Unsure about ESD

EchoX860

My PC will be here today and I need to install a SSD. I don't have one of those ESD Straps and everywhere I go I see just touch an unpainted metal part of my case. Does that include the metal cover on the back of the PC? Where else can I touch?

Just touch the case as much as you can and you should be fine. I was fine working in slippers on a carpeted surface, but managed to kill a graphics card even with proper protection (which we later tested).

From my experience: don't touch the PSU's casing and another component.

Sig under construction.

Don't build on carpet. Touch your PC case from time to time. A naked spot of a heater is good too. Don't worry about it, you're not a living battery.

who cares...

I also put this in the wrong section. I apologize.

relax, if you manage to kill your pc with esd you will be the chosen one, because it rarely happens.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Don't build on carpet. Touch your PC case from time to time. A naked spot of a heater is good too. Don't worry about it, you're not a living battery.

Where on my case would you recommend? I have the Corsair 300R

Desk (metal) is okay, dinner table. Get a cup or bowl for your screws. I mainly build mine on the bed due to space reasons have not killed anything yet. Although I wear an ankle strap grounded to an electrical outlet (ground pin obviously). A heavy metal record = not okay.

Carpet is only a problem when you move a lot. Since the movement is the reason for build-up of charge. Just touch the radiator or something bare metal (door handle is fine) to ground yourself if you moved about a bit.

Static electricity has a very high voltage but very low amperage. Meaning the discharge consists of not very many electrons. So pretty much any metal object with a mass more than 1 kilogram should be okay (tire iron, wrench, metal desk, doorknob). Even your PC case if the PSU is unplugged (normally the PSU grounds the case but that is mainly for security reasons in terms of alternating current that is deadly to you) suffices as ground spot.

Where on my case would you recommend? I have the Corsair 300R

anywhere. as long as its metal (or metallic paint)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

As said above, modern electronics are REALLY hard to kill with static shock, you pretty much have to purposely try by dragging your feet across the carpet for a few minutes and even then I doubt anything will happen. I spent several years working in cellular sites on the BTSs that are full of circuit boards, never used ESD protection and neither did anyone else I knew, not even the techs themselves. Never had anything blow up. (not from ESD at least  :P)

The whole ESD scare stems from the 80's where being in the same room as someone rubbing a balloon on their head was near enough to fry components, but that is long behind us.

Just play it safe and touch something metal before messing around in your PC and you'll be fine.