Upgrading my CPU

fuzedzn

So i currently have an AMD FX 6100 @ 4.2Ghz however its starting to become a bottleneck for my 7870 so im wanting to upgrade.

Im unsure on either an FX 8350 or an i7 3770k...

I do alot of gaming but i also do a little video/image editing from time to time.

Any thoughts on what i should go for?

-Fuze

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

I don't think that cpu would bottleneck that card during gaming. It could be your motherboard. Is it able to run that card at full speed? pci e 16x, 8x, 4x?

Or are you saying that the cpu is limiting your video encoding speed?

• Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5Ghz

Sapphire 7950

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Cooler Master 850w

Corsair H100i

Fractal Design Define R4

Roccat Kone+ Mouse

Logitech G15 Keyboard

That CPU isnt a problem. As said above check if your GPU is installed on the right pcie slot. (usually the top most 16x slot)

My Rig- 

• CPU - Intel Core i7 3770
  • Motherboard - Asus P8Z77 V Pro
  • RAM - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz
  • GPU - Asus GTX 660 Ti DC2 @ 1100Mhz Boost
  • PSU - Corsair HX650
  • Case - Corsair 500R White Edition
  • CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
  • Monitor - Samsung S22B370H 21.5'' 1080p
  • HDD - Seagate 1TB @ 7200rpm
  • Optical Drive - LG DVD Writer
  • Keyboard Mouse - Logitech MK200 

The 8350 would be fine, although i can't imagine that CPU bottlenecking that card. If you want to upgrade, if you're on a budget go for the 8350, however if you really want to get maximum performance ( power, heat aswell ) then get a 3570k + Z77 board.

I don't think that cpu would bottleneck that card during gaming. It could be your motherboard. Is it able to run that card at full speed? pci e 16x' date=' 8x, 4x? Or are you saying that the cpu is limiting your video encoding speed?[/quote']

That CPU isnt a problem. As said above check if your GPU is installed on the right pcie slot. (usually the top most 16x slot)

The 7870 is in the top most slot which is 16x (everything is where it should be)

My motherboard is Asrock 970 Extreme 3 so its not that bad

But ive noticed that in CPU intensive games the 6100 is just slacking behind and isnt up to what other cpus could be

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

i would say go for the 8350 if you are in a budget so you can reuse your motherboard, but if you have the money go for a 3570k and a nice z77 mobo like the asrock z77 extreme4, it would be a massive upgrade from your 6100

Id go FX to be honest. Save buying an intel board. I had an extreme3 which was nothing but trouble...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H80i | Case: Corsair 300R | Motherbord: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3| RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz White |

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr OC | Power Supply: Corsair CX750 | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB