Ram channels?

Hello, i want to ask you guys is it possible and how to install quad channel ram in to dual channel supported mobo and what those cahnnel mean?

Hello, i want to ask you guys is it possible and how to install quad channel ram in to dual channel supported mobo and what those cahnnel mean?

the memory controller on the 8 and 9 series platform will support 2 RAMs working in parallel and in theory dual-channel configurations will double the memory bandwidth

you can install 4 DIMMs on the Z97 mobo for example, but there is a chance the system will not boot until you remove the 2 extra DIMMs

quad channel is only supported on the X79 and X99 platforms

you can read the wiki extract

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

the memory controller on the 8 and 9 series platform will support 2 RAMs working in parallel and in theory dual-channel configurations will double the memory bandwidth

you can install 4 DIMMs on the Z97 mobo for example, but there is a chance the system will not boot until you remove the 2 extra DIMMs

thanks

There is no dual or quad channel RAM. RAM is just RAM. CPUs/motherboards can communicate with RAM through a different number of channels. "Quad channel" RAM kits only provide you with the minimum number of sticks (which are verified to work together) for quad channel (=4 sticks). If you put 4 sticks into a dual channel board, the RAM will still simply run in dual channel, but with double total RAM size. Nothing more, nothing less.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Terve!

I'll throw in my stuff as well, because I made other experiances.

There is no dual or quad channel RAM. RAM is just RAM. CPUs/motherboards can communicate with RAM through a different number of channels. "Quad channel" RAM kits only provide you with the minimum number of sticks (which are verified to work together) for quad channel (=4 sticks). If you put 4 sticks into a dual channel board, the RAM will still simply run in dual channel, but with double total RAM size. Nothing more, nothing less.

You can be right here. I never tested two dual channel kits in quad channel (mainly because I do not have a mainboard to support it).

Anyway: If you want to run quad channel, please use a quad channel kit. There is nothing more frustrating than RAM that does not accept each other and as soon as you are in the quad channel pricerange a few more bucks do not count anymore.

That is not true, at least from what I have experianced. If you have a quad channel kit in a dual channel board it will simply run in dual channel with its bandwith. The RAM cannot force the mainboard to use quad channel.

Both of my machines that have that kind of RAM configuration rund fine. At least in terms of RAM.

So, to answer your question at last:

Yes, it is absolutely possible and you can install it as if it was a dual channel kit (I guess you know that?).

Channel means, as said, "a link where RAM and CPU can communicate with each other".

I hope I clarified all the thing in here.

Sayonara!

Only X79 and X99 chipsets support quad-channel memory.

I suspect you're asking because you saw a package of RAM advertised as a "quad-channel kit?" As far as I know, that's just the same memory in a four-pack, basically. It should run fine as two pairs in dual-channel mode, as long as it's the proper type of memory that your motherboard supports (usually 240-pin DDR3-SDRAM). Watch out for DDR4, which is currently only usable with X99.

Terve!

You can be right here. I never tested two dual channel kits in quad channel (mainly because I do not have a mainboard to support it).

Anyway: If you want to run quad channel, please use a quad channel kit. There is nothing more frustrating than RAM that does not accept each other and as soon as you are in the quad channel pricerange a few more bucks do not count anymore.

That is not true, at least from what I have experianced. If you have a quad channel kit in a dual channel board it will simply run in dual channel with its bandwith. The RAM cannot force the mainboard to use quad channel.

Both of my machines that have that kind of RAM configuration rund fine. At least in terms of RAM.

Yes, it is absolutely possible and you can install it as if it was a dual channel kit (I guess you know that?).

Channel means, as said, "a link where RAM and CPU can communicate with each other".

Sayonara!

Didnt know that. Noted.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

thanks

Just to clarify this. The modules you buy as a "quad channel kit" or a "dual channel kit" are just memory modules made to the same spec that have been tested to work together.

The memory controller is part of the motherboard or CPU (depending on your generation of computer) which controls how many channels your memory can work in.

The memory itself, is a single channel. Quad channel, just means the CPU can run 4 simultaneous instructions through 4 different physical modules in parallel.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Terve!

Sayonara!

Only X79 and X99 chipsets support quad-channel memory.

I suspect you're asking because you saw a package of RAM advertised as a "quad-channel kit?" As far as I know, that's just the same memory in a four-pack, basically. It should run fine as two pairs in dual-channel mode, as long as it's the proper type of memory that your motherboard supports (usually 240-pin DDR3-SDRAM). Watch out for DDR4, which is currently only usable with X99.

Didnt know that. Noted.

Just to clarify this. The modules you buy as a "quad channel kit" or a "dual channel kit" are just memory modules made to the same spec that have been tested to work together.

The memory controller is part of the motherboard or CPU (depending on your generation of computer) which controls how many channels your memory can work in.

The memory itself, is a single channel. Quad channel, just means the CPU can run 4 simultaneous instructions through 4 different physical modules in parallel.

thank you so much guys you really helped me

thank you so much guys you really helped me

Terve!

I am always happy to help.

Sayonara!

Shadow