Painting Motherboard Heatsinks

QwasJ

Hi guys,

I plan on matching my rig's colors up properly, Most of my components already are in a color suiting the build, but not all.

Two of those not-matching parts are two heat sinks on my motherboard. I read a lot about painting heat sinks on motherboards in all kinds of forums, 

but all I read was really controversial.

To start off:

I know I need to use non-conductive paint, as well paint that dissipates heat well. I will take off the heat sinks before painting them, so no paint will mess up the looks of my motherboard.

Further, I have an extremely well cooled high airflow case with a lot of fans. Still, I'm concerned about heat issues after painting.

So now to my question:

Does anyone know the usual temps of transistors? And sort of the max. temp of them? Did anyone already spray his motherboard heat sinks?

And: What paint can you recommend me? I'd like to have a white spray paint.

It should be fine to paint the heatsinks

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

It should be fine to paint the heatsinks

Did you try it already? Or do have a source i could check?

Did you try it already? Or do have a source i could check?

No I haven't tried it, but if you use a paint that conducts heat well, there shouldn't be any issues

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

No I haven't tried it, but if you use a paint that conducts heat well, there shouldn't be any issues

Okay :) Can recommend any paint?

Okay :) Can recommend any paint?

No sorry :(

Hi guys,

I plan on matching my rig's colors up properly, Most of my components already are in a color suiting the build, but not all.

Two of those not-matching parts are two heat sinks on my motherboard. I read a lot about painting heat sinks on motherboards in all kinds of forums,

but all I read was really controversial.

To start off:

I know I need to use non-conductive paint, as well paint that dissipates heat well. I will take off the heat sinks before painting them, so no paint will mess up the looks of my motherboard.

Further, I have an extremely well cooled high airflow case with a lot of fans. Still, I'm concerned about heat issues after painting.

So now to my question:

Does anyone know the usual temps of transistors? And sort of the max. temp of them? Did anyone already spray his motherboard heat sinks?

And: What paint can you recommend me? I'd like to have a white spray paint.

Paint wise I would usually suggestany regular spray paint since the temperature difference with bare metal and paint is only a few degrees of difference with a thin coat since most modern motherboard heat sinks don't get substantically hot like a GPU. The two main brands I use here are Krylon and Rustoleum but if you want a very bright white to match the case, automotive paints will be better at that.

As for temps it varies on the motherboard and what load your apply to the PC, and if you overclock.

Paint wise I would usually suggestany regular spray paint since the temperature difference with bare metal and paint is only a few degrees of difference with a thin coat since most modern motherboard heat sinks don't get substantically hot like a GPU. The two main brands I use here are Krylon and Rustoleum but if you want a very bright white to match the case, automotive paints will be better at that.

As for temps it varies on the motherboard and what load your apply to the PC, and if you overclock.

I want to have safe temps even under heavy load. Currently, my CPU is barely over clocked, i think around 200 Mhz. My GPU on the other hand is heavily oc'ed D:

Thank you for the recommendation on the paint brands, I'll have a look at them :)

What color do you want to do? What color are the heatsinks right now? Some colors cover better than others and therefor you need less layers. I'd definiteley suggest to get special paint that's made for dissipating heat well.

I haven't done heatsink painting myself yet. @xTrekStorex has done it before.

who cares...

What color do you want to do? What color are the heatsinks right now? Some colors cover better than others and therefor you need less layers. I'd definiteley suggest to get special paint that's made for dissipating heat well.

I haven't done heatsink painting myself yet. @xTrekStorex has done it before.

Currently the heatsinks are blue, i want them white, so I guess I'll need quite a lot of covers :D

@xTrekStorex Do you have any tips for me? Anything to be really careful about?

Currently the heatsinks are blue, i want them white, so I guess I'll need quite a lot of covers :D

@xTrekStorex Do you have any tips for me? Anything to be really careful about?

possibly yes. he also did his heatsinks in white. He was less careful and still got an okay result. i think the paint is most important.

who cares...

I want to have safe temps even under heavy load. Currently, my CPU is barely over clocked, i think around 200 Mhz. My GPU on the other hand is heavily oc'ed D:

Thank you for the recommendation on the paint brands, I'll have a look at them :)

It will be safe temps nothing to really worry about but if you want to try and maximize dissipation the best would be to dye or anodize the metal at a shop but as for paint the best ones to use is a matte finish ceramic based paint for engines with as thin of a coat as possible.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/

@OP people have painted heatsinks in plastidip (infact i have seen them in action) which does not transfer heat well at all and were ok. id just recommend you take the paint that you like the colour most, and use that. make sure to mask off the bottom part, so that the contact area is clean and thats it. 

The fact is, modern chipsets dont heat up that much at all, so as long as there is a piece of metal just pulling hte heat away youll be ok

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

@OP people have painted heatsinks in plastidip (infact i have seen them in action) which does not transfer heat well at all and were ok. id just recommend you take the paint that you like the colour most, and use that. make sure to mask off the bottom part, so that the contact area is clean and thats it. 

The fact is, modern chipsets dont heat up that much at all, so as long as there is a piece of metal just pulling hte heat away youll be ok

Okay, thank you! :)

Okay, thank you! :)

Anytime :)

also, if you want a good coat, prepare the heatsink first, use a sandpaper to rough up the surface (but dont use one taht is too rough) or use a primer coat

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Anytime :)

also, if you want a good coat, prepare the heatsink first, use a sandpaper to rough up the surface (but dont use one taht is too rough) or use a primer coat

Okay, I'll do that  ^_^