Is moving or copying a file faster?

Spev
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

it's the same...

Both involve moving the entirety of the content from point A, to point B.

Difference it copy pasting leaves a copy of the content in both locations.

moving a file (within the same partition) will just change the pointer to the file location of the data. It does not physically move the bits to another place unless it is a different partition.

this is pretty much instant

copying a file will actually duplicate all the bits to a SECOND location, while also creating a separate pointer to the new file.

this will be limited to the write speed of the drive the file is being copied to, aka not as fast

Please only respond if you are 100% sure of the answer. Is moving or copying a file faster, assuming it's on the same drive?

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

You're moving it to a different spot on the same drive? I would just move it.

Is it an SSD or HDD?

I dragged my entire steam library (over 100gb) from my 256gb ssd to my 500gb ssd, and it took under 10 mins.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Is it an SSD or HDD?

I dragged my entire steam library (over 100gb) from my 256gb ssd to my 500gb ssd, and it took under 10 mins.

well no shit theyre both ssds...

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

if its from one drive to another it wont make a difference, however why not just move it? it makes more room on the 1st drive.

if its on one drive all its doing is changing the information the drive needs to find it, i believe.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Is it an SSD or HDD?

I'm thinking it's moving the file, because copying (with a larger file would be noticeable) could possibly have a visible load time where you can see a progress bar copying a large folder for example. However if you simply move the file it will simply re-assign the file path of the file/folder, making it faster?

It doesn't matter if SSD or HDD I need to find out the answer to the question in general. I'm assuming which ever is correct would apply the same to both SSD and HDD.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

if its from one drive to another it wont make a difference, however why not just move it? it makes more room on the 1st drive.

if its on one drive all its doing is changing the information the drive needs to find it, i believe.

I understand what you're saying. I have to know the answer of this question as part of a bigger project for a class I'm taking, so factors like having more space on the first SSD/HDD doesn't apply here. I just simply need to know which is physically faster for a fact.

I understand what you're saying. I have to know the answer of this question as part of a bigger project for a class I'm taking, so factors like having more space on the first SSD/HDD doesn't apply here. I just simply need to know which is physically faster for a fact.

it's the same...

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

In Windows, moving on the same SSD or HDD is incredibly fast, because you're just updating the table that says where a file is located. Copying a file involves opening the file, reading the file, and writing the identical information to the new location. 

Moving between SSDs or HDDs is essentially just copying the file to the new drive, and deleting the original.

Moving on the same SSD or HDD is incredibly fast, because you're just updating the table that says where a file is located. Copying a file involves opening the file, reading the file, and writing the identical information to the new location. 

Moving between SSDs or HDDs is essentially just copying the file to the new drive, and deleting the original.

That's what I'm thinking. It just has to re-assign the file location, compared to re-creating a copy of all the contents.

it's the same...

moving a file (within the same partition) will just change the pointer to the file location of the data. It does not physically move the bits to another place unless it is a different partition.

this is pretty much instant

copying a file will actually duplicate all the bits to a SECOND location, while also creating a separate pointer to the new file.

this will be limited to the write speed of the drive the file is being copied to, aka not as fast

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if its on the same drive moving doesnt actually "move" the files, it just changes their path. meaning that when its on the same drive, moving will always be faster. (moving a 50GB folder can take less than a second if its not a lot of files)

when copying on the same hard drive, you'll be working at (about) half of the read/write speed of the drive, since you're constantly both reading and writing. while copying from one drive to an other will be either limited on the read speed of the first, write speed of the second, or the link in between (eg. if its over a slow network)