SEIKI Announces 39" 4K TV for $700

w_km

SEIKI, the company that brought us the first affordable 4K TV (50") at $1400, has announced a 39" 4K TV and most importantly it retails for $700!

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/SEIKI-Announces-39-4K-Ultra-HDTV-700#comment-208285

It probably won't have the superior clarity of a high-end monitor and apparently has a 120Hz input refresh rate with a 30Hz actual display refresh rate, but at least their going in the right direction with the smaller size and lower price (in case you're wondering, its pixel density is 113 PPI, compparable to the 109 PPI of a 27" 1440p monitor).  If you think about it, it's like buying 4 x 1080p 24" TVs, not such a bad deal eh? ;)   It's available for pre-order this week (6-27-13) and will likely ship soon considering the fast turn-around of the 50".  What are your thoughts? Concerns? Will you buy one?

Edit: the company also released a 65" version slated to release later this year

Edit: Pre-Order from Sears here: http://www.sears.com/seiki-39inch-class-4k-120hz-led-ultra-hdtv/p-05703146000P?sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL

Does it have the new HDMI that supports 4k?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

LOL that is cheaper than some high end 1440p monitors.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Does it have the new HDMI that supports 4k?

"The model is also packaged with an HDMI 1.4 standard cable to enable video resolutions beyond 1080p." I don't know if that's the new one.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I wouldn't trust a 4k screen that cheap personally. I would rather get one when there is a lot more 4k content. Right now i'm playing a game that has a maxed resolution at 1024x768p so what would it look like on there XD.

Most likely has the same support as the 50" they released earlier this year.  I think the limitations will be in the 30Hz panel itself, but I wonder how nice the gaming or movie image would be running on the 770/780/Titan setups...good thing is I think we'll see more and more 4K gaming setups because, quite honestly, $700 is pretty fricken cheap this early in the game.

"The model is also packaged with an HDMI 1.4 standard cable to enable video resolutions beyond 1080p." I don't know if that's the new one.

I think he meant hdmi 1.4b, but display port can still push 4k at 60fps so why shouldn't that be used?

I wouldn't trust a 4k screen that cheap personally. I would rather get one when there is a lot more 4k content. Right now i'm playing a game that has a maxed resolution at 1024x768p so what would it look like on there XD.

Seiki does offer a 1 year warranty and they seem to (at least) be responsive to their customers' problems.

Seiki does offer a 1 year warranty and they seem to (at least) be responsive to their customers' problems.

I'm coming from the perspective though of a Dell Ultrasharp w/ a 3 year warranty and high quality parts.

LOL that is cheaper than some high end 1440p monitors.

It is cheaper than all 1440p monitors that I know of.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I think he meant hdmi 1.4b, but display port can still push 4k at 60fps so why shouldn't that be used?

Probably because its a TV, its its intended to be used as a TV. HDMI was designed for large format projection mediums, DIsplayPort was meant for, well computer displays. HDMI and DP are supposed to compliment each other, not replace each other, so SEIKI took the HDMI route. I believe they are just jumping the gun and trying to get a product out in the market to get people to buy it, that is why they are using a standard that might not be the most ideal here... but from the reviews I've seen of their other 4K TV, I might be sold. 

it looks good but only 30hz. 

My rig: Cpu: AMD 8350 | Cooler: Corsair h100i with Noctua nf-f12 fans | Ram: 8gb 1600 corsair vengeance | Hard Drive: 2x 1tb wd drives in raid 1 | SSd: 128gb plextor m5p  | Motherboard: asrock extreme9  | Graphics card: amd 7850 2gb | Power Supply: ocz modular | Case: cooler master cm 690 ii          Peripherals: | Monitor: x-star 1440p | Mic: blue snowball  | Keyboard: Flashget G600  | Mouse: No name |

I'd personally wait on ANY 4K monitor or TV until the next spec of HDMI is finalized and in the mainstream market. And for reference, I own the Auria 27" 1440p IPS monitor from Microcenter for $400, and aside from the gaming experience the resolution gives you, I'm not too happy with it. So there are 1440p monitors for those on a budget.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

The Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor @ Newegg is like $600.

Didn't know that Asus made a 1440p monitor. I'm getting either an Overlord or Achieva Shimia though.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I'll get one when the screen becomes smaller. I think 30" is beyond huge and won't look good on most desks.

Might get one for the lounge room, its gonig to be a while before the other players get to these prices.
Thats less then i spent on my 40 inch Bravia a year ago!

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I'll get one when the screen becomes smaller. I think 30" is beyond huge and won't look good on most desks.

True and I hope monitors follow TVs sooner than I expect, but I know some gamers who play both their PC and console on a TV, so it's not a bad option if you're in search of a new TV and want a budget 4K TV for the living room, especially since there's a slim chance of ANYTHING 4K coming out for cheaper than this.

True and I hope monitors follow TVs sooner than I expect, but I know some gamers who play both their PC and console on a TV, so it's not a bad option if you're in search of a new TV and want a budget 4K TV for the living room, especially since there's a slim chance of ANYTHING 4K coming out for cheaper than this.

I love playing on a 22"-24" monitor and then emulate some games and put it on the big screen, but 4K emulation? Not worth it. I'll stick to my 37" Vizio 1080p for a while, but I'll buy a 4K monitor that is under 27" in a heartbeat.

Priorities man!

I'd personally wait on ANY 4K monitor or TV until the next spec of HDMI is finalized and in the mainstream market. And for reference, I own the Auria 27" 1440p IPS monitor from Microcenter for $400, and aside from the gaming experience the resolution gives you, I'm not too happy with it. So there are 1440p monitors for those on a budget.

that would be it. don't expect something that cheap to be good. thats like a 80$ 1080p monitor.

it's a tv.

I love playing on a 22"-24" monitor and then emulate some games and put it on the big screen, but 4K emulation? Not worth it. I'll stick to my 37" Vizio 1080p for a while, but I'll buy a 4K monitor that is under 27" in a heartbeat.

Priorities man!

Have you tried a 27" 1440p monitor?  It's borderline 'retina' (can't distinguish pixels) at 36" away...4K displays will certainly look better, but will be twice as expensive for years...not to mention the PC hardware upgrade you may need with 4K.

If consumer reviews about the bigger Seiki display are accurate and the same trends carry over to the smaller display (issues with even-lighting is a common complaint), I'll pass. It's nice that there's a company helping to drive prices for these new 4K displays down so quickly, but I can't feel confident enough about the quality of these particular sets to warrant a potential purchase.

xqefEH.jpg

And 4K TVs were $30,000 about what? 1-2 years ago?

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife