Watercooling with NZXT G10 - VRAM Cooling

makomako

I recently purchased a Saphhire R9 270x Dual-X, while I got what I wanted out of the card the thing unfortunately tends to get quite noisy. I decided to try using the Kraken G10 as I had an H55 collecting dust in some box however after taking apart the card I found out that pretty much all the RAM modules were located around the GPU chip and with the way the G10 is designed it only blows air on one side.

So here's my question, could I get away with having the RAM totally exposed like this without any direct cooling? I have 2 other fans that could be set up in a way to blow in the direction of the card.

Yeah, realistically, but it's the VRM modules that probably should be the cause for concern for you here.

I'd get some of those miniature heatsinks for them.

EDIT:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-001-WC&emcs0=2&emcs1=Produktdetailseite&emcs2=WC-557-EK&emcs3=HS-001-WC

Edited by tomlambert01

Compatible with Windows 95

@Faceman usually says that there isn't a problem. you could get heatsinks if you want though

Edit: wait, this seems like a different situation than normal. Normally, people are saying that the fan isn't enough for cooling. But you're saying that the fan doesn't cover everything?

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

@Faceman usually says that there isn't a problem. you could get heatsinks if you want though

Edit: wait, this seems like a different situation than normal. Normally, people are saying that the fan isn't enough for cooling. But you're saying that the fan doesn't cover everything?

Exactly. It only covers one side of the card where the vrm would usually be however that's not the case with mine. Pretty weird considering the manual says the bracket is compatible with the 270x.

I recently purchased a Saphhire R9 270x Dual-X, while I got what I wanted out of the card the thing unfortunately tends to get quite noisy. I decided to try using the Kraken G10 as I had an H55 collecting dust in some box however after taking apart the card I found out that pretty much all the RAM modules were located around the GPU chip and with the way the G10 is designed it only blows air on one side.

So here's my question, could I get away with having the RAM totally exposed like this without any direct cooling? I have 2 other fans that could be set up in a way to blow in the direction of the card.

You will be perfectly fine not using heatsinks, but it is recommended if available.  In the meantime, definitely have some spare fans pointing directly at the card, specifically the exposed areas.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

My mem chips have been fine without any heatsinks. If anything the ones farthest from the power system which is where the fan is (unless you have a special PCB/non reference) tend to be cooler than the ones near the power system. I do have a side panel fan that blows at the card - but the G10 bracket does help block some of the air flow from the fan. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So I went ahead and installed everything. No issues so far. I've got a 140mm attached to the HDD cage blowing air onto the card. Everything seems to be staying cool.