Two DIMMs Vs Four DIMMs

Go to solution Solved by ImBleu,

Writing this from my memory;

2 Dimms (8+8GB) vs 4 Dimms (4+4+4+4GB) will make next to no difference in the real world, and maybe a slight difference in synethtics. The only difference is quad vs dual channel memory modes (if you're going x99, on z97 its dual channel or dual channel.)

Advantage of 2 dimms: Can be expanded later (assuming z97)

Advantage of 4 dimms: looks cooler, imho.

Hey guys, this is one for the guys who know their memory.

I'm looking as spec'ing out a new gaming/workstation build (Photo editing, lightweight video editing) and I'm having to do some head scratching when it comes to memory.

The system is going to be based around 4790k and I'm thinking 16GB will be fine for my needs, now my question is: Is there a tangible difference in using 2x8GB DIMMs as opposed to 4x4GB DIMMs?

I get that I could upgrade to 32GB if I go for 2x8GB DIMMs initially. and I might go down this route since multitasking will be a common use case for this machine but for now, I'm looking for any differences in 16GB over 4 or 2 DIMMs.

I only ask here because I'm not really understanding the resources I've found online. Thanks guys!

Push-To-Talk is a wonderful thing.

Hey guys, this is one for the guys who know their memory.

I'm looking as spec'ing out a new gaming/workstation build (Photo editing, lightweight video editing) and I'm having to do some head scratching when it comes to memory.

The system is going to be based around 4790k and I'm thinking 16GB will be fine for my needs, now my question is: Is there a tangible difference in using 2x8GB DIMMs as opposed to 4x4GB DIMMs?

I get that I could upgrade to 32GB if I go for 2x8GB DIMMs initially. and I might go down this route since multitasking will be a common use case for this machine but for now, I'm looking for any differences in 16GB over 4 or 2 DIMMs.

I only ask here because I'm not really understanding the resources I've found online. Thanks guys!

No, because Z97 only supports dual-channel RAM anyways.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Writing this from my memory;

2 Dimms (8+8GB) vs 4 Dimms (4+4+4+4GB) will make next to no difference in the real world, and maybe a slight difference in synethtics. The only difference is quad vs dual channel memory modes (if you're going x99, on z97 its dual channel or dual channel.)

Advantage of 2 dimms: Can be expanded later (assuming z97)

Advantage of 4 dimms: looks cooler, imho.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Nope, its dual channel so you'd be fine with 2 DIMMs. I'd actually say 2 is better, leaves room for stepping up to 32 GB in the future, should you ever desire to do so.

Go with 2 DIMMS, Z97 doesn't support quad-channel and the performance improvement isn't worth the not being able to upgrade much later.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Performance-wise? There will be zero difference. Only X79/X99 benefits from 4 DIMMs instead of 2

"Rawr XD"

Thanks for the quick turn around people. 

So as Z97 is limited to dual channel there is no speed difference, and if I was was to upgrade to 32GB the only benefit would be capacity; unless I was on X99 using DDR4, right?

Push-To-Talk is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for the quick turn around people. 

So as Z97 is limited to dual channel there is no speed difference, and if I was was to upgrade to 32GB the only benefit would be capacity; unless I was on X99 using DDR4, right?

or X79.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Less sticks = less issues

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.