Device memory specs and memory partitioning in smartphones

I've been digging around and haven't really found any info on the amount of device memory on different smartphones. Yes the memory amount of the phones (16/32/64 Gb etc) is always included in the specs but that memory is partitioned in to device memory, USB memory and the part of the memory which stores the OS. For example my Galaxy S II reportedly has 16 Gb of memory of which 1,97 Gb is device memory, 11,50 Gb is USB memory and the rest seems to be for the OS.

I have loads of room on my device's USB memory but the device memory is constantly full. I'm getting tired of clearing caches and removing apps for releasing memory so that I can keep my phone functional and I'd like to avoid the problem with my next phone.

As far as I know re-partitioning the memory capacity of phones is really hard if not impossible to do but device memory can be increased by using a separate (partitioned) sd-card. Seems like this requires rooting the phone though. Directions for Android phones in the link: http://rootmyandroid.org/increase-internal-memory-phone.html

What I would like to know is does the amount of device memory scale with the overall memory so that a phone with 32 Gb of memory has around 4 Gb of device memory and so on, or does it depend on the manufacturer? Why is it that the amount of device memory is never listed in the spec sheets and is there any web page that announces also those memory amounts on smartphones?

thank you for your time :)