Can i put rice in my PSU?

Go to solution Solved by ChipWoodChainSaw,

It works! yea swag

My new power supply came in today for my first build an so i plugged it into one of my computers to make sure it worked... I was turning around and i bumped a glass and it splashed water into it. It wasnt plugged in, do you think i can save it by covering it in rice?

Take it apart, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE, and let it dry out. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

You can, but just make sure to be able to get  every single last grain of rice out of there

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

It should be fine to put rice in it as long as it's all dried out afterwards.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

oh my god

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Do not do anything but gently wipe off all the water you can and leave it to dry for at least 2 days depending on the amount

do not put rice in it

rice could get stuck some ware and cause a fire or short out your PSU

careful remove the outer case, leave to dry for a few says. do not touch anything inside. i recommend using a hair dry to blow it every so often for around 2 mins. or place it in a room that gets very warm but not humid

should i break the seal and void the 3 year warranty or just pour it thought the fan?

you already have most likely voided the warranty. theres probably even a water seal inside to show this

Do not do anything but gently wipe off all the water you can and leave it to dry for at least 2 days depending on the amount

do not put rice in it

rice could get stuck some ware and cause a fire or short out your PSU

hey a flaming PSU sounds like a cool mod:D

I am surprised no said this yet

if-your-phone-gets-wet-trying-putting-it

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

get a hair dryer and dry it out.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

should i break the seal and void the 3 year warranty or just pour it thought the fan?

The warranty is likely already voided. Feel free to pour it through the grill as long as you're confident that you can shake it all back out. You could otherwise just leave it to dry longer in a bag of rice. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Instead fooling around with rice and the potential of leaving particles behind, just let it dry. It will evaporate on its own. How much water did you spill into it? Breaking the seal is not wise at all.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

dont do rice, if it was a phone id say rice but id recommend doing what linus did with his dell and just let it site by a fan for a week.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Was the PSU on when the water hit? I'd recommend not breaking the seal, and letting it sit for a good few says.  After a few days, jumper the PSU so that you can plug it in and let it's fan run.  That'll give the insides some forced airflow to help with the drying without putting the rest of your components at risk.  The various protection circuits on the PSU should have protected it and should continue to protect it through the drying process.  If it doesn't stay on/isn't stable, let it sit passive for another few days, and repeat.

OCP should shut down the PSU if there's still any water creating a short, and pushing air will help dry out the remaining trace water and moisture that could create a short when the PSU is running at load.

Rice + moving parts don't mix well. And in addition, the warmer and moister rice gets, the more conductive it becomes.  So a grain of rice that has soaked up moisture, gets stuck, and then warm, could become conductive and short things out on it's own.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

if it was off when you spilled the water then no problem... unplug it, and let it dry, rice or no rice, its just a matter of time... I can turn my pc off and splash a bucket of water on it, and then let it dry for a week, and it will work... once the water evaporates 100% it will be fine... 

you can put it near a radiator in your room or if your bathroom has a heating floor then put it there for a couple of nights ...

I am surprised no said this yet

if-your-phone-gets-wet-trying-putting-it

probably abusive to some people, but bloody fun none the less ;) thanks!

There's probably several silica gel packets in all new stuff you got. I'd use those rather than rice. Seems like it would be a massive pain in the balls to get all the rice out.

Would be a pain in the arse to get it all out afterwards. Also you have to be really careful inside psus as they still hold charge even when off.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1

My new power supply came in today for my first build an so i plugged it into one of my computers to make sure it worked... I was turning around and i bumped a glass and it splashed water into it. It wasnt plugged in, do you think i can save it by covering it in rice?

Please don't put rice in it. Rice leaves residue. Let it air dry.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Don't take it apart and don't put rice in it. Just let it dry for a small weeks time and keep your warranty

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black