is 60 degrees Celcius Bad for gpu at idel.

xxMrTimelessxx
Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

My machine has higher idle temps too.

Using multi monitors it will run at 300/1250 instead of 300/150.

This can lead to an increase of 5-15 *c depending on your climate/airflow.

Check Gpu stats to see if its using 300/150 or 300/1250.

The higher idle state would be using more voltage too,hence the higher temps.

Although it was already stated.

I recently installed a new psu. my old one didn't have a fan facing down on the gpu but this one does and i am worried that its suction of air will make it harder for my gpu to suck air to cool itsself down. Your guys thoughts. i dont know if 60 degrees celcius is normal for my gpu since i never checked it with the old psu on.

if its an amd gpu thats fine Iget 70-80 (but thats due to my fan curve)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I recently installed a new psu. my old one didn't have a fan facing down on the gpu but this one does and i am worried that its suction of air will make it harder for my gpu to suck air to cool itsself down. Your guys thoughts. i dont know if 60 degrees celcius is normal for my gpu since i never checked it with the old psu on.

That's a little high for my liking. What are your system specs?

Edit: I'm a derp.

My system specs are ... Mainboard :    PEGATRON CORPORATION 2AB5
Chipset :    Intel H67
Processor :    Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3400   MHz  (max : 3800)
Physical Memory :    16384  MB  (4 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card :    AMD Radeon HD 6670
Hard Disk :    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G (500GB)
Hard Disk :    Seagate ST1000DX001-1CM162 (1000GB)
DVD-Rom Drive :    Hewlett-Packard CDDVDW TS-H653T
Monitor Type :    Asus MX279 - 27 inches
Monitor Type :    Unspecified
Network Card :    Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System :    Windows 7 Professional Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX :    Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index :    7.1 on 7.9

Video Card :    AMD Radeon HD 6670

60 is quite a bit higher then recommended idle for a 6670. Is the heatsink clean of dust?

"Rawr XD"

if its an amd gpu thats fine Iget 70-80 (but thats due to my fan curve)

Idling at 60 is not normal for any GPU

@xxMrTimelessxx

Clean it and something tells me your case is shite

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

my 760 is around 40. 85 at load

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

The big change i made is my psu which now sucks air out from the gpu basiclly which has the fan pointing down since its installed on the top and my gpu is under it with a smaller fan so i don't know if thats making my gpu to hot at idel

@xxMrTimelessxx

well my case is small so thats most likely why its about a foot and a half tall 8 inches in width and length is a foot and half

do you guys know of a case thats bigger that is compatible with my motherboard i might just transfer my componets in there. and see if that helps.

If anything, the PSU is blowing air ON the GPU. That may have undesired effects. Another thing to check is 

a. how much dust is there in cooling fins

b. if the thermal paste needs replacing

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

if you have more than one monitor connected, you will idle at much higher temperatures. GPU vendors really need to put a label on the packaging that states this... I see at least a half dozen threads per week asking about high idle temps.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If anything, the PSU is blowing air ON the GPU. That may have undesired effects. Another thing to check is 

a. how much dust is there in cooling fins

b. if the thermal paste needs replacing

dust is not an issue since i clean the inside of my pc's once a year. Also the psu fan is sucking air out of the case i can feel the back of the case blowing air out so it cant be blowing air on the gpu if anything its preventing it from sucking air as good as it can.

dust is not an issue since i clean the inside of my pc's once a year.

and b. ?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

@xxMrTimelessxx

290's have an idle of about 60

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

if you have more than one monitor connected, you will idle at much higher temperatures. GPU vendors really need to put a label on the packaging that states this... I see at least a half dozen threads per week asking about high idle temps.

Oh ok so thats normal than? i hope so because i really don't want to change the case. i do have dual monitors but i mostly just watch videos on youtube at 1080p so  is 60 normal than.

all r9 series have an idle of about 60

No, no they don't. They really really don't....

Facepalm_stick_figure.jpg

My 7870xt didn't even hit 60C in BF4....

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Oh ok so thats normal than? i hope so because i really don't want to change the case. i do have dual monitors but i mostly just watch videos on youtube at 1080p so  is 60 normal than.

60 is not normal. My 7870xt idled at 30-35C with 2 monitors connected and that's basically an R9 270

and b. ?

well i don't know about that i have had this computer for about 3 years so i wouldn't think so.

all r9 series have an idle of about 60

NO. In the words of linus "YOU ARE JUST WRONG!"

Blind AMD Fanboy: DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

Its on the high end of normal if you have dual monitors. depends also on the temperature in you room.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Its on the high end of normal if you have dual monitors. depends also on the temperature in you room.

its around 16 degrees celcuis or 61 degrees fahrenhit

I'm so confused some say its normal than others say no.

EXTREMELY BAD. a gpu average is to run 60c at load.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015