs. This is why Stock clock benchmarks are more important than OC benchmarks. Stock clocks are guaranteed where as OC clocks are not.

You're right. I saw some gtx 760 which could barely oc and this.

It seems like the 760 you saw which could barely overclock was an exception rather than the norm. I looked though TechPowerUp's reviews and the average overclock they achived on their 6 different cards were 13% on the base clock and 21.5% on the memory.

Nvidia stock version

MSI TwinFrozr

Palit JetStream

Asus DirectCU II

Gigabyte WindForce OC

EVGA with ACX Cooler

My GTX 650 Ti will only do 60mhz (at any voltage) over factory OC. So yeah, OC'ing in benchmarks should be taken with a grain of salt.

I wanted to be excited for this card but it really does seem like the 7950 is the better deal. And the Never Settle Bundle is just icing on the cake.

Kind of ridiculous when you consider how old the 7950 is now. This should be a no contest win for the 760, but it just isn't. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

I wanted to be excited for this card but it really does seem like the 7950 is the better deal. And the Never Settle Bundle is just icing on the cake.

Kind of ridiculous when you consider how old the 7950 is now. This should be a no contest win for the 760, but it just isn't. 

The 760 was never meant to go up against the higher-end cards like the 7950/7970. It's the successor to the 660 Ti. That's it. If you want a card that beats the 7950 then get a 770 or 780.

All this bickering about what card beats what that isn't even in the same tier is just silly.

The 760 was never meant to go up against the higher-end cards like the 7950/7970. It's the successor to the 660 Ti. That's it. If you want a card that beats the 7950 then get a 770 or 780.

All this bickering about what card beats what that isn't even in the same tier is just silly.

If I was a consumer I would think paying up an extra 30$ to get a higher tier card would be a good deal.