Windows 10 to Still Offer a 32-bit Option

RH00D

there is little indication we will ever go higher than 64bit, in the time until quantum computing takes off, and then we go again :P 1qb, 2qb, 4qb, 8qb, 16qb, etc ;)

Qbits are only useful enmass,they wont be any 1 Qbit computer , I would assume they would start at 64 or 128.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

IMO they should stop making consumer 32 bit operating systems. There are a few uses (can't remember the names of them but they're out there.) that require a 32 bit OS but really that should be just an enterprise marketed OS since the consumer will never ever use them. From a developer stand point it would simplify development since one would only have to worry about a 64 bit debug and release builds. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

IMO they should stop making consumer 32 bit operating systems. There are a few uses (can't remember the names of them but they're out there.) that require a 32 bit OS but really that should be just an enterprise marketed OS since the consumer will never ever use them. From a developer stand point it would simplify development since one would only have to worry about a 64 bit debug and release builds. 

Majority of users don't build their own systems and rely on prebuilt computers. These come with anywhere between 2GB to 16GB of RAM. The lower end would come with 32-bit OS's while the higher end comes with 64-bit. 

As with any transition, phasing out the old has to occur gradually. You can't simply say "okay, no more 32-bit, recode all of your programs as 64-bit or gtfo" - that's a good way for Microsoft to lose even the slightest chance of future customers. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Honestly don't understand why this is a big deal its not like you have to install 32bit....

Absolutely not. They should continue the 64 bit versions that support 32 bit applications. People who demand a 32bit OS have plenty of great choices like Windows 7 that are not going to be obsolete anytime soon. The only way people will start moving forward is if they slowly grow less dependant on older technology.

Majority of users don't build their own systems and rely on prebuilt computers. These come with anywhere between 2GB to 16GB of RAM. The lower end would come with 32-bit OS's while the higher end comes with 64-bit. 

As with any transition, phasing out the old has to occur gradually. You can't simply say "okay, no more 32-bit, recode all of your programs as 64-bit or gtfo" - that's a good way for Microsoft to lose even the slightest chance of future customers. 

I recognize that the majority of users will be buying prebuilt computers. But those prebuilt computers will have a 64 bit processor since the only cpu's on the intel side that don't support 64 bit is a couple from the Atom line up (which not many products use to begin with.) and I don't think AMD manufactures 32 bit desktop processors anymore. Also 64 bit Windows is the same price as 32 bit windows, so really there isnt any reason why the prebuilts cant use 64 bit windows. 

Software on the other hand will be where the transition really takes place. Provided that 32-bit OS's were no longer a thing, new applications would simply be compiled for a 64 bit target, and older applications could wait it out till they need to do a new iteration of their product since the next few iterations of windows will likely still support WOW64 to allow older applications to adjust to changing environments. 

At the end of the day there is really no reason why consumer versions of windows need to have a 32 bit version.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

32-bit applications can run just fine in a 64-bit OS. No reason for software houses to produce 64-bit applications if the 32-bit one can work just as well and at the same time be used on 32-bit systems.

Still a lot of 32-bit CPU's out there.

/me wonders how long it'd take 64 bit to disappear (once 128 starts showing), then 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384 . . . .

While the GPR's are 64-bit todays CPU's already support register sizes up to 256bit but are little used with today's software.

When enough people stop buying 32-bit Operating Systems then I guess MS will stop providing it. ;)

It's not about that, it's mostly people on 64-bit systems who use programs that don't work on 64-bit, just ask like every UK hospital ever.

Programs like IBM PCIS are still in use today, it doesn't work on 64-bit, so they have to use 32-bit windows. There are other programmes too which are 32-bit only, and it costs tens of millions of pounds to upgrade the infrastructure behind that programme; if you were a business, you too would want 32-bit Windows 10.

32-bit apps can run on a 64-bit system though; the opposite will not work.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

They should ax the 32-bit version and push even mobile to 64-bit (most mobile SoCs would be 64-bit by the time Windows 10 shows up).

Having both 32 and 64 bit variants is just causing market fragmentation and hindering progress (most applications will stay 32-bit for compatibility with both variants).

Qbits are only useful enmass,they wont be any 1 Qbit computer , I would assume they would start at 64 or 128.

i know, but we have started with a 1qb computer. iirc we have one that is pretty good accuracy wise already

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Still a lot of 32-bit CPU's out there.

OH PLEASE... Apart from ARM (which this isnt meant to work on) and like, Semi old Atoms (Pine Trail), the last CPU to be 32bit from Intel was the Pentium4 era, and on AMD side, AthlonXP.

I seriously doubt ANYONE using CPUs that old even knows W10 exists, much less plan on installing it (which they cant for other reasons, such as required SSE support since W8)

Edit: I was wrong, they can use it (SSE was introduced in P3), but that does not in any way mean they should, or will.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Perhaps because of tablets

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

OH PLEASE... Apart from ARM (which this isnt meant to work on) and like, Semi old Atoms (Pine Trail), the last CPU to be 32bit from Intel was the Pentium4 era, and on AMD side, Athlon64.

I seriously doubt ANYONE using CPUs that old even knows W10 exists, much less plan on installing it (which they cant for other reasons, such as required SSE support since W8)

You mean Athlon XP? Athlon64 was 64bit.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

You mean Athlon XP? Athlon64 was 64bit.

yes of course... -.- i knew the 64 was the first 64b cpu, and then went look for its predecessor, and managed to determing A64 is the predecessor to the A64... GG me

Perhaps because of tablets

Tablets will never be running the desktop build of windows because

1. You dont just recompile the source code for arm and call it a day, threre is a loot of optimisation going in there
  2. Even when they will (the intel atom based ones) Atoms are all 64bit now, and noone will put a 6 year old atom into a tablet

Just cause you people are all spending ton of money on your builds, doesn't mean nobody will ever have a 32-bit system any more.

What if someone has a PC that matches Windows 10 System Requirements but its 32-bit? I know they can use older versions but what if they want to have some of the new features of Windows 10? And don't tell me "It's time to upgrade", cause, i understand that about games that need 64 bit, etc., but i think that some work can be done very solidly on 32 bit machines, they are not sky and earth different or unusable, compared to 64 bit.

I don't understand people, when something comes out with legacy support, like... that laptop, with vga, people are always like: "WHY!?". And i say, "WHY NOT?" No one is forcing you to use it. I think for one, VGA still works pretty well for people who aren't picky about picture quality, but just want to fricking connect their monitor to their platform.

Understandable, some people still are using 32-bit systems, and don't want to upgrade.

"and don't want to upgrade."so why would they upgrade to windows 10?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

"and don't want to upgrade."so why would they upgrade to windows 10?

Maybe they want new features of Windows 10, but don't want to upgrade their hardware.

Just cause you people are all spending ton of money on your builds, doesn't mean nobody will ever have a 32-bit system any more.

What if someone has a PC that matches Windows 10 System Requirements but its 32-bit? I know they can use older versions but what if they want to have some of the new features of Windows 10? And don't tell me "It's time to upgrade", cause, i understand that about games that need 64 bit, etc., but i think that some work can be done very solidly on 32 bit machines, they are not sky and earth different or unusable, compared to 64 bit.

I don't understand people, when something comes out with legacy support, like... that laptop, with vga, people are always like: "WHY!?". And i say, "WHY NOT?" No one is forcing you to use it. I think for one, VGA still works pretty well for people who aren't picky about picture quality, but just want to fricking connect their monitor to their platform.

Because this. Windows 10 Will not work anything close to satisfactory on a freaking Pentium 3 system, or AthlonXP. let me remid you of these systems....

This is the pentium 3. it came on a fucking card still...

img739724.jpg

This is AthlonXP. DDR1-400MHz 1GB. highend system

Demter_4_by_Phaedrus2401.jpg

OH PLEASE... Apart from ARM (which this isnt meant to work on) and like, Semi old Atoms (Pine Trail), the last CPU to be 32bit from Intel was the Pentium4 era, and on AMD side, AthlonXP.

Edit: I was wrong, they can use it (SSE was introduced in P3), but that does not in any way mean they should, or will.

This is a non issue, keys are interchangeable and have been since Vista so if you've got one but need the other then just grab an ISO and install using your existing key.

OFC MS are gonna keep selling 32 bit, its extra sales for them, and that equals £€¥$¢

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This is a non issue, keys are interchangeable and have been since Vista so if you've got one but need the other then just grab an ISO and install using your existing key.

OFC MS are gonna keep selling 32 bit, its extra sales for them, and that equals £€¥$¢

I dont see how that is extra sales, they are just selling two versions of the same thing, and both will work on every computer they will be installed on. They would have exactly the same amount of sales, and a more secure overall product. as well as less segmentation

Because this. Windows 10 Will not work anything close to satisfactory on a freaking Pentium 3 system, or AthlonXP. let me remid you of these systems....

This is the pentium 3. it came on a fucking card still...

img739724.jpg

This is AthlonXP. DDR1-400MHz 1GB. highend system

Demter_4_by_Phaedrus2401.jpg

As far as i am aware, there still are mid-range pc's which are 32 bit. Just because it is 32 bit doesn't mean that its a fricking pentium 3! I mean, i recal seeing laptops being sold here new, with 32 bit architecture.

Sure they won't have good performance, but... I don't know. I'm sure i saw cpus which are fricking higher end than pentium 4's that are still 32 bit.

Maybe i'm just wrong. But, is Windows 10 supporting 32 bit going to hurt somebody? Or is it taking away some other features? Then why not?

I dont see how that is extra sales, they are just selling two versions of the same thing, and both will work on every computer they will be installed on. They would have exactly the same amount of sales, and a more secure overall product. as well as less segmentation

Both will work on every computer they are installed on? Didn't know that 32 bit systems could run 64 bit os.

I understand why MS might want to have a 32-bit version available, but I'm affraid it might be holding back the 64-bit version...

| Corsair Carbide 400Q | Intel Core i5 6600K | ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB |

| EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 SLI | Noctua NH-L9i | Corsair RM650X | HyperX Fury 240 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB |

Steam: zonetrooper90 | PSN: zonetrooper90 | NNID: zonetrooper90 |

As far as i am aware, there still are mid-range pc's which are 32 bit. Just because it is 32 bit doesn't mean that its a fricking pentium 3! I mean, i recal seeing laptops being sold here new, with 32 bit architecture.

Sure they won't have good performance, but... I don't know. I'm sure i saw cpus which are fricking higher end than pentium 4's that are still 32 bit.

Maybe i'm just wrong. But, is Windows 10 supporting 32 bit going to hurt somebody? Or is it taking away some other features? Then why not?

Both will work on every computer they are installed on? Didn't know that 32 bit systems could run 64 bit os.

There were no 32bit x86 cpus since pentium 3 and athlonXP. whatever youre thinking of is not correct.

Yes it takes away features. those features are more robust security, and speed. quite important i think. As well as market fragmentation and stagnation. FFS i get annoyed when in 12 years of 64bit compute, most programs are still only 32bit, to increase compatibility with all systems (and the idiots instaling them)

a 32bit cpu can never execute 64bit code. but there are no 32bit cpus that can run W10 anyway