4690k OC but now what?

Go to solution Solved by runit3,

Im running 4.6Ghz with 1.250V stable on custom loop.

I will be using my OC 24/7 and my PC is for gaming

What else must i do? I have read about the following but dont know what i must and must not do as not all guides mention all of them.

MSI MB

• SVID Communication- Disable this
  • VCCIN Voltage- 2.000V
  • CPU Core Voltage- Set back to Auto/Adaptive when done OCing (but wont this run stock voltage and make the new seed unstable)
  • CPU Ring Voltage- needs to be the same as Core (but if core is on adaptive then must i leave this on Adaptive?)
  • CPU SA Voltage- if going 4.7Ghz or more up it by 0.060v
  • DRAm Voltage- set to manual 1.5 (im using 1600mhz ram)
  • CPU Ring ratio- be 1=1 with core speed but some say it does nothing and to leave it on adaptive.
  • Anything else im missing?

• SVID Communication- *Is probably already disabled if you have adjusted VCCIN, manually disable if it isn't already.
  • VCCIN Voltage- ***DO NOT SET ABOVE 1.9v*** Seriously, there's no need. A setting of 1.9v will usually net 1.87-1.88v after vdrop.
  • CPU Core Voltage- Just leave it on manual where you have it stable. C-states and Intel speed stepping should take care of the power issues.
  • CPU Ring Voltage- This does NOT need to be the same as Vcore. The voltage the cache needs is entirely dependent on your cache OC. Think of your core OC and your cache OC as two entirely separate OC's that may need entirely different voltages.
  • CPU SA Voltage- This is largely unnecessary for Z97, but if you feel the need... not sure where the stock settings are but .06v may seem a tad high just to throw at it.
  • DRAm Voltage- Use your XMP settings or manufacturer's specifications for RAM voltage, do not look at any other values besides what's on the box.
  • CPU Ring ratio- 1:1 core:ring is a lofty goal. A vast majority of chips can't do it. The only net gain you're likely to see is in synthetic benchmarks like Cinebench, and even then only by a small margin on the Z97 platform.

Run a variety of synth and real world benchmarks/tests to make absolutely certain your OC is stable across all applications that you are likely to use. XTU for 4-8 hours along with x264 encoding, AIDA64 passes, and a good couple hours of gaming will usually do the trick.

What else must i do? I have read about the following but dont know what i must and must not do as not all guides mention all of them.

MSI MB

SO PLEASE tell me fro mthe below what i must and must not do and whats missing that i should do

• VCCIN Voltage- 2.000V
  • CPU Core Voltage- Set back to Auto/Adaptive when done OCing (but wont this run stock voltage and make the new seed unstable) SOLVED BY Lotus- will leave it on 1.250v
  • CPU Ring Voltage- needs to be the same as Core (but if core is on adaptive then must i leave this on Adaptive?)
  • CPU Ring ratio- be 1=1 with core speed but some say it does nothing and to leave it on adaptive.

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

You lucky lucky bastard. Here I am with 4.5ghz at 1.275V with an offset of 0.030V (basically 1.305V).

Everything seems good. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Do NOT set your voltage back to adaptive. Adaptive voltage = bad. It's a crutch to keep CPUs stable by supplying more voltage than permitted by the voltage settings, and with overclocks a voltage spike could be problematic, usually in the form of heat but in extreme overclocks it can even damage the CPU.

You lucky lucky bastard. Here I am with 4.5ghz at 1.275V with an offset of 0.030V (basically 1.305V).

Everything seems good. 

So what in that list must i do and what must i not do?

Do NOT set your voltage back to adaptive. Adaptive voltage = bad. It's a crutch to keep CPUs stable by supplying more voltage than permitted by the voltage settings, and with overclocks a voltage spike could be problematic, usually in the form of heat but in extreme overclocks it can even damage the CPU.

Ok thanks ill leave it on 1.250v then, anything else from that list that i must or must not do?

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

MSI MB

• VCCIN Voltage- 2.000V
  • CPU Core Voltage- Set back to Auto/Adaptive when done OCing (but wont this run stock voltage and make the new seed unstable)

• SVID Communication- *Is probably already disabled if you have adjusted VCCIN, manually disable if it isn't already.
  • VCCIN Voltage- ***DO NOT SET ABOVE 1.9v*** Seriously, there's no need. A setting of 1.9v will usually net 1.87-1.88v after vdrop.
  • CPU Core Voltage- Just leave it on manual where you have it stable. C-states and Intel speed stepping should take care of the power issues.
  • CPU Ring Voltage- This does NOT need to be the same as Vcore. The voltage the cache needs is entirely dependent on your cache OC. Think of your core OC and your cache OC as two entirely separate OC's that may need entirely different voltages.
  • CPU SA Voltage- This is largely unnecessary for Z97, but if you feel the need... not sure where the stock settings are but .06v may seem a tad high just to throw at it.
  • DRAm Voltage- Use your XMP settings or manufacturer's specifications for RAM voltage, do not look at any other values besides what's on the box.
  • CPU Ring ratio- 1:1 core:ring is a lofty goal. A vast majority of chips can't do it. The only net gain you're likely to see is in synthetic benchmarks like Cinebench, and even then only by a small margin on the Z97 platform.

Run a variety of synth and real world benchmarks/tests to make absolutely certain your OC is stable across all applications that you are likely to use. XTU for 4-8 hours along with x264 encoding, AIDA64 passes, and a good couple hours of gaming will usually do the trick.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |