Help with basics of (CPU) air cooling?

LegacyStijncat
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

1. A cooler takes air in and exhausts air out. This is usually done with fans and the direction the air goes usually depends on which direction the fans are facing. 

2. The fans need power to spin, yes. Fan controllers can be used to manipulate the fan speed.

3. Most heatsinks just mount onto the motherboard--look at any heatsink installation. I'm not sure what you mean by sides. 

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

Can someone help me with my fans?

I'm going to get the boxed intel processor i5-4670K (socket LGA 1150), including a stock fan which I'm NOT going to use, and instead I'm going te get a quiet, strong CPU cooler fan.

Now, I've got some questions:

• Is the CPU cooler meant to take air in or out?
  • Is the CPU cooler meant to be connected to a fan controller? (Like the NZXT Sentry series)
  • Where do you place the CPU cooler? One end goes on the CPU itself, but where do you do the other side? Mount it on the case like a normal fan?

Thanks in advance!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

1. A cooler takes air in and exhausts air out. This is usually done with fans and the direction the air goes usually depends on which direction the fans are facing. 

2. The fans need power to spin, yes. Fan controllers can be used to manipulate the fan speed.

3. Most heatsinks just mount onto the motherboard--look at any heatsink installation. I'm not sure what you mean by sides. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Maybe you shouldn't be building your own computer if you have those questions, seriously. Go watch some videos on YT of how to build a computer and some install videos for popular air coolers (hyper 212, dark rock pro, Ect)

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

The fan on the cooler can either push or pull air through the cooler itself.

The controller can be connected to your motherboard directly via 4-pin PWM which will allow control of the speed. It could also be connected to something like the Sentry series as well.

You simply place the cooler on the CPU. The fan is connected to the cooler.

1. It's meant to exhaust air

2. For the sake of simplicity--connect your fan to the "cpu fan" header, but you can use a fan controller

3. The whole unit will mount on the motherboard

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

• The fan blows air through the fins of the heatsink. It will work pulling air through but it is generally placed to push air in through heatsink.

The fan on your CPU cooler should be connected to your CPU fan header on your motherboard.

The CPU cooler mounts on the motherboard over the CPU but hangs freely on the other end.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k (4.5GHz) GPU: EVGA 980ti Classified Memory: 8Gb G.Skill(1600) CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x41 MB: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Storage: 250Gb Velociraptor /  240Gb Crucial M500 Case: Corsair Air 540 PSU: Rosewill 630W

Thanks everyone!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)