ModMic 4.0 has...lackluster audio quality?

Whorax

Hey guys,

I just got my ModMic 4.0 in the mail today. I just plugged it in and spoke into it and after hearing myself talk, it really doesn't sound all that great. As a matter of fact, it hardly sounds better than the mic on my Turtle Beach x12s that I am replacing. Is there something special I need to do? Something to make the quality not sound so bad?

Thanks.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I've actually thought that the sound of all the mod mics are pretty terrible for how much you're paying.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Is it plugged into the front audio connector on your PC? Try the ports on the back, that can make a huge difference. The modmic 4 does sound a bit more "tinny" compared to the version 3, but that's because it's uni-directional and doesn't pick up background noise as badly.

I've actually thought that the sound of all the mod mics are pretty terrible for how much you're paying.

Well I don't think they all sound terrible, because the review on Tek Syndicate's channel is done using the mic throughout the entire video and it sounds exceptional I think, but mine definitely doesn't sound as good as his. I was expecting mine to at least sound a bit better than the one on my Turtle Beaches.

Привет товарищ ))))

Well you could be having the same problem as me! This did the trick and it works flawlessly :D 

CPU: Intel i7 4790k MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97x-UD3H RAM: 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti SC w/ ACX SSD: Samsung 820 128gb HDD: Seagate 1TB PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme 800w Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Is it plugged into the front audio connector on your PC? Try the ports on the back, that can make a huge difference. The modmic 4 does sound a bit more "tinny" compared to the version 3, but that's because it's uni-directional and doesn't pick up background noise as badly.

It's plugged into the back. Is there some sort of software I could download to make it sound better? Like should I try out something like Audacity?

Привет товарищ ))))

Well you could be having the same problem as me! This did the trick and it works flawlessly :D

-snip-

I don't believe I'm having that problem, but I'll definitely look into it more tomorrow to see if I can hear any of that static like noise.

Do you really think it could be my onboard sound? I thought my mobo didn't have particularly bad onboard audio, but maybe I'm wrong... hmm.

Привет товарищ ))))

I don't believe I'm having that problem, but I'll definitely look into it more tomorrow to see if I can hear any of that static like noise.

Do you really think it could be my onboard sound? I thought my mobo didn't have particularly bad onboard audio, but maybe I'm wrong... hmm.

Honestly it's worth a shot. I just did a sound test with and without the adapter. No static noise when it's in the adapter and it does sound better, how it should sound when I listen to other videos.

- Sam

CPU: Intel i7 4790k MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97x-UD3H RAM: 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti SC w/ ACX SSD: Samsung 820 128gb HDD: Seagate 1TB PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme 800w Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Idk, maybe it is you listening to your own voice. Everyone thinks it is weird to listen to their own voice, even moi.

Idk, maybe it is you listening to your own voice. Everyone thinks it is weird to listen to their own voice, even moi.

I don't know. My friends that I was talking to didn't seem to think I sounded any better either. I'll have to mess around with some stuff today and see if I can get any better quality from it.

Привет товарищ ))))

I don't understand why people think the modmic is supposed to sound good.... it's only priced as it is due to the noise cancelling and universality. Just because a youtuber is able to get his to sound good, doesn't mean you'll be able to achieve the same.

I don't understand why people think the modmic is supposed to sound good.... it's only priced as it is due to the noise cancelling and universality. Just because a youtuber is able to get his to sound good, doesn't mean you'll be able to achieve the same.

I find it hard to believe that every sound quality test I've found on YouTube sounds better than mine because they happen to be doing something special to make it sound better. I know for a fact at least some of these people don't have a professional audio setup, yet theirs still sound miles better than mine.

So really, mine should sound the same or near the same. Not significantly worse.

Привет товарищ ))))

I find it hard to believe that every sound quality test I've found on YouTube sounds better than mine because they happen to be doing something special to make it sound better. I know for a fact at least some of these people don't have a professional audio setup, yet theirs still sound miles better than mine.

So really, mine should sound the same or near the same. Not significantly worse.

I guess you could return it and get a new one to see if it was just a problem with yours. While it isn't the best Mic solution, it should definitely sound better than your turtle beach ones.

I guess you could return it and get a new one to see if it was just a problem with yours. While it isn't the best Mic solution, it should definitely sound better than your turtle beach ones.

or he could get sony mic from amazon for 15 bucks

or he could get sony mic from amazon for 15 bucks

I'm honestly temped to just get the Audio Technica AT2020 USB desk mic instead if I can't get the sound quality to be a little better. Not sure yet.

Привет товарищ ))))

I'm honestly temped to just get the Audio Technica AT2020 USB desk mic instead if I can't get the sound quality to be a little better. Not sure yet.

well its only 60 bucks more

well its only 60 bucks more

Hell, now that I see the price of a Blue Snowball mic on Amazon I may get that if I end up not being able to get anything good with my ModMic.

Привет товарищ ))))

Hell, now that I see the price of a Blue Snowball mic on Amazon I may get that if I end up not being able to get anything good with my ModMic.

blue snowball is not so great unless you get it for cheap or buy used... id go straight to 2020 if i were you.

blue snowball is not so great unless you get it for cheap or buy used... id go straight to 2020 if i were you.

Yeah, I figured that out after looking at some opinions of people that have bought it... Maybe I'll try buying that cheap USB soundcard that someone previously mentioned, because I really don't want to fork out more money for a Mic at this point.

Привет товарищ ))))

Just turn up the audio format quality, it works like a charm.

micquality_zps9de0b518.png

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

Well I don't think they all sound terrible, because the review on Tek Syndicate's channel is done using the mic throughout the entire video and it sounds exceptional I think, but mine definitely doesn't sound as good as his. I was expecting mine to at least sound a bit better than the one on my Turtle Beaches.

The ModMic isn't USB powered so one thing is missing: A good sound card(then you'll understand why they recommend it so much).

Even though our on-board audio are good that doesn't mean is going to replace a sound card(they're not that good).

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Just turn up the audio format quality, it works like a charm.

-snip-

I'll definitely try this out. Thanks. :)

The ModMic isn't USB powered so one thing is missing: A good sound card(then you'll understand why they recommend it so much).

Even though our on-board audio are good that doesn't mean is going to replace a sound card(they're not that good).

Hmm. Is there a good sound card you can recommend then that isn't too expensive?  Preferably an external USB one?

Привет товарищ ))))

I'll definitely try this out. Thanks. :)

Hmm. Is there a good sound card you can recommend then that isn't too expensive?  Preferably an external USB one?

Don't know about external, what I used is an Asus Xonar from my friend, and it does(his ModMic) sound very clear compared to how it was before the sound card. But external sound cards does the trick too I guess.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p